By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Square Enix Revises Earnings Forecasts For Major Loss

That will show them people are not satisfied with crappy rpgs. Honestly, the last good SE game was KH2 on consoles.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

That will show them people are not satisfied with crappy rpgs. Honestly, the last good SE game was KH2 on consoles.

I'm assuming you haven't played TWEWY

Square Enix has cancelled multiple in-development titles, according to the company's latest financial forecast. These games were binned as the company is "introducing a tightened selection standard regarding title lineup to strengthen the revenue base of the Company's digital entertainment segment". The name/franchise of the cancelled titles was not disclosed.

http://kotaku.com/5801137/square-enix-just-cancelled-a-bunch-of-game

-------------------------

FFXIV on PS3 :D , no more FF(mainline number) online please , just make it a different series if you want or drop it.. ( Online I , Online II )

darkknightkryta said:

Yes he bought Eidos from a company all to willing to sell, SCI was all to get rid of that money sink that was Eidos and Wada bought that money sink, plus Eidos hasn't exactly released anything stellar in years.  Dragon Quest is with Nintendo because the creator says its with Nintendo, nothing more, if the creator wants Dragon Quest 10 on the Zune then it's gonna damn well be on the zune.  He secured a deal with Microsoft?  Or MIcrosoft went to Wada with a truck of cash?   And yes it is Wada's fault that his production teams are in a mess.  Final Fantasy 13's biggest problem is a lack of QA, if they had it the game could have been a lot better than it was, maybe even close to being the best in the series, but there was no QA and that's Wada's fault for it not being there, same with Final Fantasy 14.  Production team one being shit game designers is his fault cause after 3 years nothing getting done, obviously the people in charge weren''t working.  The entire team didn't even know what they were doing with the game, where it was going, how it was supposed to be played, until a year and a half before the game went gold.  That kind of mismanagement goes all the way to the top; Kitase and Toriyama arn't working, move them to another project and get people who do know what they're doing.  And even with their mistakes he's letting them make the sequel, good job there Wada.  Nomura taking 7 years with Final Fantasy versus goes back to Wada wanna know why?  Cause it was Wada who okayed moving most of Final Fantasy versus dev team to work on Final Fantasy XIII. So yes Square Enix's mess is his fault, he's supposed to be running the company a company which isn't run well.

Edios will prove themselves with Deus Ex imo. the fact that Wada bought Eidos shows hes thinking about the company from a global perspective. which is good - thats why FF13 went multiplatform, thats why Square have been releasing so many JRPGs like never before in Europe, thats why we've been getting so many special editions. because Wada is managing Sqaure to suceed on a global scale. this is why Dragon Quest games are releasing in Europe and this is also why Dragon Quest 9 had a monunmental marketing campagin here in the west thanks to Wada's partnership with Nintendo to publish the game here in the west - something which Sqaure were reluctant to do before.

and you've moved on to talk about the mismangment of the Final Fantasy teams. - Wada has given them 5 years. and a million dollar budget, no other developer in the west has had such problems. how can Wada move them onto other projects when the fans will send him death threats again - they are the Final Fantasy Production Team, its the main game they work on - he cant move them to another project.

even when he moved them onto the The 3rd Birthday, it was evident that they were the problem. since The 3rd Birthday has pretty much killed the Parasite Eve reboot here in the west.

they failed and now he has to clean up their mess, plain and simply, we have no idea what Toriyama and Kitase have been doing - but their game designers. its up to them to do a QA/play testing of the product. if the CEO interfers - they would have it out with him. hes not directly involved with the production of games - and why would anyone want him to be. a CEO should be a business man - not a game designer. we saw how Sakaguchi nearly bankrupted Sqaure because he wasnt a buisness man - Wada is - and i dont blame him for Kitase, Toriyama, Nomura, etc taking years to make poor quality products.

A203D said:
darkknightkryta said:

Yes he bought Eidos from a company all to willing to sell, SCI was all to get rid of that money sink that was Eidos and Wada bought that money sink, plus Eidos hasn't exactly released anything stellar in years.  Dragon Quest is with Nintendo because the creator says its with Nintendo, nothing more, if the creator wants Dragon Quest 10 on the Zune then it's gonna damn well be on the zune.  He secured a deal with Microsoft?  Or MIcrosoft went to Wada with a truck of cash?   And yes it is Wada's fault that his production teams are in a mess.  Final Fantasy 13's biggest problem is a lack of QA, if they had it the game could have been a lot better than it was, maybe even close to being the best in the series, but there was no QA and that's Wada's fault for it not being there, same with Final Fantasy 14.  Production team one being shit game designers is his fault cause after 3 years nothing getting done, obviously the people in charge weren''t working.  The entire team didn't even know what they were doing with the game, where it was going, how it was supposed to be played, until a year and a half before the game went gold.  That kind of mismanagement goes all the way to the top; Kitase and Toriyama arn't working, move them to another project and get people who do know what they're doing.  And even with their mistakes he's letting them make the sequel, good job there Wada.  Nomura taking 7 years with Final Fantasy versus goes back to Wada wanna know why?  Cause it was Wada who okayed moving most of Final Fantasy versus dev team to work on Final Fantasy XIII. So yes Square Enix's mess is his fault, he's supposed to be running the company a company which isn't run well.

