By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--Demon's Souls!

Demons Souls is one of the best games I've played this generation, dungeon crawling at it's finest, I've only got a couple of complaints, mostly being the deal breaker for me which was taking loot from this one body that gave me very very good equipment, all pieces of the set came out at once, when I was equiping them while picking them up... I accidently did a shield bash which propelled my character forward and off a ledge... I go back to get the rest of the equipment... to find it gone... why is this? I have no idea.  

Also not being able to communicate with other players was sorta annoying in many ways and it wasn't like you couldn't get around it anyway.  

Gameplay was amazing, graphics were spot on for the feeling they were trying to give, and the game could put a little hair on your chest while most people called it hard, people like me who played these sorts of games growing up went oh man this feels old school!

8.5/10  (I'm using my complaints to give Dark Souls room to grow, though if you has asked me prior to losing pieces of that set it would have been a 9.0 easy)

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
dsister said:

Pros- It's fun, I liked the case, it's increased in price since I bought it

Cons- Felt cheap at times, annoying color scheme, not that difficult, couldn't live up to the hype 

Did we play the same game?

He's review shouldn't count.

A 9 from me. It wasn't quite perfect :).

dsister said:
yo_john117 said:

Lol I haven't actually played it but I watched my cousin attempt many times to beat the first mission where your in ghost form (he never did beat it)

It looks sickeningly hard!

The first level is the easiest! I only died once on it, and that was when I tried to fight that guy with the long spear on top of the wall. >__> 

Bastard... 

'' that guy with the long spear on top of the wall''

Yeah you sure sound like a DS expert all right. Not.

What about the red-eye-knight!? Are you telling me that you killed him first time? And what about the dragons? Did you go visit them?

Demon's Souls invariably ends up in a discussion of about difficulty. Some gamers claim it to be the hardest game this generation, while others, just to get some attention imo, say it's easy. This game cannot be classified as easy as the most innocent of mistakes get brutally punished every time. I'm sorry guys, but if you say its easy then I think you need have your head evaluated. Sure, to finish the game isn't impossible at all, but you will spend many hours getting there, and many, many hours redoing what you failed to do on the first run through - in other words dying.

If anyone again says its easy then ask them why they said that. They can't just fly through the levels. It's impossible. Did they cheat, or use a walkthrough? Did they even get very far at all? And if you find that rare person who says its easy and he is on NG then ask him how many hours he has played.

Was a test easy if you spent 40hours studying for it? No, you were just prepared for it - that doesn't make it easy.

Anywayz...

Pros

- Inspires fear of death on a level I haven't expereienced since Resident Evil 3

- Chilling atmosphere complemented with the perfect visuals and sound

- The combat is really spot on. Everything that happens is fair.

- UTTERLY rewarding. Finishing a level on the first playthrough (I did it on 1-3 and 3-2) for instance is an experience I will never forget...Slowly crawling through the level. Eager to see what's around the next corner while being a little apprehensive as well. That feeling of uncertainty...

- Online (has been covered extensively)

Cons

- ummm

- well...

- nothing

Verdict: 9.4/10

PLEASE everyone, go and buy this game and let's get those servers full! (once PSN is up again of course  )

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
BenVTrigger said:

Though I do already have Dark Souls pre-ordered without ever playing the original Demons Souls haha

No to fret, Dark Souls isn't related to Demon's Souls at all.

You keep saying this even though you know it's not true.

i dont know about this game, this was THE game that made me buy a PS3, i've seen several interesting games before but no real console seller. Then i saw this, wow. This looks freaking sweet. Something like max of diablo and zelda. And i love me some diablo. Then i played it, the first few weeks i was mindblown. Now when i've let it sink in i find somethings that really bother me.

BAD

- Selling items, why can't i do that, i find so much garbage please let me sell it.
- Why do arrows have to be so expensive, this would have been made a lot better if you could sell items.
- World 2,3 and 5.I dont like them at all. 3 is bordering on ok, but i dont like the second level of it. 5 i just plain bad. It looks ugly it's annoying and just overall crap. 2-2 is a pain in the ass and so is Flamelurker.
- Targeting, i really hate the targeting, especially if you are a spellcaster and you cant target the person you want to fire at, i'd say the targeting is almost as bad as in Crackdown. Except in crackdown you dont have to backtrack as much when you die.
- Controls;  Some really annoying controls, they feels loose and slippery, i dont know how many times i've died becuase i've tried to drop down a ledge only to "slip" further down.
- Classes, why bother having classes if any class you pick can do the same later on. I like static classis like diablo, baldurs gate, guild wars, mass effect, etc etc.
- Several of the worlds seem incomplete when compared to World 1
- Multiplayer, i liked the leaving messages bit, but i dont see why you couldnt team up with a friend if you really wanted to
- Blue messages, why can you only offer help, but not ask for help?
- Spells i felt that there is not enough variety

