By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: No Plans For PS3-type Investment For Future Consoles

Sony's massive initial expenditures for the PlayStation 3 lead to years of losses. This is something that apparently won't be repeated for future platforms.

During an investors briefing today (via Nikkei), Chief Financial Officer Masaru Kato was asked if Sony expects its games division to continue to maintain its recent profitability. Different from the major losses of Sony Group as a whole, the company's games business turned profitable over the fiscal year.

Kato noted that the main factor in the losses for the past few years has been the big difference in sales price and cost for the PS3 system. Sony even spent billions to create its own semi conductor facilities.

This is something that won't happen in the future. The semiconductor business is changing, said Kato. "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."

Sony's Network Products & Services division, which overseas the PlayStation business, saw a 0.4% increase in sales to 1,579,300 million yen. Last year's operating loss of 833,000 million yen was turned into an operating profit of 356,000 million yen.

PS3 hardware cost reductions and increased software sales were major factors in the turnaround.

Sony shipped 14.3 million PS3 systems, 8 million PSP systems and 2.64 million PS2 systems over the year. Software shipments were 147,900,000 for PS3, 46,600,000 for PSP and 16,400,000 for PS2.

For the current year, Sony forecasts 15 million PS3 systems, 6 million PSP systems and 4 million PS2 systems.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/27/sony_earnings/

Good :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

Very sensible.

Not surprised though as far as profits go PS3 isn't successful (unless we count Blu ray profits into PS3's earnings equation)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

That sort of means they'll stick to Blu-Ray instead of creating a new optical media and use a more "common" processor instead of creating something new like the CELL so the R&D costs won't be so high and the console is also cheaper to produce and easier to develop for, right?

Sounds OK... I hope the PS4 is sold at 499 Dollars and gives Sony some profits on each console sold instead of selling them at 599 and losing 200, LOL.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

lol, sounds like a good idea.  as much as i love how "futureproof" the ps3 is that does me know good if sony goes bankrupt and thus stops making games.  i'm sure there is a balance in there somewhere.

no semiconductor facilities, no buy!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

lol, sounds like a good idea.  as much as i love how "futureproof" the ps3 is that does me know good if sony goes bankrupt and thus stops making games.  i'm sure there is a balance in there somewhere.

The PS3 isn't much more futureproof than the 360 though. The only futureproofing the PS3 has that the 360 doesn't is the blu-ray drive, which has caused its fair share of headaches too, despite its advantages.

In other words, Sony is definitely doing the sensible thing here.

But they need to invest in buying moar trophies for moar games!!!11

Initiating social expirement #928719281

I think that means the system won't be as big of a jump from ps2 to ps3.

smooth

Well they already have the cell-technology, they can re-use it and make it better and BAM! still best thing out there