By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't understand the hype for Catherine

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Aiddon said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Aiddon said:

Because its made by Atlus who are probably the best JRPG developers right now. At the very least you'll be in for something unique

Except the teams that did Diagaea or Atelier Rorona didn't work on this game.

o....kay? I don't see what those guys have to with it since they aren't part of Atlus, but whatever

Atlus published Disgaea outside Japan and many people mistake that a team at Atlus made the game.

But looking up Atelier, I guess Atlus didn't publish the game outside Japan.  My mistake.

You're mixing your publishers up.  Both of those were published by NISA, and Disgaea is developed by NIS in Japan.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Aiddon said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Aiddon said:

Because its made by Atlus who are probably the best JRPG developers right now. At the very least you'll be in for something unique

Except the teams that did Diagaea or Atelier Rorona didn't work on this game.

o....kay? I don't see what those guys have to with it since they aren't part of Atlus, but whatever

Atlus published Disgaea outside Japan and many people mistake that a team at Atlus made the game.

But looking up Atelier, I guess Atlus didn't publish the game outside Japan.  My mistake.

You're mixing your publishers up.  Both of those were published by NISA, and Disgaea is developed by NIS in Japan.

Both Atlus and NIS published Disgaea in America/Europe.  This is why many have come to think Atlus made the game.  Or have you not heard in almost every thread like this 'I sure hope Atlus makes a new Disgaea' or something to a similar effect.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Both Atlus and NIS published Disgaea in America/Europe.  This is why many have come to think Atlus made the game.  Or have you not heard in almost every thread like this 'I sure hope Atlus makes a new Disgaea' or something to a similar effect.

Never actually heard that mistake before, but you are right that the first Disgaea was published by Atlus in NA for some amount of time.  According to the Wiki it was also published by Square Enix for Europe and Ubisoft for Australia.  

Catherine is a very niche game. Most gamers are not going to be able to "get it". Basically Catherine borrows heavily from the visual novel genre. Visual novels originated in Japan and they are basically story-heavy videogames with still manga drawings in the background accompanied with a shitload of narrative (that's why they call it a novel), music, sound effects, a bit of animation and voice acting (not always). Usually these games feature branching paths with multiple endings based on the decisions you make in the game. The most well-known (in the west) examples I can think of are the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney games and Hotel Dusk. Though these two are far from "pure" visual novels (neither is Catherine though). They contain a lot of puzzles and investigation and fit more solidly into the "point-and-click adventure" genre (Broken Sword, Sam & Max, etc.)

Now Catherine is more like an interactive anime rather than a visual novel since the narrative is told through anime cutscenes. Much like Heavy Rain is like an interactive movie. The game is heavily narrative focused, there are multiple endings you can get depending on the decisions you make in the story, etc. The story in the game looks pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how things unravel and the different endings. Most videogame plots suck. I barely paid attention to the cutscenes in Final Fantasy XIII.

As for the Puzzle-Platformer gameplay, I'm really not that crazy about it. I never was a big puzzle gamer. I'm probably eventually going to end up setting it on"Super Easy" difficulty if I have to because apparently the puzzle-platforming nightmare stages are really, really hard. Gamers were complaining that even "easy" difficulty was too hard so Persona Team patched in "Super Easy" mode. lol. The puzzle-platforming gameplay seems tacked on since the narrative and the branching paths is pretty much the true focus of the game (it's not like Persona 3 and 4 where the meat of the game was good old dungeon crawling while the narrative and social simulation/dating sim stuff was a side thing). But if Atlus made a pure interactive anime game, you'd have a lot of gamers bitching that it's not a real game (that's the main reason why visual novels are so niche outside Japan and even games with some gameplay like Heavy Rain got a lot of shit from gamers for being one big glorifed cutscene).

Sean Malstrom would probably crucify me for thinking that visual novels and interactive movies/anime are acceptable videogame genres (he and I share some philosophilies on gaming but also have very differing viewpoints on certain points). I have said before that I usually hate the cutscene whoring trend in videogames. But that's because I'm uninterested in the stories being told in the vast majority of videogames. Game designers/scenario writers tend to suck at constructing narratives. Most of them should stick to the gameplay.

d21lewis said:

It's the kind of game that you can buy for its sexiness but you can lie and say that you bought it because it's a good game.  Sorta like how everyone watched "Driving Miss Daisy" for the sexy interracial stuff but pretended to like it for the acting.

ZOMFG! Because of you I won't be able to ever make go away from my mind the image of Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy fornicating on the back seat in a blaze of flabby skin and sagging tits!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Soriku said:

It has good music.

Okay, is that some guy's head in front of Catherine or does she have the hairiest bush, ever?  'Cause if that's her bush, I'm buying two copies.

Because this game is going outside of a lot of anime/JRPG stereotypes. It doesn't feature an angsty effeminate male teen in the role and there are no lolicons and no brother/sister incest overtones. The game focuses on the state of affairs in Japan right now: "herbivore men" which are young adults who are so into themselves that they don't care too much about sex or working. The game also delves into the concept of marriage and committment; something you don't see in other games.

But the way it's advertised... Is that there's like... Tits. So there.