By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Modern Warfare 3 To Feature Bigger Story And More Destruction

While still unannounced, sources who have seen the game in action tell Kotaku that the next Call of DutyModern Warfare 3 that pushes the bar on what people have come to expect from the series. And it hits this fall. will be a

The yet-to-be announced sequel is under development by Infinity Ward, though a swath of those developers left the company in a civil-litigation uprising last year. The team is being assisted by newly minted Activision studio Sledgehammer Games, we're told. We've also heard that Raven Software may be involved.

The Call of Duty series has long alternated between two sets of stories and timelines. The games made by Treyarch have typically been set during the events of World War II, though last year's Call of Duty: Black Ops moved the setting to the Cold War of the 1960s. Starting with 2007's Modern Warfare, Infinity Ward's Call of Duties all took place in a modern day setting.

In the original Modern Warfare, a civil war breaks out in the Russia of 2011. The story continues in Modern Warfare 2, which has a terrorist attack in Russia erroneously linked to the United States. That leads Russian forces to invade the U.S. Some of the missions even feature rolling ground combat in the Washington, D.C. suburbs of Virginia and in the capital itself.

Key to the near ending of Modern Warfare 2, was the detonation of a nuclear missile in the upper atmosphere above the Mid-Atlantic, something that creates an electromagnetic pulse that destroyed all electronic equipment on both sides of the raging war in D.C. Such an event would cripple the area in the short term, essentially removing the ability to use most technology in the region as the country tries to rebuild or bring in support from other parts of the country. It also seems that it could make the story a hard one to follow in a modern day shooter.

But our sources tell us Modern Warfare 3 will continue along that storyline, delivering a "world in crisis" feel to the aftermath of the U.S. invasion. However, it looks like it won't be another take on Red Dawn, a post-U.S. invasion storyline already explored by Homefront. While it's unclear where specifically the game will be set, Modern Warfare 3 will have a urban setting, much like the U.S. missions in Modern Warfare 2, with military vehicles, including tanks, rolling through suburban streets.

The story may also include prominent characters from Modern Warfare 2, like Captain John "Soap" MacTavish and Captain John Price. Modern Warfare 2 ended with Price, Soap and a Russian informant codenamed Nikolai on the run as international fugitives following their killing of Lieutenant General Shepherd.

The biggest shift for the game appears to be in its breadth. We're told that Modern Warfare 3 will take place on a much larger, epic scale. It appears the game will explore the lead up to a blossoming set of engagements that could pull in other countries, creating a potential World War III scenario. The game will also feature large, urban destructible environments.

The focus on larger maps and destructible environments brings to mind competitor Electronic Arts' Battlefield series which made a name for itself with those two keystones. Battlefield 3 is also set for a 2011 fall release, meaning the two games could in theory be vying directly with one another for gamers' attention. Battlefield 3, as shown by EA in previous events this year, will take place in a modern setting and feature large maps and destructible environments.

We expect to hear more about the Call of Duty series and Modern Warfare 3 this summer during the annual E3 trade show.

http://kotaku.com/5800337/modern-warfare-3-to-feature-bigger-story-more-destruction-this-fall

A few minutes ago, Activision C.E.O. in an investor call said that the new Call of Duty has a massive scale, and is deemed as a universe:

“The creative excellence and sheer scale of the game we are making, and the unprecedented online universe that will accompany it will re-set the bar for this genre, giving players a new level of emersion, connectivity, community and of course epic action. The game to date has exceeded every internal milestone and we look forward to showing it to sharing it with you soon.”

He reminds investors that Call of Duty is a franchise that COD is a huge franchise:

By any measure, Call of Duty is one of the biggest entertainment franchises in the world and we expect this year’s game will set a new standard in the franchise.

The new Activision Chief Executive Officer Eric Hirshberg said that he is pouring the investment into Call of Duty to “take the experience to an entirely new level.”

http://www.mw3blog.com/callofduty/new-call-of-duty-has-massive-scale/

wow

that doesnt sound like the same old same old that most think with COD

Play Me

Around the Network

Can't wait!!!

I trust no one, not even myself.

FattyDingDong said:

Can't wait!!!

-.- and after you play the game your gonna say its shit and you wont buy another cod again. but then treyarch will release a game and youl say black ops was shit but it had promise, but then youl hate the next game and youl say how inifnity ward is a better company so their next game should be good......

and the cycle continues.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Ill believe it when i see it.

That article really did'nt give us anything but a bunch of speculation.

Around the Network

Can't wait too!!!

ethomaz said:

Can't wait too!!! ----for more of the same. 

fixed. lol

oldschoolfool said:
ethomaz said:

Can't wait too!!! ----for more of the same.

fixed. lol

I like CoD even more of the same.

I hate COD's popularity only because there are other, much more deserving games whom should generate $1 billion. That said, I will still be buying this Day 1. Sigh.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Oh yea, its great that Activision are spending a crap ton on this game, so I imagine they obviously understand the importance of making a new game which will interest consumers.

As for the destructible environments and large maps, a little of those would be good but I hope they don't go overboard with those. I don't want this to become Battlefield, I play COD because its COD and for its tight gameplay. If I wanted to play in MASSIVE maps I would just get BF, but I won't be getting BF because I don't like that kind of gameplay, takes waaay too long to get into a confrontation.

So yea, make COD as we know it, and make small innovations which improve gameplay. But most of all, FIX all the damn problems that plaque the previous title, that would be the best addition for me.