By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hope Nintendo published games never have DLC

sethnintendo said:
viewtiful_jon said:

There is lots of DLC that is fairly priced out there. What shouldn't exsist is Day 1 DLC and overpriced Hats for your characters etc.

Some games are fine and give you what you want for your money with the DLC and sometimes its free, Why would you not want Nintendo to give you extra stuff for free 6 months after a game is out??

I belive things like new skins should always be free as they are something which are easy to make and dont change the experiance at all. Extra stages, new characters etc are worth paying for but I do find them normally overpriced, but its also content that would of likely never been in the final game anyway. You think these companys would of delayed the game 3-4 months to give you the extra content you never would of known exsisted. I never used to like DLC but I realised I dont have to buy it and I dont have to buy games that take the piss with rip of DLC ect.

Yea, I can basically agree with everything you said and a few others previously.  If done right, DLC can be a decent value and add decent experience to the game.  I just see Capcom charging for costumes, MK talking about DLC fighters before the game is even released, 15 dollars for 4 multiplayer maps for CoD, etc....  I tend to focus on the negativity of DLC because whenever I see companies abusing DLC it pisses me off.

Things like extra stages would be a rip off for games like Smash.  Especially after Nintendo allowed users to create their own stages in Brawl.  What would be nice is if their would be more games that included level editors.  Mario Kart would pure bliss with addition of level editor.  Instead of allowing the user to create better experience for themselves we have gotten to the point of having the company create something that is probably mediocre compared to what general consumer can create and charging them for it.  I will go back to Civ3 one more time.  For Conquests they included about 8 or so scenarios with unique techs, buildings, races, etc... While those scenarios are pretty good for the most part I can go on civfanatics site and download 20 scenarios that the creator put more time and effort into which are far superior than the ones included in the expansion. 

Level editors used to give the user the ability to create and prolong the game experience.  Now it seems that level editors/scenario editors are almost a thing of the past (except for a few games like Civ, LBP, and a few others).  I am sure CoD players could create better maps than what Treyarch can make.  However, that game's engine has so many problems that there would be a lot of glitches, bugs, etc (hell they can't even get their own maps to work right).  Level editors were the original DLC and were free.

What are you talking about? Cod is one of the most polished games i have played. Yeah the graphics sorta suck in comparision to other shooters, but the smooth gameplay is damn near polished. And the maps work fine. Have you even played COD?

Around the Network

@radiantshadow,

I played WaW and BO on the Wii.  There were a few glitches for WaW (mainly fall under the map at Cliffside and Mankin).  That should have been caught during beta testing.  BO had numerous glitches on their maps but they were able to patch most of them since they started doing patches for BO on Wii (which most of the glitches should have been caught during beta testing).

Don't get me started on BO on the Wii.  For one, I couldn't even log onto the regular multiplayer for a week after I got it.  Turns out you had to create a second profile then go back to the original just for regular multiplayer to work (they addressed that in the first patch).  That shouldn't have even been an issue.  How the hell do you miss that error?  Also, my Wii has frozen about 30 times from BO (out of all my 20 plus Wii games only BO freezes my Wii) It turns out they made hosting suck so bad it freezes your Wii (they tried to address that in the last Wii patch but I still got a freeze (just not as much)).  The Wii freezing has even broke a few people's Wii just from playing BO.  If you release a game that freezes/damages your system then something isn't right.  The game is riddled with errors, bugs, glitches, etc...  I feel like a beta tester.

sethnintendo said:

@radiantshadow,

I played WaW and BO on the Wii.  There were a few glitches for WaW (mainly fall under the map at Cliffside and Mankin).  That should have been caught during beta testing.  BO had numerous glitches on their maps but they were able to patch most of them since they started doing patches for BO on Wii (which most of the glitches should have been caught during beta testing).

Don't get me started on BO on the Wii.  For one, I couldn't even log onto the regular multiplayer for a week after I got it.  Turns out you had to create a second profile then go back to the original just for regular multiplayer to work (they addressed that in the first patch).  That shouldn't have even been an issue.  How the hell do you miss that error?  Also, my Wii has frozen about 30 times from BO (out of all my 20 plus Wii games only BO freezes my Wii) It turns out they made hosting suck so bad it freezes your Wii (they tried to address that in the last Wii patch but I still got a freeze (just not as much)).  The Wii freezing has even broke a few people's Wii just from playing BO.  If you release a game that freezes/damages your system then something isn't right.  The game is riddled with errors, bugs, glitches, etc...  I feel like a beta tester.

Maybe you should have looked at reviews before buying Cod on the WII. Either way if you want amazing FPS games then HD consoles are the way to go. And it would be sad if Nintendo never took up DLC, i for one would love DLC on the fire emblem games and would have kept my wii longer had they done it.

RolStoppable said:
sethnintendo said:

<snip>...  I feel like a beta tester.