on to bad bosses

- Phalanx, reminded me a lot of that boss from zelda, Arrghus from ALttP and Wart from MM 
- Flamelurker, go to hell
- Fools Idol, targeting here was a real pain in the ass, first with all the prisoners in the way, and still even after killing them targeting was annoying as hell, as sometimes it wont register and sometimes it targets the wrong copy.
- Old Monk, this fight was too easy
- All the bosses in world 5

on to the

GOOD

- World 1, wow mind blow, this world was huge and it looked nice, really medieval. Nice views good use of colors and great enemies. I felt this was also the most developed world
- World 4 while it did not feel as developed as World 1, i still liked the look of it, it was quite open great enemies and a world full of great bosses.i like the run-down look of it. Only had some irritating moments, storm beasts. ARGHH
- Combat, i liked the combat, with its strategy, blocks, rolls and you have to keep an eye on your stamina

On to good bosses 

- Tower Knight, especially for a melee character was pretty cool and he was HUGE
- Penetrator, great fight especially for melee, his sword was awesome
- Old King Allant, that fight was intense, Flamelurker intense but far from annoying as hell.
- Armor Spider, this was the second boss i defeated, was cool but i died several times before i figured him out, a bit easy with a spellcaster
- Dragon God, the fight was pretty great, and nice change from the regular ones. and this guy was even bigger than Tower Knight
- Maneaters, again a pretty intense fight, did not expect a second one.
- Adjudicator, the fight wasn't very special but the design of him was pretty cool
- Old Hero, this was a fun fight, pretty intense, sneaking up on him  stabbing him a few times, then pray he doesnt find you
- Storm King, another cool fight, the weapon you use is really epic

I did not find the game very hard at all, except for flamelurker which i had to call for help for. If you grind enough some of the levels/bosses become quite manageable also for people that really get stuck can always use a walkthrough. It's not hard like old NES games, like mega man and other types of similar games.

I like the game but i have a few problems with it, problems that great levels and awesome bosses can't fix, and that is with some of the basic stuff with the game. Therefore it gets a 6.5/10

hmm, I'll go with an 8.8!

Pros:

- The game is hard, but has a good amount of content to justify the difficulty and makes you wanna continue on.

- The game has some good RPG elements when it comes to character development. Not as deep as some MMO's on pc, but that's expected.

- The combat is great! It tends to suck in rpg's such as this. The way you use your shield along with your positioning is important. The weapon you're using could also really change the way you fight enemies.

- Nice open world design. It seems that I had that typical linear design of this gen's games so drilled into my head that it took me a while to realize that it really is ok to "skip" worlds rather do them in numerical order.

Cons:

- We all know that the game is unforgiving, but some of the design choices are really harsh, and I'm not really talking about the combat itself. Playing the game without some kinda mini guide might leave you making some mistakes that often arn't fixable/changeable till your next playthrough. Not really a huge con, but I think it might be less of con if the game had some good communication features.

- Shorter than I expected. For some reason I was getting the impression that it'd be a little longer. If I wasn't so obsessed with checking the DS wiki so often for info on stuff, I probably would've finished alot faster. Unless you really enjoy the game and all the elements/mechanics it has to offer, you might struggle to motivate yourself to play through a 2nd time.

- Can feel a little repetitive at times. The first world (Boletarian Castle) felt big and had some pretty nice visuals. When I got to the 2nd world, I was hoping it wouldn't be too long since I got tired of the dark cramped spaces. Got to the 3rd world and things got even darker and more cramped. I can understand that the game is meant to feel abit like a "dungeon crawler", but sometimes it feels just a tad abit overdone. The enviornment starts to feel a little dead and bland, rather than dark and mysterious.

- Some of the bosses are easy'ish and have very repetitive attack patterns. In a way, it feels a little old school'ish but sometimes can feel a little lazy. Not really a huge con I guess.

My cons list seems a little long =/    It's not that I hate the game but it always feels so much easier to write longer about a game's flaws.

Anyways, it's a great game and I'll be playing some more tomorrow!

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

9/10

I think saying the game is hard or difficult isn't the right description. It's a game that doesn't suffer fools and doesn't hold your hand, but once you work it out it's not hard in the way most people think of hard games.

My only con is that being a ranged character is so much easier than being a melee character. Though in some ways the easy character build is in place of an easy mode.

Like the world and character tendancies, like the way souls are both xp and currency.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

CGI-Quality said:
Dr.Grass said:
CGI-Quality said:
BenVTrigger said:

Though I do already have Dark Souls pre-ordered without ever playing the original Demons Souls haha

No to fret, Dark Souls isn't related to Demon's Souls at all.

You keep saying this even though you know it's not true.

It came straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287123/news/dark-souls-is-not-a-sequel-to-demons-souls-dev/

Dont call people liars unless you're prepared to back up your end.

I'm just going to bow out if you don't mind.

EDIT: I think that link there makes my point quite clearly.