By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter: PS Vita “The Dumbest Name Ever”

PullusPardus said:
twesterm said:

For once I agree with Pachter! 

It doesn't really change my opinion of him but it's nice I agree with him.  There are silly names like iPod, Wii, and Kinect that roll off the tongue and/or just makes sense.

iPod -- completely made up word but it uses apple i branding (even though it wasn't that large yet) and it sounded good.

Wii -- Another made up word and it sounds a bit vulgar but it is memorable and it rolls of the tongue well.  There's also that whole Wii would like to play thing.

Kinect -- Oh I see it's all about movement and that connection being the controller, it makes perfect sense.

Vita -- Vita, vita, vita.  It really doesn't sound very good, it doesn't roll off the tongue at all, and it really doesn't have any connection to anything.

it even sounds like Visa, which people are most likely to missunderstood in random conversation.

Even Vista (the word, not the product) is better than Vita.  Vista has an S in it and it just makes it sound better and also helps it's an actual word  The best you can say about Vita is it sounds like pita. 

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

Remember when everyone thought the Move was going to be called the Arc?

Listen to this wise man

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I'm looking forward to the slim model.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

trasharmdsister12 said:
d21lewis said:
badgenome said:

Holy shit. This is the second time in a week I've agreed with Pachter. Hold me, d21! I'm scared!

*holds badgenome*

It was everything I dreamed it would be!! I hope this moment never ends!

*grabs popcorn*

Oh don't mind me...

I don't know about you but I'm grabbing some lube.  Proceed.

LOL! I have to agree with Pachter on this one.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
PullusPardus said:

it even sounds like Visa, which people are most likely to missunderstood in random conversation.

Even Vista (the word, not the product) is better than Vita.  Vista has an S in it and it just makes it sound better and also helps it's an actual word  The best you can say about Vita is it sounds like pita. 

That was totally what I was thinking.

The fact that people are complaining about it so much means it's an awesome name.

Remember the complaining when Nintendo changed "Revolution" (every fanboy's dream name) to "Wii?" It was a shitstorm. iPod got a lot of complaints too at first. It's only in retrospect that they seem to be appropriate or fitting names.

Let's look at the name "Vita" for a second:

1. "Vita" is Latin (which means the name crosses language boundaries). It's not like "Playstation" or "Xbox," which can really only be said by their english names.

2. The name appeals to a wider audience. Let's be honest: Names like Playstation and Xbox are a bit outdated. They were simple and meant to appeal primarily to the younger crowd (which were a quickly growing group for gaming in the 90s and early 00s). Now, they actually sound kind of silly if you think about them.

3. "PSV" is a good acronym. It's similar to PSP, but not as awkward as "PSP2."

4. No one here could think of anything better. You might think you could, but your idea is probably actually worse.

lol like some of the other posters I to agree with him for once :O

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I wish Pachter wouldnt open his big mouth so much, most his predictions are false, he's just a goofy guy, and his "facts" are incorrect = FAIL.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M