By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony warns of massive $3.1 billion FY2011 loss (PSN outtage $171 million)

Mordred11 said:

A negative Sony thread?Made by Legend11?Well I'll be damned...

OT : This was expected,really,considering what happened in Japan.

A complaint about a negative Sony thread? By a Sony fan? Well I'll be damned...

It works both ways.

OT: I think that 171 million for the PSN debacle is much less worrying than most people thought it would be.

Around the Network

Well we all expected it to be a bit shit, I just hope that they can start to get profitable soon, because they surely can't keep losing money for much longer?

Guys, it is not a doom and gloom story. Deferred tax assets. 

Sony has essentially prepaid some of their taxes for the next 3-5 years. Given the PSN and earthquake debacles, its probably the best time for them to do so, that and regulatory requirements require them to.

The underlying result is essentially a 100 billion yen operating profit (around US$1billion) although they didn't quite hit expected revenue and profit levels. As a result market will be slightly down.

Chrizum said:
Mordred11 said:

It works both ways.

OT: I think that 171 million for the PSN debacle is much less worrying than most people thought it would be.

A complaint about a complaint made by a Sony fan,by a Nintendo/Microsoft fan?Well I'll be damned...

Mordred11 said:
Chrizum said:
Mordred11 said:

It works both ways.

A complaint about a complaint made by a Sony fan,by a Nintendo/Microsoft fan?Well I'll be damned...

A complaint about a complaint about a complaint... I'm starting to lose track. I can't wait for Shadows of the Damned!

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
Chrizum said:
Mordred11 said:

It works both ways.

Actually I don't think those are all that common.

Mordred11 said:
Chrizum said:
Mordred11 said:

It works both ways.

LOL, see, you're starting to learn. I also wouldn't describe myself as a Nintendo/Microsoft fan, I'm not really loyal to any company and I also don't dislike any company really. I hope all goes well for Sony and I'm convinced it will.

Grooski said:

Guys, it is not a doom and gloom story. Deferred tax assets. 

Sony has essentially prepaid some of their taxes for the next 3-5 years. Given the PSN and earthquake debacles, its probably the best time for them to do so, that and regulatory requirements require them to.

The underlying result is essentially a 100 billion yen operating profit (around US$1billion) although they didn't quite hit expected revenue and profit levels. As a result market will be slightly down.

So really it isn't a loss they're jsut spending money.

sony isn't in a great way at the minute because of:

- earthquake

- online security incidents

it's important to note though that sony are in a transitional period and are slowly becoming more competitve across their business areas, with playstation and sony ericsson for example doing a lot better than they had been in the last few years.

if it wasn't for the two external incidents (out of sony's control to a large extent), they would be much healthier at the minute. you need to remember that the economy is still very fragile and consumers are still bargain hunting. sony is a high end electronics brand; ie it's very high up in a non-necessity market. it was obviously going to be in for a horrible few years once the recession hit.

internally though sony needs to restructure. there's a lot of reports coming out that their innovation is lacking and that the company is both top heavy and has some incompetent management. also, it still isn't united enough.

and this forum is full of intellectual melodramatics. i remember when the recession hit and the ps3 was in the deep red some genuinely believed sony was going bust, while most genuinely though a substantial downsizing would occur. 

no, sony aren't going bust. they are certainly not doing well at the minute, but most japanese/electronics companies aren't.

things will get better for the company. 

I don't think anyone is worried Sony will go bankrupt. Well, maybe some idiots here and there. If Sony gets in trouble there will always be external financers jump in to pump money into the company.