By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is working on PlayStation 4

Sony has confirmed that work on a "future platform" to follow the PS3 "is already under way".

Sony's executive vice president and chief financial officer Masaru Kato made the revelation on a conference call to investors today. He was asked to explain increased research and development (R&D) costs.

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," he said, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that - but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

Kato's comments are in direct contrast those of Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai's. Hirai said, three months ago in March, that "a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now".

Hirai stressed that Sony wasn't "even at the half-way point" in PS3's lauded 10-year plan.

This console cycle may be destined to last longer than previous generations, but there are already rumours of top-tier publishing partners receiving prototype dev kits of Microsoft's new Xbox.

Meanwhile Nintendo has plans to formerly unveil Wii 2 - codenamed Project Cafe - at E3 next month.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

Ok, so they just started researching/developing it?

I hope they show it at E3 2012 and release it in 2013 :P I hope it can run games with the graphics shown in the UE3 tech demo :D. The next Final Fantasy will have graphics close to Final Fantasy Versus XIII's CGI cutscenes if they do that :D So beautiful T_T :P

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Interesting. I doubt it will be out till 2015 at the earliest, though.

PS3 came out in 2006 so that would be almost 10 years after.

Since PS3 release.

I they started started developing it, it'll take at least 2 years before some public info is avalible. So do you think a 2014 or 2015 release??? I guess they took the 10yr old plan too literaly.

Around the Network

Nice to know there will be a PS4, But I hope they don't rush it. I'm still enjoying my PS3.

ps4 will be out at least by end of 2013 for sure

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I'm really hoping for backwards compatibility for the PS4. That would be nice.... And it'd be nice if they wouldn't stop production on backwards compatibility systems like they did for Piss3.

Of course it is, development on a new platform begins with the launch of the current one.

So very early PS4 stuff must've been in the works since 2006

Not to mention apparently Ken Kutaragi left an outline of his vision for PS4,5,6

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

1. Every company in some fashion starts the work of the next console once the current one is in the market.

2. R&D is being ramped up as they have decided that they need to finalize it asap as they know Nintendo has a new system in 2012 and they are confident MS won't be far behind.

3. This does not actually conflict Kaz's remarks as he was referring to a short time frame vs long time frame. "a near-future PS4..." key words being "near-future". This does not mean that there isn't one being planned and finalzied for 2012 or 2013.

4. The "10 year plan" has nothing to do with a PS4 launching after 6 or 8 years. It just means the PS3 will be offered for at least 10 years. This is no different than any other company and more specifically PS1 and PS2 and PS3 lives and launches.

All this report does is state what anyone should already know as well as further prove my predictions that by 2013 all three will have new consoles out. Actually I said at least one by 2012 (Nintendo's fills this) but maybe two by then (I still think MS may show something this E3. MS and Sony will definitely show something by E32012.