By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Android removes emulators

Xen said:
Euphoria14 said:

Can any of you "Anti-piracy" crusaders point me in the direction of where I could buy a copy of Terranigma on SNES?

I don't want to hurt the industry and would rather buy it on VC or possibly a newly shipped copy.

Oh yeah and while you are at it, please do the same for Dragon Ball Z: Legend of the Super Sayain. I loved that game back in the day when I...err... fuck, it never released outside of Japan.

Ebay. US SNES is compatible with all Japanese games.

Those are used copies and even if they were not they are no longer in print and they are not receiving money any longer for a title like Terranigma.

As for Dragon Ball Z, I don't speak Japanese.

I instead download a English translated rom and play it that way.

Regardless, considering they didn't want to release it in the US anyways they aren't losing anything they could have potentially gained if I had not downloaded it.

In other words : "No harm, no foul"

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
Xen said:
Euphoria14 said:

Can any of you "Anti-piracy" crusaders point me in the direction of where I could buy a copy of Terranigma on SNES?

I don't want to hurt the industry and would rather buy it on VC or possibly a newly shipped copy.

Oh yeah and while you are at it, please do the same for Dragon Ball Z: Legend of the Super Sayain. I loved that game back in the day when I...err... fuck, it never released outside of Japan.

Those are used copies and even if they were not they are no longer in print and they are not receiving money any longer for a title like Terranigma.

Regardless, considering they didn't want to release it in the US anyways they aren't losing anything they could have potentially gained if I had not downloaded it.

You asked where, I answered ;)

All that other jazz, I know. I'm a retro fan as well ;)

Xen said:
Euphoria14 said:
Xen said:

I know, but I wanted to respond in that way just so I can link back to that post in the future if someone tells me the same thing while attacking me for downloading NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, MAME, etc... roms.

As for retro gaming, I am 100% there with you. Do you have a mobile device? If so, check out Zenonia. You might like it. They are on sale for only $0.99 right now. 

Me, I bought them when they were $5.99 and they were soooo worth it.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
Xen said:
Euphoria14 said:
Xen said:

I know, but I wanted to respond in that way just so I can link back to that post in the future if someone tells me the same thing while attacking me for downloading NES, SNES, Genesis, GB, MAME, etc... roms.

As for retro gaming, I am 100% there with you. Do you have a mobile device? If so, check out Zenonia. You might like it.

The closest I come to mobile devices is my PSP :O

I'll check it out though, next year is smarthphone year for me I think.

Xen said:
Euphoria14 said:
Xen said:
Euphoria14 said:
Xen said:

As for retro gaming, I am 100% there with you. Do you have a mobile device? If so, check out Zenonia. You might like it.

The closest I come to mobile devices is my PSP :O

I'll check it out though, next year is smarthphone year for me I think.

Do that then. Even a year from now the game will still be awesome.

Can't wait for Z3 to release on Android in June. I hate that iUsers have it already.

Currently playing:

Around the Network
Antabus said:
kitler53 said:

oh, and your arguments are pretty valid.  if there is no "legal" route available to make that purchase i can't really condemn you for finding an alternative.

So if I can't acquire something legally, it is ok to steal it? Really?

Not this again.

Digital copying is not stealing because there is no subtraction of any good. At worst it is infringement of copyright.

But - by definition - if you can't buy a copy of a game it means that by obtaining a digital copy of it you're not avoiding to pay anyone for that content, thus you're not damaging anyone with a missed sale - the only kind of damage copyright infringement can bring.

The goal of copyright is to incentive and defend the production of arts and entertainment content. How exactly would not obtaining a copy of a game that can't be bought help the authors?

