Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3: Sony 'Leaps And Bounds Ahead' Of Microsoft

leatherhat said:
Mr Khan said:
leatherhat said:
IamAwsome said:
Ail said:

Nintendo franchise sell better but they do not cover as many gaming genres.

Aside from the titles with Wii in their names Nintendo has failed to develop new IP this gen too, they made nice improvement on old recipes but have failed to come up with new ones...( and the issue with the Wii games is aside from the Nintendo name on the box they are not really IP you can copyright which has led to a drove of copies ( heck even Move Sport Champions and Kinect adventures are just copies).)

Sony lost many third party exclusives but did a very nice job developing successfull new IPs covering a wide range of genres ( Uncharted, LBP, Heavy Rain, ResistanceFoM to name a few).

Microsoft has a few IPs that are very successfull, the issue is that they cater mostly to the same crowd.( and CoD success has made it so that the fact that Sony not having a big FPS isn't that much an issue).

While I do agree that Nintendo needs to make some new IPs, I don't agree that Sony's IPs cover more gaming genres. The only genre that Sony has that Nintendo doesn't have is FPS, and Sports sims. Nintendo has several genres that Sony doesn't have like fighting games, RTS, and RPGs. I think that overall, Nintendo's games cover more genres then Sony's games.

I cant think of any nintendo rts games, and sony has a bunch or rpgs. And smash brothers is hardly a fair candidate for fighting game since its just the same nintendo characters as always and not a new IP.

Pikmin. Also Battallion Wars to a certain extent

Yeah I guess that fits. I was thinking more along the line of sc or C&C.

Nintendo games are often genre-benders

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
osamanobama said:

media molecule IS owned by Sony

Okay, I'll double-check and correct. Last time I checked I didn't see that.

Yup, 

On 2 March 2010, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced that it had acquired Media Molecule

- Wikipedia

Corrected the table. Can we not quote the post, I'll be updating it as people note mistakes (there shouldn't be many). Quote me but just say "padib's IP table" instead of the post.

blkfish92 said:

If nintendo unveils a new smash bros. to come at launch of their new console, then yes, they win in my book.

i'll side with that as 10 points as aposed to a win but considering i wouldn't give 10 points to anyother games so a new SSB game announcement would give them one hell of a lead in my E3 reveiw and could land them the win.

who didn't know Sony kills in the IP departement? as for the win i can't say as i fill the big3 will bring it and make it harder for even me to judge as last yr i gave the win to Sony by a hair. over Nintendo.

Onyxmeth said:
Xen said:

No shit. In my eyes, they are leaps and bounds ahead of Nintendo as well.

Just curious but why? Nintendo in my eyes has the IP department on lock. I'd say they have an entire 2-3 tiers of IPs with more selling potential than anything Sony is able to produce. Anything we can really judge IP success by is something Nintendo crushes Sony at overall. 

Comparing the sales of Nintebndo first parts game and sony is kinda unfair. If you buy a nintendo system you buy it for the nintendo games since there 3rd party support is so bad (compared to ps360 anyway). Where as with the 360 and ps3 aswell as the first party games there is a massive number of 3rd party games.

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

More does not equal better/quality.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Around the Network
Chibi.V.29 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Xen said:

Just curious but why? Nintendo in my eyes has the IP department on lock. I'd say they have an entire 2-3 tiers of IPs with more selling potential than anything Sony is able to produce. Anything we can really judge IP success by is something Nintendo crushes Sony at overall. 

Comparing the sales of Nintebndo first parts game and sony is kinda unfair. If you buy a nintendo system you buy it for the nintendo games since there 3rd party support is so bad (compared to ps360 anyway). Where as with the 360 and ps3 aswell as the first party games there is a massive number of 3rd party games.

I'm going to buy a Wii soon and most of the games are 3rd party I believe.

padib said:

Genre Game Series Developer(s)

Studio owned

by Sony

Gen Age

(exclusive)

Sony Owned IP
Action God of War SCE Studios Santa Monica Yes 1 Yes
Action Heavenly Sword Ninja Theory No 0 No Yes
Adventure Uncharted Naughty Dog Yes 0  Yes
Adventure inFamous Sucker Punch Productions No 0  Yes*
Racing Gran Turismo Polyphony Digital Yes 2 Yes
Racing Modnation Racers United Front Games No 0  Yes*
Racing Motorstorm Evolution Studios Yes 0 Yes
Platformers Ratchet and Clank

Insomniac Games

High Impact Games

Sanzaru Games

No

No

No

2  Yes*
Platformers Little Big Planet Media Molecule Yes 0 Yes
Shooters Resistance Insomniac Games No 0  Yes*
Shooters Killzone Guerilla Games Yes 1 Yes
Shooters MAG Zipper Interactive Yes 0 Yes
Sports MLB: The Show SCE San Diego Yes 1 Yes
RPG Demon's Souls From Software No 0  Yes*

Slight correction, Heavenly Sword is a Sony owned IP.

Chibi.V.29 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Xen said:

What is with all these people making the "if you have less choice, you'll buy what's there, and that's why it sells more," argument? Sales absolutely do not work like that

Mr Khan said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Xen said:

What is with all these people making the "if you have less choice, you'll buy what's there, and that's why it sells more," argument? Sales absolutely do not work like that

I think they do, I mean the game has to be good aswell, but having less of a choice will boost the sales of what's left.

brendude13 said:
Mr Khan said:

I think they do, I mean the game has to be good aswell, but having less of a choice will boost the sales of what's left.

It really only has effect in the launch period, or at least it shouldn't have too much of an effect after that. You must realize that not all customers feel compelled to buy games all the time. They buy what they want, and don't buy what they don't want. It's not like "i bought the N64 with Mario 64, and now i have to buy Pilotwings because there's nothing else," you just don't buy anything else. Only a small segment of gamers will do that