By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why the fuss over the wiiiiiiii ?

Can we stop talking about Leo-jtypes already. One little comment and u guys go on and on.

Anyways, u all will c when the Wii comes to dominate this gen. Many have already doubted it (esp before launch) but look what happened now. Huh? Huh? Huh? themain point is that the fuss over the wii is not really a fuss. It is really the truth - the Wii is going to sell better than the other consoles whether u like it or not so really, there is no fuss at all

Around the Network

bottom line to MANY people, the wii makes games FUN again

many of us grew up on nintendo/snes/genesis, when games were about GAMEPLAY and fun, not tech demos or rehashing the same game 124323 times

notice the difference in how each mario plays: mario bros, super mario bros, mario 2, mario 3, etc ... they didn't just create more levels of the same stuff each year like ea and others do with their games...no, they continually changed it up and kept it fun...

most adults that are older and thus didn't grow up on video games have no interest in learning 5-10 buttons to play a game...

most adults don't really know the difference in standard and hdtv...in fact, a good healthy % of hdtv OWNERS don't even get an hd picture on their screen...they either use non-hd cables or they don't get hd sources from cable/satellite, but they don't know any difference...they just know the tv hangs on the wall and has nice colors

there is a niche of people who like playing 21343 fps shooters with increasingly realistic graphics on consoles; then there are those who won't play fps on consoles as keyboard/mouse>>>>>>>>dual analog sticks...some of those people will play fps on wii since wiimote is much closer to keyboard/mouse controls

there is a niche of people who like playing super-realistic driving sims, sports sims, etc etc...then plenty more people who would rather play a more arcade version of the above

platformers appeal to many many more people than fps/sims/rpgs/etc...hopefully now that wii is bringing in millions and millions of casuals, we will see more platformers emerge

mario/metroid/megaman/castlevania/rayman1/sonic on sega/contra/etc/etc...that is what gaming is about to many people

u solve puzzles, and move ur character around jumping on enemies or hitting them with a whip or arm cannon

also, 'gamers' these days are used to the sloppy play you can get away with these days...most games these days, you can hit a bunch of buttons and generally not be very good, but u'll live for awhile anyway

the old games, u had 3 lives (contra without cheat code) and 1 hit or one wrong jump and you were dead and many times had to start over the level

old games took finesse and logic and patience whereas many new 'hardcore games' are about running around like rambo trying to be a badass with as many polygons as they can fit on the screen without overheating the cpu

that's why so many old school gamers are buying the wii...they are people like me: 26, owned nes/gameboy/snes/genesis/n64/ps1/ps2/gamecube/gameboy advanced and had no desire to purchase a console this generation, or ever again really with the way trend the industry was on...but the wii brings back the old ways of games...where fun was at the forefront, not graphics...so the wii is selling to many people who would never consider a ps3/360, even tho i am a graphics whore with tv as i have 2 hddvrs and 3 hdtvs in my house...

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

This thread could use a lock. Lots of insults and flame wars in here and it doesn't need to get anymore out of control than it already has. The topic is bait and there is already a thread about this on the forums with much fewer insults and bait. So, rather than ban 1/4 of you, I'm going to lock it, and say watch it in the future.

My mom played Moario and Sonic last night, she hated games when I was young, and yet was having an awesome time playing, she loved it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

People suddenly remembered how to have fun with video games again thanks to the the Wii.

Instead of the hardcore games all about killing, shooting, blood and gore; the seriousness of killing someone online and the verbal abuse and bad language you get from Xbox live when you kill them or are not a very good member of their team on Halo type games.

People are laughing, smiling and joking as their 70 year old granny scores a strike at Wii bowling and their 4 year old sister knocks them to the canvas in Wii boxing.

People are playing with their families again instead of sitting, hunched alone playing online in their bedroom.

You only have to listen to Xbox live conversations for 30 minutes to hear in guys voices how much fun has been stripped away from video games and how the seriousness, frustration and anger has taken over instead.

The Wii might not be cool in everyones eyes, have the most realistic gamesplay or hardcore games (aka...killing and gore) but given the choice between being an angry lone gamer who gets more frustrated and angry each time someone better than me takes me down with a headshot OR someone interacting, laughing and having fun with my friends and family, I know which I'll choose.