Yes, in principle a damaged party could sue you for copyright infringement. Who would that be, again?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Zenonia is good (I have Zenonia 2 on my phone) but I can't help but wonder how much better the game would play if I had physical buttons. The virtual D-Pad is annoying. It doesn't make the game unplayable. The game compensates for the lack of D-Pad precision (you don't have to be facing an enemy perfectly to be able to hit them). But physical buttons would help a lot. And the menus are very clunky. You can't just select something from the menu immediately by touching it, you have to cycle through the menu with the virtual D-Pad. Eww. I downloaded the PSN Mini version of Zenonia 1 awhile back but haven't tried it yet. I'd imagine that Zenonia would play a lot better with the physical D-Pad than a virtual one. Zenonia 2 looks like it's going to remain iOS/Android exclusive though so I have no choice but to play it with the virtual D-Pad. Maybe it takes getting used to, I don't know. There are some games that don't work out too well with a touchscreen but some that do. So I get tired from hearing from gamers that smartphone games suck. But yeah, for something like Zenonia and for emulation of old-school 8-bit/16-bit/Playstation 2D that require good D-Pad precision (like Mega Man, Tetris, beat-em-ups, etc.) I don't like touchscreen controls too much.

mrstickball said:
xinstantnoodlez said:
mrstickball said:
xinstantnoodlez said:

paid emulators?? idiots actually paid for an emulator....wow...idiots

So what emulator do you use for Android that is free and works well?

OT: Its sad, but much needed. Yongzh has made millions from his emulators, while the market is likely hurt by his products - why buy other games when $2.99-$4.99 get you hundreds?

I use my PSP, DS, or computer for all my emulation needs...it's nice to have a working d-pad as opposed to a touch screen

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I like having a device I carry around all the time on me when I want to play Final Fantasy III or some Secret of Evermore.

Yeah, I just have a problem with people charging for stuff that should be free, developers can't make money off old games anymore unless its up on wiiware or something like that, so people shouldn't be taken advantage of

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

WereKitten said:
Antabus said:
kitler53 said:

oh, and your arguments are pretty valid.  if there is no "legal" route available to make that purchase i can't really condemn you for finding an alternative.

Not this again.

Digital copying is not stealing because there is no subtraction of any good. At worst it is infringement of copyright.

But - by definition - if you can't buy a copy of a game it means that by obtaining a digital copy of it you're not avoiding to pay anyone for that content, thus you're not damaging anyone with a missed sale - the only kind of damage copyright infringement can bring.

The goal of copyright is to incentive and defend the production of arts and entertainment content. How exactly would not obtaining a copy of a game that can't be bought help the authors?

Yes, in principle a damaged party could sue you for copyright infringement. Who would that be, again?

That is your way to think. Acquiring something without proper compensation might as well be considered stealing by some other.

I live in EU. Therefore I can't buy for example The Last Story, I am not damaging anyone if I download the game? I bet Nintendo agrees with you!

Antabus said:
WereKitten said:
Antabus said:

Not this again.

That is your way to think. Acquiring something without proper compensation might as well be considered stealing by some other.

I live in EU. Therefore I can't buy for example The Last Story, I am not damaging anyone if I download the game? I bet Nintendo agrees with you!

In legal terms stealing and theft are well-defined terms. Not all cases where you "acquire something without proper compensation" fall into their realm.

Moreover there's lots of cases, especially when the goods are of digital or epehemeral nature, where I'm pretty sure you don't think of that as stealing yourself, not even in very subjective terms.

When you read a digital copy of a public domain work, say Shakespeare's plays or the Ilyad you're acquiring something, compensating nobody. Is that theft?

When you borrow a book from a friend of yours, read it and return it and end up not buying the book, are you stealing that content?

If you buy a used DVD, zilch of your money goes to the authors. Have you properly compensated their work?

If you use free-as-in-free-beer, open source software you're getting terribly complex pieces of software infrastructure worth hundreds of thousands of man-hours without paying a cent. Are you stealing?

All these examples are to show that trying to define what is proper doesn't make much sense if your reasoning follows rails based on finite goods. Flawless information replication breaks economic models based on scarcity, and any ethics that wants to economically support the arts must follow.

Compensating work of incredibe intrinsic value with zero can be proper and ethic, depending on the circumstances of its distribution and the economic chain. The only moral compass that makes logical sense is asking yourself if you're doing what you can to financially incentive the authors of what you sincerely enjoy.

If you can't compensate them for circumstances out of your control I can't see the logic or ethics in denying yourself the content: the very thought of a victimless crime makes no sense.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman