By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - SD vs HD Comparision (with pics)

ranzchic said:
I want a HDTV too, but I probably won't get one until they are around $400-$500 for a decent one.

Just FYI if you have a Costco or sam's club anywhere near you you can find a Brand called Vizio they continually get very high marks from consumer reviews. the 32" 1080i is about $599 so they sre getting very close to the price point you are looking for

Around the Network

SD is fine, ill just change the settings on my tv until it looks clear enough for me.

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

This is a good comparison of the 2. The only thing is HD only matters for TVs like 40inches and bigger. I personaly have a 70 inch Sony SXRD XRB2. I get a new TV every year, I know not a lot of people can afford that, but thats life. The wierd thing is I always give my old TVs away, to family of someone at work, or a friend, and a lot of times people will not take them. My family and friends never say no, but people at work will turn them down all the time. 2 years ago I had a 42 inch panasonic Plasma that I had to set out in the drive way with a free sign on it. You know why? people at work said it was to bid and they didn't want it. So anyway I guess my point is HD dose not matter to everyone, because not everyone wants a TV that needs HD. Even if all TVs were free people would still get 25s cause they just don't want a bigger tv. Its the dumbest thing i've ever seen but its the truth.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

There is an obvious difference as far as i can tell.. however, i must admit that i'm surprised at how small the difference is, thought it'd be a much bigger change

whoa, yeh HD is way clearer, but i really dont see the point in spending all that money to see the pimples more clearly on someones face. i'd still love hd... but maybe when its all a lil cheaper

Around the Network

weak comparo.

got to see it with your own eyes to truely see the difference.

Hus said:

weak comparo.

got to see it with your own eyes to truely see the difference.

Because you aren't seeing the comparison photos?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

it depends a lot on the size of the screen.  Watching football on a 50 inch screen is way better in HD, but i have to admit the difference is not that great on a 19 inch screen.  Regardless of the difference though i just don't really care that much.  I'll get a HDTV when it is near the price of SD and my current TV goes bad. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I should point out that HD is NOT the reason those pics look better. It's the fact that HD-DVD uses MPEG-4 HD and VC-1; either codec show pictures at a much higher quality than MPEG-2.

EDIT: Also, the fact that the pics are shows at the same resolution, does make it less clear how those codecs improve the picture.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

KBG29 : mmmh, you won't be able to get much better quality than your Sony. For that, you will have to buy the best Pioneer plasma which is 3 times the price of the Sony. But I assumed you were talking about the rear projection Sony TV (SXRD XBR2) ? That's the best quality TV for HD and SD once set correctly, after the best Pioneer plasma (but plasmas have the burn-in problem, among others, not good for games). That's what I plan to buy actually (but the 55" one, not 70"), or the new one that take 1080p@24 that are due this summer.

This TV is actually the best in Europe too, as it gets the TNT tuners and every features people need, and it upscales everything to 1080p.

XBR2 is the best SD upscaling/deinterlacing chip in TV nowadays.

BTW, the difference I see is ridiculously small here. This is to be expected, on a 22" monitor, I just won't be able to see any significant difference. To do this correctly, he should have taken 1/4th the image each time, and then, we could see the difference.

But if we talk a TV set, depending on the set and how it's set up, the difference won't be the same.