By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Trades increased by 200% since PSN crash

Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:

Uh... do you know what a dedicated server is and what peer to peer is?

Because... anyone can put up a dedicated server.

There are entire buisnesses dedicated to leasing dedicated servers to gamers who want to play on their own server.

Not with console games 

This is a serious question here.  Do you know the difference between a dedicated server and a Peer to Peer game?

The answer is... basically nothing unless the developer allows it.  Outside a benefit of performance and not needing to have a friends list the size of a phone book.

peer to peer the person hosts and requires a server to get into the game or the hosts ip the other one the server runs the game and you still haven't said where the free servers for the waiting room are comming from if not from Sony

Around the Network
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:

There are entire buisnesses dedicated to leasing dedicated servers to gamers who want to play on their own server.

Not with console games 

This is a serious question here.  Do you know the difference between a dedicated server and a Peer to Peer game?

The answer is... basically nothing unless the developer allows it.  Outside a benefit of performance and not needing to have a friends list the size of a phone book.

peer to peer the person hosts and requires a server to get into the game or the hosts ip the other one the server runs the game and you still haven't said where the free servers for the waiting room are comming from if not from Sony

A) Not quite

B) The company who makes the game.  As always.  In fact, I'm not even sure that Sony actually DOES host the master server lists for PS3.

Everything i've read suggests they don't.  Afterall Games for Windows live doesn't... and is Xbox Live on PC.

Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:

Not with console games 

A) Not quite

B) The company who makes the game.  As always.  In fact, I'm not even sure that Sony actually DOES host the master server lists for PS3.

Everything i've read suggests they don't.

A. If you're going to correct me correct me, just don't say I'm wrong 

B. We both know that would lead to far more outtages only for specific games instead and most ps3 exclusive games would be down now anyways so I just don't see whats so beneficial about that

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:

Not with console games 

A) Not quite

B. We both know that would lead to far more outtages only for specific games instead and most ps3 exclusive games would be down now anyways so I just don't see whats so beneficial about that

A)  Dedicated servers still use a master server to direct you to the dedicated servers.  The only difference between a Peer to Peer server, and a Dedicated server is that peer to peer servers are run by a specific player.  While peer to peer servers are run on machines "dedicated" to run those games.  Meaning they run much smoother, and makes gameplay more balanced and smooth.   That's pretty much it.  Though even that really... I could run a TF2 server off the computer I'm typing on right now for example.

B) Why?  Server outages are fairly rare.  If it went the PC route... chances are most games wouldn't ever see an outage.  VS now... where all games have faced a simaltanious outtage.  I can't think of a time a game i've played has actually had a server outage before this.

Aside from which, even if you accepted the unlikely outcome that it would be more common.  You don't see the advantage in said outages being spread out apart from each other?

It goes something like this,  "Call of Duty is down... that sucks.  Lets play some Battlefield Bad Company."

As an example of this in console form by the way...   You can still play some Sega Dreamcast games online.  Dreamcast servers have been abandoned forever.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:

Not with console games 

A) Not quite

A)  Dedicated servers still use a master server to direct you to the dedicated servers.  The only difference between a Peer to Peer server, and a Dedicated server is that peer to peer servers are run by a specific player.  While peer to peer servers are run on machines "dedicated" to run those games.  Meaning they run much smoother, and makes gameplay more balanced and smooth.   That's pretty much it.

B) Why?  Server outages are fairly rare.  If it went the PC route... chances are most games wouldn't ever see an outage.  VS now... where all games have faced a simaltanious outtage.  I can't think of a time a game i've played has actually had a server outage before this.

Aside from which, even if you accepted the unlikely outcome that it would be more common.  You don't see the advantage in said outages being spread out apart from each other?

It goes something like this,  "Call of Duty is down... that sucks.  Lets play some Battlefield Bad Company."

