By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - SD vs HD Comparision (with pics)

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=707

Click the link,

a good picture based comparison of the quality difference between SD and HD (DVD vs HD-DVD / BR).

To me it looks brilliantly different, like a whole new world. Hair and skin are the main details I notice on first glance.

But honestly, will it REALLY make THAT large of a difference to the average consumer?

Around the Network

I CAN see a difference, however it isn't that much significant that i NEED to have it... SD is fine for me!

And btw, when in-motion there's not that much of a difference...

Conclusion: Im not willing to spend like 600$ for a blu-ray drive just for that small difference (luckily i already own a HDMI HD-tv, or else you'd have to buy that TOO)

THE NETHERLANDS

You will notice it alot more the bigger your screen is. In those tiny pics maybe it doesnt make that big of a difference (though there is a difference). But imo SDTV looks like crap on big screens.

With gaming, the important part for me is user interface and being able to read text. I bought knights of the old republic 2 for my 360 (xbox version) a few weeks ago since I hadnt played it, but I couldnt play more than a few minutes since I got so fed up with only seeing a small part of the screen and having to navigate all the low resolution menus, so I went and bought it for my pc instead to play it at higher resolutions.

I agree. It's not worth getting like a 20" HDTV. I'd rather have a 40" or something. Then I'd be able to see the difference quite clearly.

Well, everyone looks uglier on the HDTV, for one.

Poor comparison. I think you actually have to see them in real time to make a more productive comparison. 

Around the Network

There is quite a difference. But it hardly seems worth the jump to me. Of course, my opinion doesn't mean much, as I still regularily enjoy VHS movies on my 15 year old floor model tv.

On a different note, what the hell is wrong with the guy on the right?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

yeah there's a noticeable difference.  i'm glad i saw these pics, never actually seen them side by side.  when big screen TVs came out i heard people say that they "make beautiful people look average and average looking people downright ugly".

kind of same here with HD... 

but all else equal, i'd go HD.  of course, all else is not equal; price, big screen TV, etc.

no matter what, no technology in the world can save a movie if it sucks.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I want a HDTV too, but I probably won't get one until they are around $400-$500 for a decent one.

That last comparison is weird...seems like it changes the feel of the image altogether...like less contrast and redness or something...unless the HD pic is more like the original.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

SD looks out of focus... He's useing a GREAT program to get those images.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!