By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My impressions of SMG and MP3:C

I recieved Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Christmas. These were my two most anticipated games ever, because Super Mario 64 (Though Sunshine was great too) and Metroid Prime were the best games ever in my opinion. I had previously played every notable Mario and Metroid game up to that point and enjoyed all of them. Alternating between playing through one and the other yesterday,  my impressions were very different from one another.

GRAPHICS:

Super Mario Galaxy's graphics are great - not perfect; I could have done with more shiny and reflections, but overall they match Sunshine while increasing the draw distance to have all of the planets. Galaxy looks much better in motion; flying between planets is the best use of 3D graphics I have ever seen in any game, "next-gen" or not. The art direction is awesome: it fits perfectly with the level design. Sunshine had a more suitable atmosphere and Mario 64 pushed the console more, but on Galaxy it doesn't matter because you'll have left the planet before tiring of the graphics there. The best graphics to be found are the boss models and the Black Holes. 7/10

Metroid Prime 3's graphics, however, are perfect. There is so much detail and unique work in each room; the cutscenes are some of the most natural I've seen; and the "extreme" environments are indeed extreme because of the superb art direction. When the base is under attack in the first area of the game; you feel actually in danger as if Pirates were going to come through the walls because of the battles outside and the vibration/particles. The downside is that sometimes there are insufficient environments to express the potential of the graphics (that problem was worse in Metroid Prime 2: purple swamp or purple desert?) and the loading times have noticeably increased. 9/10

SOUND:

Super Mario Galaxy has great sound. The orchestrated music is all great, and there are a few themes (less than Super Mario 64, but...) that are truly memorable. The sound effects are perfect, they removed the voice acting that detracted from Sunshine, the music notes playing classic tunes are genius, and when they start doing remixes of classic remixes you know it's perfect. 5/5

Metroid Prime 3 has unremarkable sound. Some of the environmental tracks are quite good, especially the fire and ice planets, but for the most part they fade into the background like Metroid Prime 2's did. I wanted a new Tallon Overworld or Chozo Ruins, but there's no attachment between music and place. Again, the sound effects are adequate, but the very best ones are ripped drectly out of the Gamecube games or are remixes of NES or SNES Metroids. Well, I can say it doesn't damage the game. 3/5

UN-STORY:

Super Mario Galaxy could have done without a story like all Mario games, but the heavy prose is optional and so not intrusive. If Galaxy had no story beyond a kidnapped princess it would have been perfect, but occasionally the plight of a random woman in green jumps out at you so it cannot be. 4/5

Metroid Prime 3 certainly has an epic story, but it was at the expense of exploration and imagination in level design. In every other Metroid game, there has been little real reason to be running around the planets looking for the Ice Beam, but here we have to save some Federation guys I don't care about instead of exploring. The addition of other Hunters in MP:H was the perfect thing to make the game boring and repetitive; and so this mechanic returns in MP3:C just to irritate me. 3/5

DESIGN:

Super Mario Galaxy's best feature is its level design. The balance and timing is perfect to captivate the player, and each planet is so different that nothing is ever reused. It is a linear game; nevertheless the path taken is never obvious until you reach a given planet. You feel like you're making a decision to turn left, while in reality that is the intended path. You're never lost, but you're never sure where you'll end up. Each star in a galaxy is so different that every one might as well be in a brand new galaxy - it's that good. Finally, the comet stars give variety to an already strong premise by carefully selecting a unique aspect of a level to challenge you. For example, the only star which I've encountered where the difficulty was the speed of the enemies was #3 of the Beach Bowl Galaxy. As soon as I completed that, a comet appeared to challenge me to only the hard part of that star - with much faster enemies. There is only one issue and that is that the hub wasn't well developed enough - however this is easy to ignore because of the depth elsewhere. To be honest spending most of your time in the overworld (Super Mario 64 DS had 1/5 of the stars there) merely backtracking or doing mini-puzzles is bad anyway. 9/10

Metroid Prime 3 has good level design comparing well with its predecessors. There is effective use of puzzles and the limited extent of exploration is adequate. It is never repetitive but some mechanics are reused from earlier games with the new weapons not being used to a great extent to solve puzzles. The Wii Remote as explained in the Controls section also has its potential wasted through menial tasks like locks. The Grapple Beam is perhaps the best used motion-sensing tool, but its use in the levels is again limited. 7/10

GAMEPLAY/CONTROLS:

Super Mario Galaxy's gameplay is faithful to Super Mario 64: every control from sliding down poles to side somersaults was the same. The addition of the spin is so natural - when I am frustrated with a situation or obstacle, waving the remote is the instinctive reaction and it just works; the same is true for the Star Bit gathering. Every puzzle can be solved exactly like you would predict from Super Mario 64, but the gravity mechanic introduces enough complexity to keep it interesting and fresh. The Wii Remote is not necessarily superior to the Gamecube controller except for the spin and collecting moves, but the controls are in the best places at least. 13/15

