By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan and Others data up!

lynn, i guess you didn't catch that i was talking about the others region

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

When is the software coming?

Wow. So let's resume the holiday sales:

1. Handhelds:

The Winner was clear already before this holidays started, the question only is, how many records will the DS break? I say a lot. Japan probably won't see such a strong DS year again, although DQIX will get it in other spheres again. Europe and America still have a lot of potential, especially amongst the so-called hardcore gamers. This potential will be used once all the J-RPG's are coming, and maybe we will finally see some serious western support.

While the DS is killing everything, the PSP is still doing fairly well and probably making Sony happy. Selling 30 million without a good library is quite an achievement, although it is worth noting that with those abysmal software sales, most people are probably buying the PSP as a multimedia device and not as a gaming machine.

2. The home consoles

I don't see anything stopping the Wii soon. It is dominating in every region, it has good (although not great) software attach rates, and third parties also can be happy. It will be interesting to see how the sales keep up in Japan after the holidays are over, but I expect them to stay at the 50k range at least. In America and also in Europe, only supply can stop the Wii it seems.

Also the PS3 can be called a winner after this holiday. Fighting against the 360 which has a much better library, a lower price point and a higher install base, it hold up great. The third place seemed pretty much settled for Sony's machine in summer, but it made a decent comeback, selling on par with the 360 all through the holidays. I expect the gap between the PS3 and the 360 to go down to less than 2 million until the end of next year.

For the 360, the opposite of the PS3 is true. With its great library and its almost mass-market price point, the 360 should have been able to clearly outsell the PS3 not only in America, but also in Europe and it should have sold way closer to the Wii in its strongest week in America. Seeing that the guns are pretty much fired now while Sony's are still loaded, I don't see the 360 keeping its second place until the end of the generation.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

THE NINTENDO SUPREMACY WILL ANNIHILATE THIS PUNY WORLD OF HUMANS AND ENGULF THE UNIVERSE IN A VEIL OF INFINITE DESTRUCTION. SMOTHER YOURSELF WITH THINE HOLY OIL AND SAVE YOURSELF FROM THIS TERRIBLE FATE.

I maybe completely stupid but :

Software Totals: Console Weekly
DS 2,522,138
Wii 1,822,745
PS3 1,024,852
Xbox360 963,460
PS2 880,505
PSP 201,466
Total 7,415,166

it is me or the PS3 was able to sell more game than the Xbox360 ?

seems a bit IMPOSSIBLE considering the user base ...

EDIT : ah ok, it is just OTHERS software, I expected it a little but was not sure ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Ajax said:
oh well
but don't forget
american sales are much more season and month bounded than european sales
european sales are much more stable and better divided over the months of a year
plus the big games that come out the coming months and half year for the ps3
i really see it overtaking the 360 before summer max this summer

where did you find this? actually the contrary is true: NA market is bigger than EU/Others every given week of the year (about 30% more) EXCEPT FOR the holiday season (when EU/other is slightly bigger than NA) ...

i still see X360>PS3 in western countries after this holyday season unless Sony manages to lift up PS3 sales in US..

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

@ fkusmont

LOL

It's time for Microsoft to instigate an ENORMOUS price cut in the Others region.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Spectrumglr said:
Ajax said:
oh well
but don't forget
american sales are much more season and month bounded than european sales
european sales are much more stable and better divided over the months of a year
plus the big games that come out the coming months and half year for the ps3
i really see it overtaking the 360 before summer max this summer

where did you find this? actually the contrary is true: NA market is bigger than EU/Others every given week of the year (about 30% more) EXCEPT FOR the holiday season (when EU/other is slightly bigger than NA) ...

i still see X360>PS3 in western countries after this holyday season unless Sony manages to lift up PS3 sales in US..

Not only that but his prediction that the PS3 could overtake the 360 before summer so out of touch with reality thats its not quite funny.

Based on the current lead the 360 has over the PS3, if the PS3 were to tie it by Summer (end of June) it would have to sell 1.22 million more systems than the 360 per month. That translates to roughly 300k more than the 360 per week. Basically for his prediction to come true then the PS3 is going to have to continue with holiday like sales throughout the next 6 months, or the 360 will have to literally just stop selling (as in 0 per week).

Now the second part of his prediction is that at the latest the PS3 will overtake the 360 is by the end of summer is equally out of touch, but not quite as batshit insane. For this to happen the PS3 would have to sell 810k more than the 360 every month until the end of summer (end of sept). This translates to a roughly 200k lead each and every week. Keep in mind that this is several times more than the PS3s current weekly lead over the 360 and is more than twice the typical weekly sales of the PS3 at the same time last year - and thats how much more than the 360 would sell.

TL;DR summary; LOL @ "PS3 will overtake 360 before summer"

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"