By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 may never catchup to the 360

sieanr said:
Why do people persist with the whole "MGS4 is a killer app" banter? The series has been seeing diminishing sales and its not something that appeals to the mainstream. The only place you see MGS being touted as such is gaming forums, especially ones filled with Japanophiles.

diminishing based off one game? You realize it is often the case that the sequel doesn't do as well as the one before it for that generation. (of course there are exceptions)

MGS2 sold 7 Million units, whereas MGS3 sold 4 mill and Substinence sold an additional 1 Mil. A key difference is that MGS2 was hyped to no end, MGS3....not so much. (i didn't even know it was released when it first came out)

MGS4 reminds me more of MGS2, it is the first on the console and people are very curious as to how it will play out. I also see it having a huge marketing campaign/push by Sony.

Lastly, MGS fans are definitley out there, MGS:PO/PO+ has sold well over a million on a handheld that is known for craptacular software sales.

Around the Network
Passenger57 said:
With MGS4 on the ps3 only, I feel Konami might be beating a dead horse with sales coming nowhere close to GTA4 Halo 3 or GOW, but if they put it on the 360 I think the demographic might react better. I myself don't care much for the art direction at all, to me its just weird. But the graphics are pretty good I must admit. I've never really seen any games come out of Japan that have good character development like Master Chief besides Nintendo's creations. Solid Snake to me is just not that cool, and the comedy in the game just sucks, but thats just my opinion.

I take that back, Ninja Gaiden and most Capcom games to me are pretty cool also. 

What point are you trying to make from this thread?

Oh I know, flamebait

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial
Sorair said:
What point are you trying to make from this thread?

Oh I know, flamebait

No the exact opposite, but flame on if you'd like. 

Passenger57 said:
I've never really seen any games come out of Japan that have good character development like Master Chief besides Nintendo's creations.

I think there is some oversight here. 

Also, having beaten all 3 Halo's, I would hardly call character development and story its strong points.

Around the Network

Every time I see a thread like this, I just look at this chart:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

PS3 is selling on the same curve as the 360. It's deja vu with a one year time delay. PS3 and 360 are basically selling to the same market, the 360 just has a tight grip on english speakers while PS3 has dominance in the rest of the world.

Sony has pulled out all the stops just to keep pace and follow in the footsteps of 360. It still hasn't broken loose. It may yet surge ahead, but there's going to have to be some kind of drastic change in conditions to make that happen, and I don't think a few AAA titles will change the conditions enough.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@Passenger57

You completely make no sense. You already know the current state of the PS3. You know it has no chance to catch up to the Wii or the Xbox 360 right away. And you start a thread to basically make yourself feel good because you want the PS3 to fail. Well congratulations, you made a successful troll thread that doesn't deserve to be open.

Come on the title of the thread speaks for itself "PS3 make never catch up to the 360". You clearly wanted to start a war. Well this thread fails.....

@ Sorair

with all due respect your last comment is of the exact type of ranting I was trying to avoid. Honestly I could give a ratz booty if my post offends you or anybody else. This is my observation of console momentum. If you really want this thread to fail, don't respond, and if you disagree with my post, and you want to reply please do intelligently.

@Passenger57

First, it would of helped if you would of looked in Gaming Discussion and found out there were 4 topics on this subject you just posted. It would of also helped for you to post what you just said in this pointless thread into one of those threads and everything would of been fine, instead of crying into making another thread about the PS3 will may not catch up to the 360.

lol with all respect I think we have too many people making threads with an analysis of the situation why the (PS3/360/Wii) (will/won't) (outsell/catch up with /will not catch up/win against) the (PS3/360/Wii).

Mostly with vague comparisons with past generations and questionable statistics. I think console sales are a chaotic system and we will not be able to make any predictions out of past performances. We will see in one /two years how it played out.

Interessting thought experiment nontheless.