By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario and Sonic - Great Game but Wasted opportunity!!

**Start of Rant** 

What is it with Developers?  is it tight deadlines, ridiculous time scales or lack of thinking?  Got Mario and Sonic at xmas and been playing it last 2 days - my impressions are that this is a fantastic game and there are 2 types of games the Missions and Arena type games. 

The missions are all single player - fair enough but the Arena type can be played one or two player, each arena has around 3 events, are points based and is identical for 1 and 2 players except only in 1 player mode can you unlock events for the proper multiplayer / custom tournaments as there's only a handful available by default - WHY???

This has been marketed as a massive muliplayer party game yet in multiplayer mode you can only choose from say 100m, 110m hurdles, long jump, 100m freestyle swimming, javelin and thats about it  - this means that "parties" of people may have spent hundreds on 4 wii motes and nunchucks to have fun but they cannot really play it until somebody sits and plays it on single player mode, to me thats just dumb. 

At least let the 2, 3 or 4 players play through the arenas to unlock the events for the custom challengers

**RANT OVER**

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

tons of games do this kind of thing. Its to make you want to play the single player mode so that mode is justified.

Its stupid and annoying and put in place to make for forced longevity.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

This definitely should not have been the first time Mario and Sonic faced off in the video game world. This should have been delayed until after Brawl.

I agree completely, games shouldn't force you to play Single player campaigns, it's totally ridiculous, I've never bothered playing SSX multi player more then twice as you have to unlock it to get a decent amount of tracks.

PC games never require you to do it, it's purely a console lunacy.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

i thought all the events were multiplayer? but, whenever i played with people yesterday my cousin just brought his wiimotes and nunchukes

Around the Network

Since some of the events are short, its good to encourage people to have their own Wiimotes (etc) - less passing around needed.

And again - its GREAT that the game CAN be played by 4 people with a SINGLE Wiimote.

(picked this up yesterday, looking forward to clocking some hours on this...!)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

PREPARE FOR INFINITE PLEASURE IN HEAVEN!

I see where you are coming from, but this is the case in so many games that it really isn't worth the rant. I don't know if you have played Diddy Kong Racing back in the N64 days, but in that game, you had to finish almost the entire single player campaign to unlock the Cup mode for both multi- and singleplayer. THIS was worth a rant I tell you.

Anyways, more than half of the disciplines are unlocked already when you start the game, so it really isn't all that bad. Btw, I played the game today with a thirteen-year-old boy and a ten-year-old boy and we all had a lot of fun, I'm really looking forward to playing it with my friends now.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Yeah, that was a major failing in Warioware, too. I actually enjoyed playing WW solo enough to get all games unlocked, and I still play it solo now and then for some challenge, but it was silly to have to play a certain amount to unlock the games.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This game should have came out in August 2008 if you ask me??

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY