By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ship v Sold Wii/PS3/360 - Dec 2013 and post adjustments.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
thismeintiel said:
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:
Kowen is still fighting the good fight I see.

If you look at your own chart, 1.13M in the supply channel isn't unusual at this time of the year for MS. Not to mention there was also the release of Star Wars Kinect, which I'm sure retailers probabaly thought wsas going to be pretty big, what with the custom console bundle and all. I highly doubt VGC is that far off.

I really cant be arsed dealing with this point yet again, Im not the only one to have dealt with it.

Dont bother replying, not remotely interested.

I think I will respond, regardless of your wishes.  I'm kind of a dick that way, lol.

The fact remains that history is not in your favor.  It seems MS prefers to keep ~1M-1.4M in the channels at any given time, so 1.13M is definitely not out of the question and is actually on the lower end of that spectrum.  Then you have the fact that Best Buy and Gamestop have started offering the $99 360 deal, as well.  I'm sure they wanted to make sure they had enough 360s, just in case the deal is a huge hit.  Now, if there were no special deals going on the previous quarter and the NeXbox had already launched, I would get your point.  But since the 360 is still MS's main focus in terms of HW, they are going to make sure they have just as much in the channels as always.

damn you two have been going on about this since december! move on!

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!  RAAAAWR!!! 

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
neerdowell said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but for what it's worth, personally I think that Microsoft is shipping right where they probably want to be. If anything, I think retailers have probably known about the new models for the PS3 and likely don't want to be stuck clearing them out, so they have intentionally ordered less.

The 360 might be slightly undertracked but not as much as indicated by shipping discrepancies.

Except there is no way retailers would know 6 - 12 months in advance so that doesn't really work for the figures here does it? and secondly the release of the new version is apparently delayed due to too high stock of existing PS3's in the channel.

and for your last sentence.... how can you possibly know that and what is that statement based on?

If the internet is aware of new models months before they launch I am sure retailers are aware a significant time before. Particularly since any excess stock will have to be sold at a loss on either the retailer's or Sony's side i am sure Sony lets them know well in advance so that they can clear stock gradually rather than all at once. As for the article you posted, that concerns the auto industry mostly and likely companies which are in a better position to rebound than Sony (with its financials and restructuring).

I was basing MS's numbers on the averages for how much MS usually has in the channels as shown in the OP. Now, perhaps those numbers are not entirely accurate; however, they are all the information I have to go on. I could speculate on how much MS usually has in the channels but that would be baseless. Basing a speculative argument on speculative numbers seems like a recipe for disaster.

Another thing to note is that MS sees most of its sales in strong surges around the holidarys, whereas Sony sees steady sales throughout the year. It would be possible for retailers to stock units at the last minute; however, this would be dependant upon MS having those units available which would depend on them ramping up production around the holidays which would increase their operating costs. It seems more reasonable that retailers maintain higher levels of stock so as to avoid lost sales during the holidays. This is also collaborated by the Wii's high stock levels, which also sees larger holiday sales.

How do you breathe again?

So Ps3 Over, 360 under.

Wii and 3ds on spot ?

Well, I could go on and on about how the PS3 has a higher number in stock than usual for this time of year, as opposed to the 360s perfectly normal supply numbers, hence it could actually be undertracked by ~150K-200K. Then there's the fact that the PS3 hasn't had any major deals of late. However, I think that would be foolish, so I'll just say what I really think: VGC is probably spot on for all 3 consoles.

kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:
Well, I could go on and on about how the PS3 has a higher number in stock than usual for this time of year, as opposed to the 360s perfectly normal supply numbers, hence it could actually be undertracked by ~150K-200K. Then there's the fact that the PS3 hasn't had any major deals of late. However, I think that would be foolish, so I'll just say what I really think: VGC is probably spot on for all 3 consoles.

You could... but you'd be wrong.  That is low supply, just not as low as before (assuming historic VGC numbers are correct - notice zero supply according to numbers here for one quarter - yeah right)    

It's almost as if supply is low because Sony are about to announce and release a new super slim model of the PS3 phasing out the old model.................

Around the Network
cookingyourmama said:
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

You could... but you'd be wrong.  That is low supply, just not as low as before (assuming historic VGC numbers are correct - notice zero supply according to numbers here for one quarter - yeah right)    

It's almost as if supply is low because Sony are about to announce and release a new super slim model of the PS3 phasing out the old model.................

That is the first thing that came to my mind, but with a couple of rumors stating that sony will not be showing any new ps3, I just don't have any idea what sony is planning.  I'm hoping for the new ps3 at gamescom and I think it would be the best thing for sony to do.

I do not see them announcing the super slim this year, based on the fact that they think they will ship less PS3s this year then last year. All support this year will hopefully be based on the fledgeling handheld that is the vita.

Argh_College said:
So Ps3 Over, 360 under.

Wii and 3ds on spot ?

looks that way

ZaneWane said:
Argh_College said:
So Ps3 Over, 360 under.

Wii and 3ds on spot ?

looks that way

Nope, just your wishful thinking again.

cookingyourmama said:
ZaneWane said:
Argh_College said:
So Ps3 Over, 360 under.

Wii and 3ds on spot ?

looks that way

Nope, just your wishful thinking again.

didnt you know? the 360 has been under for months now! these guys are gonna be waiting for adjustments forever.