CoD on the HD consoles is a AAA game, on the Wii it's just a B title. It's worlds apart.

Yea, I know they don't care too much about the Wii version (or that it was kind of like an afterthought).  They tried things like streaming the level (because they wanted to please gamers that wanted the entire version of the HD level).  Turns out the streaming of the level during actual gameplay is probably what makes the host crash/freeze.  Then gamers blame the Wii limited memory on that (not the developer) and not including gunships/other killstreaks. 

Anyways, how do you feel about my opinion that Nintendo should include more level editors in their games like they did for Brawl.  For series like F-Zero, Kart, Mario, etc it would be very nice and there wouldn't really be a need for DLC.  Users could create their own content and share it for free.

I agree. I reckon that games should come with full content. Sure, make NEW content and charge for that, but if it's already on the disk or cut out to make consumers pay, no way. I'd rather have less.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
sethnintendo said:

Yea, I know they don't care too much about the Wii version (or that it was kind of like an afterthought).  They tried things like streaming the level (because they wanted to please gamers that wanted the entire version of the HD level).  Turns out the streaming of the level during actual gameplay is probably what makes the host crash/freeze.  Then gamers blame the Wii limited memory on that (not the developer) or not including gunships/other killstreaks. 

Anyways, how do you feel about my opinion that Nintendo should include more level editors in their games like they did for Brawl.  For series like F-Zero, Kart, Mario, etc it would be very nice and there wouldn't really be a need for DLC.  Users could create their own content and share it for free.

Level editors are a better solution than paid for DLC. But honestly, everything you don't have to pay for is a better solution than something you have to pay for.

Personally, I wouldn't use level editors much nor would I care to play the creations of others. What I make usually ends up being disappointing and the same holds true for pretty much everyone else. In an ideal case, you don't need editors nor DLC to make the game last for a very long time, but that requires hard work on the side of the developers.

Yea, the main problem with level editors is that they usually have to dumb them down for the general user.  I remember back in Duke Nukem 3D days when I was creating levels and that editor wasn't the most user friendly.  The editor pretty much allowed you to do anything but you also had to memorize a lot (memorizing numbers for different textures/graphics).   For instance, the common user will not want to remember that the number 452 is for a fire hydrant.  There are games though that users can create something worthwhile (Civ, LBP, etc).  The editors just need to be more in depth without being too complicated for the general user.  I for one can't even grasp the Civ level editors to make a decent scenario (I can make a map but I never figured out how to even have preset cities) but I am glad that people over at CivFanatics website were able to. 

A perfect game would be that you don't need editors or DLC.  For some reason Animal Crossing pulls me in every iteration.  While the last one for the Wii could have been a lot better; they did do a few things right.  One was that when you logged online you would get free furniture, clothes, or hats from Nintendo on certain days (this was in Wild World and I think to some extent the original).  While most companies now would have charged for that Nintendo at least offered it for free.  Even though these items were (I am pretty sure) already on the disc they at least unlocked it for free and made it seem like they were giving you something special for free.  Animal Crossing could be turned into a cash cow but I am pretty sure Nintendo will not go that route.

There is a big difference between free and paid DLC and my opinion varies as a result

RolStoppable said:

Picross 3D shows how DLC is done right. End of story.

i'm not familar - what did it do?

OT - i like DLC when done right, don't bash all DLC just because some of it is a waste of money.  just be an intelligent consumer and buy what makes sense.

Are you kidding.  DLC has been one of the best additions to consoles this gen.  And games like Smash Bros Brawl or Pokemon Battle Revolution should have had it long ago.

Nintendo also thinks like OP and that every game they release should be perfect.  But that's not always the case, with bugs or broken characters and more.  And even taking that into account, DLC is not this evil thing that brings down production values.  Look at a game like Red Dead Redemption.  It had a 50 hour main game and TONS of content.  Then it just had 5 additional free DLC packs added later to expand multiplayer options.

I for one hope the next Nintendo system has an option for DLC.  Smash Bros Brawl would have been one of the best games this gen if it had additional levels/level editor options for DLC.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Are you kidding.  DLC has been one of the best additions to consoles this gen.  And games like Smash Bros Brawl or Pokemon Battle Revolution should have had it long ago.

Nintendo also thinks like OP and that every game they release should be perfect.  But that's not always the case, with bugs or broken characters and more.  And even taking that into account, DLC is not this evil thing that brings down production values.  Look at a game like Red Dead Redemption.  It had a 50 hour main game and TONS of content.  Then it just had 5 additional free DLC packs added later to expand multiplayer options.

I for one hope the next Nintendo system has an option for DLC.  Smash Bros Brawl would have been one of the best games this gen if it had additional levels/level editor options for DLC.

Brawl did have free additional levels/level editor.  They offered a free download map of the week (or whatever, never got too much into the online play because of the lag issue) for awhile and you could create your own stages.