Edios will prove themselves with Deus Ex imo. the fact that Wada bought Eidos shows hes thinking about the company from a global perspective. which is good - thats why FF13 went multiplatform, thats why Square have been releasing so many JRPGs like never before in Europe, thats why we've been getting so many special editions. because Wada is managing Sqaure to suceed on a global scale. this is why Dragon Quest games are releasing in Europe and this is also why Dragon Quest 9 had a monunmental marketing campagin here in the west thanks to Wada's partnership with Nintendo to publish the game here in the west - something which Sqaure were reluctant to do before.

and you've moved on to talk about the mismangment of the Final Fantasy teams. - Wada has given them 5 years. and a million dollar budget, no other developer in the west has had such problems. how can Wada move them onto other projects when the fans will send him death threats again - they are the Final Fantasy Production Team, its the main game they work on - he cant move them to another project.

even when he moved them onto the The 3rd Birthday, it was evident that they were the problem. since The 3rd Birthday has pretty much killed the Parasite Eve reboot here in the west.

they failed and now he has to clean up their mess, plain and simply, we have no idea what Toriyama and Kitase have been doing - but their game designers. its up to them to do a QA/play testing of the product. if the CEO interfers - they would have it out with him. hes not directly involved with the production of games - and why would anyone want him to be. a CEO should be a business man - not a game designer. we saw how Sakaguchi nearly bankrupted Sqaure because he wasnt a buisness man - Wada is - and i dont blame him for Kitase, Toriyama, Nomura, etc taking years to make poor quality products.

Look again at the credits of Square's games and you'll see how involved he is.  And I never meant to say they move the entire production team, just management.  Final Fantasy XIII not coming out the door 2 years ealier as it should have is his fault.  It's his job to make sure his producers are doing their jobs, they're not, he failed to fix the problem and that game suffered.  On top of that he's letting Kitase and Toriyama make the sequel, they screwed up terribly with the last game (Not necessarily saying the game was the worst game I've ever played, but something's wrong when after 3 years your entire production team doesn't know how the game should be played, that's bad direction and Toriyama should have been taken off the project a long time ago.) and you're gonna let them make the next game?  You even admitted they screwed up and did they get a good talking too?  No, and that is Wada's fault and he's gonna let them go on to ruin more games.  Sakaguchi wasn't the CEO at the time of his movie, yes he wrote a bad story, but look at the gamble this way, if Sakaguchi wrote the movie properly and it was amazing, Square would have had a massive movie studio on par with Pixar and Dreamworks.  Gamble failed and the CEO and Sakaguchi took the punishment, which to say is more than what they deserve, and is what Wada currently deserves.  And as far as Dragon Quest goes, NIntendo published the game here in the "west" not Square all the marketting was paid for by Nintendo cause they were publishing it.  And they did the same with Monster Hunter, so I don't think Wada's "partnership" had anything to do with it, it's something Nintendo is offering to devs not the other way around.  As far as the expansion in Europe goes, I'd say it would have happened anyways, back in the PSX days when the old CEO was in charge the "others" region wasn't as big as Japan or North America, now it is, that shift to those regions was going to happen regardless of Wada's leadership or not.

Around the Network

Sony....do what you should have done a long ass fuckin time ago and buy those fuckers

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

darkknightkryta said:
thismeintiel said:
darkknightkryta said:

And Wada has been the CEO for a decade.  At what span of time does he think SE's mismanagement and financial troubles become Wada's fault?  20 years?  After the company collapses?

Bottom line: either Wada shapes up or ships out.

You are absolutely right, funny thing is Square Enix's quality took a nose dive as soon as Wada took over.  I'm not directly blaming him, but that was around the time Sakaguchi left.  I think that was the biggest problem.  Like Sakaguchi may not have the magic anymore to make his games (I havn't had a chance to play Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon or Last Story.  So I don't know if he still has his magic.) but he was probably the quality control in the company, kinda like what Miyamoto is at Nintendo now.