But this situation right now is so freaking rare, even normal matainance of every game having it's own server would overcome this 3 weeks before something like this even comes close to happening again this is pretty much a once in 10 years if that event atleast a once in 5 years so yeah... and no1 saw it comming, on the bright side the whole server network got rebuilt so hopefully that means improvement all around and features that were too much of a pain to implement before 

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Without psn/live you'd need someones IP to connect to their game...

I don't need their IP on PC.  Steam or otherwise.

I don't know the details but thats because there is a server of some kind set up for at the very least the waiting room 

Actually there are MANY different server browsers on PC.  Including Steam.

For the same games no less. 

You can use like 15-20 differnet server browsers for TF2 or Battlefield BC or whatever you wanna play.

Point being... having one service being the monolithic server browser for every game in a system... is... stupid... and I hope I don't have to explain why.

You didn't contradict me, you actually proved my point you still need A server but the question becomes on a close platform where does the servers come from if not from the company who makes the platform? You say they should do something else but don't say what else they can do 

Pssssst *whispering* it's called opening up your service to allow for people to dedicate their own servers, you know it's not hard, every online service ever has done it till XBL came into the scene, heck if it was built that way this whole situation would be a mild inconvience (of not being able to access the PSN store and your friends list) while still playing on Gamespys servers (since Sony uses the same services Nintendo uses for online ^^)

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:

Not with console games 

A) Not quite

A)  Dedicated servers still use a master server to direct you to the dedicated servers.  The only difference between a Peer to Peer server, and a Dedicated server is that peer to peer servers are run by a specific player.  While peer to peer servers are run on machines "dedicated" to run those games.  Meaning they run much smoother, and makes gameplay more balanced and smooth.   That's pretty much it.

But this situation right now is so freaking rare, even normal matainance of every game having it's own server would overcome this 3 weeks before something like this even comes close to happening again this is pretty much a once in 10 years if that event atleast a once in 5 years so yeah... and no1 saw it comming, on the bright side the whole server network got rebuilt so hopefully that means improvement all around and features that were too much of a pain to implement before

I wouldn't say NOBODY saw this coming.  People did see it coming... people specifically warned sony about security procedures and I mean... I know I thought something of Sony's would get hacked after they decided to harass hackers.

aside from which... normal maintence of each server... are you suggesting the PS3 servers don't go under maitence now?  Cause... they do...

MaxwellGT2000 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

I don't know the details but thats because there is a server of some kind set up for at the very least the waiting room 

You can use like 15-20 differnet server browsers for TF2 or Battlefield BC or whatever you wanna play.

Point being... having one service being the monolithic server browser for every game in a system... is... stupid... and I hope I don't have to explain why.

You didn't contradict me, you actually proved my point you still need A server but the question becomes on a close platform where does the servers come from if not from the company who makes the platform? You say they should do something else but don't say what else they can do 

Pssssst *whispering* it's called opening up your service to allow for people to dedicate their own servers, you know it's not hard, every online service ever has done it till XBL came into the scene, heck if it was built that way this whole situation would be a mild inconvience (of not being able to access the PSN store and your friends list) while still playing on Gamespys servers (since Sony uses the same services Nintendo uses for online ^^)

Yeah, more or less what i'm saying... but I mean... sony DOES allow people to dedicate their own servers.  It's just for some dumbass reason they force you to go through PSN to use said servers.  It's the same with Xbox Live... I'm unsure about Wii.

Portal 2 uses Steam servers afterall...  EA games use EAs own servers.

If they were smart... they would use the Steam model.

Kasz216 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:
Kasz216 said:
awesomeX10 said:

Yeah, more or less what i'm saying... but I mean... sony DOES allow people to dedicate their own servers.  It's just for some dumbass reason they force you to go through PSN to use said servers.  It's the same with Xbox Live... I'm unsure about Wii.

Portal 2 uses Steam servers afterall...  EA games use EAs own servers.

If they were smart... they would use the Steam model.

Yeah a company can, but I'd be much more comfortable with a service opened up so much that I don't have to sign into PSN if I just want to play a quick game of Naruto UNS2 online, or if servers ever get taken down someone could host their own server much like people still do for Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II for Gamecube.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000