By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 may never catchup to the 360

Passenger57 said:
ChronotriggerJM said:

@Pasenger

The problem though is that I can't get the same experience for cheaper. I have yet to see a 360 title that impresses me more than Uncharted, Ratchet, OR heavenly sword :/

With MS's latest killer exclusive Mass Effect, I played it, and was not technically impressed. I was not wow'ed in the least. Then I think about games like GT5 on the horizon running 1080p, 60 FPS, and supporting 16 cars online? The sad thing is, I would say Assassins creed is probably the best looking game I've seen on the 360, and thats multi-plat :( Keep in mind I have played Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock AND Mass Effect.

Broken promises are one thing, notoriously horrible hardware is another :( Getting your box fixed in European country's has been a major hastle from what I've heard and isn't so easily remedied. Microsoft will be fighting the uphilll battle in Europe/Japan, and to be honest I don't think thats a fight they're prepared for. They will do great in America though :P

All valid points, although I would like to think that Microsoft has taken care of hardware problems. All those games you mentioned have impressed me greatly, but I guess thats why there's competition between the 2 platforms. 2008 will be an interesting year, as of right now both the 360 and PS3 are getting there tookuses handed to them by the Wii though.

Yeah I want to believe their hardware is "taken care of" also, but you never know which box on the shelf is old/possibly defective :( so it's not much of a problem in America seeing as how they get new stock often, but of the OG units up in Europe.... still kinda shakey. 

And yeah their both getting spanked by the Wii XD, but that was Ninty's goal the whole time, to at least match the sales of the 360 and PS3 combined :P, can't argue with a $250 game machine with no pricedrops yet ;)

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

Hardware sales for November and December. PS3 has not cut the 360 lead.

360                Ps3
594520        619388
523628        524907
437650        439404
359728        381207
375759        356894
244829        242097
204012        222455
200287        150076
======       ======
2,940,413    2,936,428

Software sales for November and December. 360 seems healthy to me.

360                  ps3
3756473       2096683
2998411       1852603
2894880       1561150
2990378       1512772
3756279       1859060
2983844       1480943
2389671       1234390
1955359       659595
======        ======
23,725,295  12,257,196

I think the 360 will receive another $50 price cut right before GTA4. That will keep the 360 in the sales lead.

Packet said:
Microsoft always has been and always will be irrelevant to Sony and the Playstation.

There are only three factors that will determine when the 125 million PS2 owners migrate to the PS3:

1) Manufacturing cost reductions
2) HDTV adoption rate
3) Gigantic PS2 library

Both the Playstation and PS2 were released at a time when the next gen storage formats were already on the market and were already relatively cheap to produce. The PS3 effectively had a 80-100 dollar extra cost due to the brand new BluRay drives. That cost rapidly dropped as significant volumes of PS3s began to be shipped leading to Sony being able to have two price drops in the first year. With the painful first year behind them the PS3 manufacturing costs are now going to go through the normal progression that both the PS2 ans Playstation had over the next 8-10 years.

The other factor that is different than the last two generations for the PS3 is the switch to a new TV standard with 1080p HDTVs. With the Playstation and PS2 you could get the full experience right away with your existing TVs. With the PS3 you really need to pick up a new 1080p set to get the full PS3 experience. HDTVs are rapidly dropping in price and will hit 500 dollars soon.

And the last factor is the absolutely gigantic PS2 library of games. The single largest and most diverse library of games ever created for a console. Almost every PS2 owner still has an enormous backlog of titles sitting on their shelves or still waiting to be picked up for as 20 dollar Greatest Hits.

So what does that mean for the current 125 million PS2 owners?

For people with the money they immediately made the jump to the PS3 and 1080p TVs.

For most of the rest of the PS2 owners out there they are waiting for 1080p sets to drop to their personal price level before upgrading to the PS3. They are content to continue working through their existing backlog of PS2 games until that time.

Some existing PS2 owners are certainly making a brief detour into Wii land since they can get the full experience with their existing 480i TVs. The waggle novelty wears off fairly quickly for most people and they will be ready to move on to a real next gen gaming system with the PS3.