Believe me (Outside of Blue Dragon which I haven't Played) Sakaguchi still has his magic.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Square-Enix need to do more games for Nintendo.

Mario Sports Mix = 1.11

^^

darkknightkryta said:

It's exactly the same as when Reggie or more importantly Iwata tried to say when Zelda or SSBB would be released. He kept saying it would be released soon and no doubt they were doing everything they could to release it as soon as possible but it is still the development teams that make the games.

I was in a management postition for a short, and I mean really short, time covering two departments and no matter how much you want your teams to work it is still  up to them to do the work. While one deparment was going good the other always caused problems. When I pushed the dead line forward the quality always took a nose dive and our consumers complained causing me to lose some valued regulars. Then the employees started to hate me the customers started to complain to my superiors. All I could do was sit there and just try to encourge both deparments to do their work as quickly and efficently as possible. Those in the good deparment couldn't just leave their work to help them. I wanted to fire the entire department and replace them with new people and .

Being a manager isn't as easy as you guys think especially when they start to underperform. I have no doubt if Wada forced FF13 to be completed a lot earlier it would be as bad as ff14 maybe even worse.

darkknightkryta said:

Look again at the credits of Square's games and you'll see how involved he is.  And I never meant to say they move the entire production team, just management.  Final Fantasy XIII not coming out the door 2 years ealier as it should have is his fault.  It's his job to make sure his producers are doing their jobs, they're not, he failed to fix the problem and that game suffered.  On top of that he's letting Kitase and Toriyama make the sequel, they screwed up terribly with the last game (Not necessarily saying the game was the worst game I've ever played, but something's wrong when after 3 years your entire production team doesn't know how the game should be played, that's bad direction and Toriyama should have been taken off the project a long time ago.) and you're gonna let them make the next game?  You even admitted they screwed up and did they get a good talking too?  No, and that is Wada's fault and he's gonna let them go on to ruin more games.  Sakaguchi wasn't the CEO at the time of his movie, yes he wrote a bad story, but look at the gamble this way, if Sakaguchi wrote the movie properly and it was amazing, Square would have had a massive movie studio on par with Pixar and Dreamworks.  Gamble failed and the CEO and Sakaguchi took the punishment, which to say is more than what they deserve, and is what Wada currently deserves.  And as far as Dragon Quest goes, NIntendo published the game here in the "west" not Square all the marketting was paid for by Nintendo cause they were publishing it.  And they did the same with Monster Hunter, so I don't think Wada's "partnership" had anything to do with it, it's something Nintendo is offering to devs not the other way around.  As far as the expansion in Europe goes, I'd say it would have happened anyways, back in the PSX days when the old CEO was in charge the "others" region wasn't as big as Japan or North America, now it is, that shift to those regions was going to happen regardless of Wada's leadership or not.

Sakaguchi was vice president of Sqaure at the time - so he had much involvement in the allocation of resources. i havent seen The Spirirts Within, but i've heard its actully very good - its just he took a gamble with when he should not have - or Sqaure wouldnt have gone bankrupt or almost bankrupt.

actully, Sqaure Enix were going to publish Dragon Quest 9 here in the west, but Wada gave the contract to Nintendo, because he thought that with their marketing resources they could do what Square couldnt do. this was a good business decision, as were his decsions to release the old Dragon Quest games here in Europe and rerelease them in the US. something other publishers in Japan are unwilling to do, ie Tales series.

i think Wada also secured the contract to publish Call of Duty in Japan, while this isnt a monumental success in Japan, it shows how hes willing to take calculated decisions like this because he wants Sqaure Enix to suceed on a global level and he knows how to do it - because hes buisness minded.

hes listed as excutive producer, this means he allocates resources to the production team, he dosent have anything to do with the conceptual design of the games. besides would you rather Wada told Toriyama and Kitase to work on FF15 and ruin another installment in the series, or simply work on the sequel to FF13, where they can do less damage to the series?? and Wada has told Kitase he has to have a new game every 2 years, i think this is good, because it means no more 5 year development cycles!

your blaming Wada for the mismanagment of the Japanese production teams, but your not attributing the internations gains of Sqaure Enix to him at all, yet he is the CEO. how can the CEO be responsible for all the things that go wrong, but not the things that are done right.

seems like you and Carl2291, dont like the fact that Final Fantasy is struggling, and the only person you can blame is the CEO who runs the company and its finances, it dosent seem to matter you that this CEO has been actively doing things for SE on an international level, and it dosent seem to matter that Wada is not a game designer and has nothing to do with the games conceptual design.

Wada has put the peices in place, hes given the studios enormous resources, freedom and in some cases advertising, its not his fault the games arnt selling well.