By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--Demon's Souls!

The game is extremely unique and well done, you actually get choices rather then the illusion of them, being able to kill any npc in the game and taking their items, even being allowed to tell them you don't want to help but ending up forced to anyways, the gameplay is solid everything is balanced and works well and the level designs are genious the engine didn't allowed for platforming just falling and they still used that in the game, item variety was okay, though the fact that everythings in the same place made the game feel rather tidious after the first playthrough, the multiplayer was incredibly fun and unique though had it flaws (3 on 1 red stone duels, d/cing out) the game used what it had extremely well, but it would be better with a little more

Around the Network
awesomeX10 said:

The game is extremely unique and well done, you actually get choices rather then the illusion of them, being able to kill any npc in the game and taking their items, even being allowed to tell them you don't want to help but ending up forced to anyways, the gameplay is solid everything is balanced and works well and the level designs are genious the engine didn't allowed for platforming just falling and they still used that in the game, item variety was okay, though the fact that everythings in the same place made the game feel rather tidious after the first playthrough, the multiplayer was incredibly fun and unique though had it flaws (3 on 1 red stone duels, d/cing out) the game used what it had extremely well, but it would be better with a little more

Great point... I love the fact I can kill everyone in the game... in my first play I killed the Maiden and lost the option to level up my character (I have to restart a new game).

Demon's Souls is unique like you said.

ethomaz said:
awesomeX10 said:

Great point... I love the fact I can kill everyone in the game... in my first play I killed the Maiden and lost the option to level up my character (I have to restart a new game).

She just gets back up you can't kill her until the end of the game when she is no longer protected 

awesomeX10 said:
ethomaz said:
awesomeX10 said:

She just gets back up you can't kill her until the end of the game when she is no longer protected 

Is she back? LOL I missed that... I just restart the game .

ethomaz said:
awesomeX10 said:
ethomaz said:
awesomeX10 said:

Is she back? LOL I missed that... I just restart the game .

yeah she falls down then just gets back up, if you kept the camera on her for 20 seconds you would have seen it

Around the Network

Hmmm... I'm very saddened by kyiledog's score... how could he only give it a 4?! That's waaay too high!!

The lower he rates something  the higher the game's actual quality (and vice versa) which confuses me because Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games ever and easily should have been given a (-)infinity/10 from him!

Whelp, no matter. As I said Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games ever. If you want a more in-depth reason for why kyiledog is wrong and should be beaten click here  

My score: 10/10

Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls NGP *fingers crossed*) here I come!

This game is so beautiful.....but it also has a lot of flaws.

Pros:

+ Excellent gameplay. Best gameplay ever you will see in an RPG. At least this gen.

+ Excellent atmosphere. Amazing. Going through the palace, looking at its outside and then looking at its inside makes you realise that its geometry is so well made. Simply mind-blowing. The poison archstone, the wind archstone, were so amazing.

+ Unique online elements. Co-op mixed with the single player makes you feel like you are playing a MMO, but alone. You have the option to play with other people of course. If you find a particular boss battle difficult, or want to get your body back for the next boss battle, you can try co-op. There's also a versus mode where black phantoms enter your world. All integrated into the single player experience.

+ Brilliant Boss Battles. This is thanks to CGI's post that I remembered. Triple B.

+ Extra-ordinary AI. Amazing AI, simply fantasic.

Cons:

- I hate the fact that you can't quit a match if a person invades your world. Once I entered 4-1 and decided I wouldn't be able to play anymore and tried to call it a day, when it didn't allow me to. Needless to say there ended up a black phantom who managed to kill me and I lost both my time and body.

- Controls. This, you get used to later on.

- No tutorial. I know this game is supposed to be hard....but WHAT THE HELL IS dexterity supposed to do? As a gamer I shouldn't need to go check out wikis to find this out. This should have been included in the game. I had trouble finding one of the characters too. Bad communication between player and game-developers.

- Frame rate and lag. Frame rate is a very minor minus. Lag is obviously a major minus.

- Some very cheap stuff in the game. Rocks will end up hitting you without warning and there will be enemies coming out you the very next moment. I was playing online fortunately so there was a message written warning me. But if you played this game offline, you will sure as hell end up dead. If this happens to you in the middle of a level when you have 10,000 souls and have almost reached the boss, you sure as hell would get angry.

Also the PvP has some cheap stuff as well. Black phantoms will invade and then run away and hide between enemies. You can neither quit, nor try to play your single player because the phantom would be hiding somewhere, just to kill you.

- Voice acting is ok, but lip-synching is not. You may not even see the lips moving.

That's about it, really.

My score: 9.0

You may ask why the score is so high even with so many problems... its simple. This game, is pure gem. It doesn't deserve anything less than 9.

8.5/10

mantlepiecek said:

- I hate the fact that you can't quit a match if a person invades your world. Once I entered 4-1 and decided I wouldn't be able to play anymore and tried to call it a day, when it didn't allow me to. Needless to say there ended up a black phantom who managed to kill me and I lost both my time and body.

I almost agree with all cons but that make me think a liitle about. Quit the invasions will be so wrong as cheat... that's bad and could destroy the online experience.

I think having an option to disable the invasions and maintain the others online feature (like messages/tips) is a better choice... but quit the invasions after receive one would be unfair to other players and the online world itself.

Somethings could be better (hello Dark Souls) but quit the invasion is not good.

Edit - I hated to loose everything because invasions... but in low level the Black Phantons who invaded you world is easy to fight... so no problem after all.

And the boss which is really an online player is the smartest thing I've seen since the boss reading your mind (memory card) in MGS.

ethomaz said:
mantlepiecek said:

I almost agree with all cons but that make me think a liitle about. Quit the invasions will be so wrong as cheat... that's bad and could destroy the online experience.

I think having an option to disable the invasions and maintain the others online feature (like messages/tips) is a better choice... but quit the invasions after receive one would be unfair to other players and the online world itself.

Somethings could be better (hello Dark Souls) but quit the invasion is not good.

Edit - I hated to loose everything because invasions... but in low level the Black Phantons who invaded you world is easy to fight... so no problem after all.

And the boss which is really an online player is the smartest thing I've seen since the boss reading your mind (memory card) in MGS.

They should have at least allowed us to go to nexus. I was literaly at the entrance of 4-1 when that happened,...yet when I changed my mind in a split-second, I couldn't go, "can't go to nexus in co-op" lol.