The same people who bought the first Xbox are buying the 360. The 360 offers the 125 million existing PS2 owners anything of value. If they didn't buy an Xbox last gen for Halo, PGR,Forza,Fable,etc they sure as hell aren't going to be buying the most defect ridden and noisy console ever to play new versions of those games.

Every single major franchise that 125 million gamers went out and bought PS2s for is appearing on the PS3 on the most powerful system with rocksolid reliability and virtually silent operation.

Your logic is completely FLAWED. Being a previous/current ps1, ps2, and psp owner i have alot of brand loyalty to sony, i never owned a gamecube or a xbox last gen. Guess what my two consoles are now, wii and 360. People dont just migrate to the next one, specially people my age. We choose a console that everyone has and what games we want, and currently thats the 360.

If everyone "migrated" to the next console every time nintendo would  have never lost to sony for the last two generations

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
ChronotriggerJM said:

@Pasenger

The problem though is that I can't get the same experience for cheaper. I have yet to see a 360 title that impresses me more than Uncharted, Ratchet, OR heavenly sword :/ 

With MS's latest killer exclusive Mass Effect, I played it, and was not technically impressed. I was not wow'ed in the least. Then I think about games like GT5 on the horizon running 1080p, 60 FPS, and supporting 16 cars online? The sad thing is, I would say Assassins creed is probably the best looking game I've seen on the 360, and thats multi-plat :( Keep in mind I have played Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock AND Mass Effect.

Broken promises are one thing, notoriously horrible hardware is another :( Getting your box fixed in European country's has been a major hastle from what I've heard and isn't so easily remedied. Microsoft will be fighting the uphilll battle in Europe/Japan, and to be honest I don't think thats a fight they're prepared for. They will do great in America though :P

Looks are not everything, you would think you would know that since uncharted, HS, and ratchet all look fantastic yet are below ME and other lesser looking games.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Packet said:
100+ million Playstation owners and 125 million PS2 owners bought their systems for:

Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo
Team ICO
Ratchet and Clank
Singtar
Jak and Daxster
Sly Cooper
Killzone
SOCOM
and on and on

which system has those games this gen?

Six years ago the Xbox launched. Six years and over 100 million console gamers had a choice between one system that had:

Halo
PGR
Forza
Fable
etc.

and went with the PS2 and its library of exclusive games. So those 100 million people who had the opportunity to buy Xboxes for its library of exclusive games didn't last gen but now out of the blue are going to completely change their gaming tastes?

No, when i bought my ps1 and ps2 i bought them well because thats what everyone chose, was the cheapest (compared to xbox), the earliest out (other then dreamcast), and was a much more casual system. People overestimate these franchises, FF 12 sold a measly 5 million on a 100 million console, killzone ehhhhh.

The ps2 was NOT a console where every owner was a hardcore gamer, thats a fact. Just like the wii now, usually the winning system will contain alot of casuals. Heck i know alot of people (casual people) who own wiis but dont even know the new mario is out, nor do they care.

Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:

The ps2 was NOT a console where every owner was a hardcore gamer, thats a fact. Just like the wii now, usually the winning system will contain alot of casuals. Heck i know alot of people (casual people) who own wiis but dont even know the new mario is out, nor do they care.

I witnessed that over the past 2 days. Found out 4 people I know picked up Wii's as Christmas presents for thier kids.  Not one of them bought SMG.   2 of them bought just WiiPlay to have 2nd controllers, 1 added Need for Speed, and the other added Lego Star Wars.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

some facts:

not one metal gear solid has sold a million or more in Japan
the first and third mgs had their highest sales in Others

pro evolution 5 and 6 have sold more copies in Japan than any metal gear solid has
pro evolution 5 and 6 have sold more copies in Others than any metal gear solid has

''Hadouken!''

i don't think that any game would be a better system seller for sony in the European region than an exclusive pro evolution game for the ps3
yes, even more than metal gear solid 4 would be; that is if you think that mgs4 is or might be a system seller

''Hadouken!''

stupid ppl, stupid argument......go to school boys, or get laid

wait a second
you've just become a member of vgchartz to tell us in your second post that we are stupid people?
what else would you expect on this site than discussions about these sorts of things

on the other hand, of course there are fanboys that make some of these discussions not worth your time
but i still think calling the people on the site you've just joined stupid, is a little too enthuasiastic

''Hadouken!''