Metroid Prime 3's gameplay looks to be similar to Metroid Prime 1 and 2, but controls are a disappointment. No; they are a catastrophe which ruins the entire game. All of the modes including No Free Aim are loose and inaccurate; when I want it to lock on I want the shots to go where I want like on the Gamecube! Easy enemies can just dodge and shoot at me as I bump into walls and shoot over their heads. The Wii Remote additions are indeed tacked on and clunky while breaking up the atmosphere of places into something more like Wario Ware. The viewpoint doesn't seem to be much different from Metroid Prime 1 and 2, but somehow the controls make me feel it is small and constrained. Weapon and visor switching is slow and complicated while making me press the wrong buttons and enter Hyper Mode/open the Map/Jump/Morph Ball/waste Missiles/etc. The whole game might be better than Metroid Prime, but I'll never realise that if I constantly think "Why can't I have a Gamecube controller?". In conclusion, I feel they have tried to make the game appeal more to core FPS fans and casual gamers at the same time: destroying the experience for both these and players from the core Nintendo audience such as me. 6/15

VALUE

Super Mario Galaxy is long enough to provide excellent value, and while the co-op feels tacked on, multiplayer wasn't really an option for this kind of game. Getting all 241 stars will take quite some time too if you want to. This game also has value because everyone in your family can play it. 4/5

Metroid Prime 3 is a long game which does provide value for money. It has several types of collectible items the player can find, as well as coloured tokens for certain achievements, some of which can be traded online and all of which unlock rewards such as concept art. One problem is that if you don't have many Wii-owning friends it can be very hard to fairly trade vouchers, making some of the content inaccessible. However, the main issue is the lack of online multiplayer - a huge missed opportunity. Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer was at its core great: it just needed expanding with more weapons, maps and modes. Hunters was great but limited by the DS's capabilities and my dislike of the single-player game there. MP3 could have solved all of these issues and added online play to match the other great console sci-fi shooter series. So, despite the core game having good value, that omission detracts from the score. 3/5

TOTALS:

Super Mario Galaxy 42/50 (A* Grade)

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 31/50 (C Grade) 

40+ A*

36+ A

32+ B

28+ C

24+ D

20+ E

Less than 20 U 

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

My first impressions are far better for graphic wise (for SMG)

The graphics are fantastic the game looks AWSOME, its so danm colorful i love it.
9.5/10 i just love it, a game with this art direction deserves praise

Sound-5/5 of course danm i love it

Story 2/5 heh the story is always crap in mario, but who cares.

Design 9/10 like you said

game controls 13.5/15 game controls are alot better then i thought, i have some trouble with the shaking and star gathering but the controls are really qutie good.

Value- 9/10 Like you said

overall
43/50 HOWEVER games by me are not average and who cares about story in SMG

this game needs a fun factor and that fun factor makes this game AT LEAST a 47/50 IMO

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I gave both Un-Story marks. The less story, the higher the mark. I despise intrusive, epic stories.

Also, I know Mario Galaxy is the best game I could possible review, so since it came out as 42/50 I know I'm harsh so the A* grade starts at 40/50. I hope to review more Wii and DS games in the future.

What do you think of my comments on Metroid? They wrecked the controls in my opinion.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Game_boy said:
What do you think of my comments on Metroid? They wrecked the controls in my opinion.

Diametrically opposed. The controls worked beautifully for me. I had no problems with accuracy; I felt the pointer tracking was absolutely razor sharp. It almost makes me think you have a problem with your setup that's causing the IR camera and sensor bar not to work the way they should.  Especially in light of most reviewers saying things like "this is how FPS controls should be done on the Wii."

A few things stand out that don't make sense:

Metroid's condemnation of having a similar view point as previous Metroid Primes.... wait.... there's more views than first person shooting? I'm confused on why that is bad. I'd hope in the future that if you were to give us ratings on, say Halo, Unreal, etc, that you be sure and rate them just as fairly and state how it's been done before.

I disagree with Mario's graphics. I've played it, and it looks very very cool on the eyes, very bright, lots of colors that don't annoy (me), sharp, almost no hint of polygons, it's a completely different appearance than any other game... (we've already discussed the Mario Sunshine to Mario Galaxy comparison in another thread. Needless to say it was locked due to the overwhelming opinion that Galaxy > Sunshine, just from simple comparisons... I don't think you'll win that fight)

Sound: I haven't liked 80% of Metroid's music as of late. The snow level seems to be the only music worth finding... so I agree with your criticism there.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Around the Network
Entroper said:
Game_boy said:

Diametrically opposed. The controls worked beautifully for me. I had no problems with accuracy; I felt the pointer tracking was absolutely razor sharp. It almost makes me think you have a problem with your setup that's causing the IR camera and sensor bar not to work the way they should. Especially in light of most reviewers saying things like "this is how FPS controls should be done on the Wii."

Agreed.

Honestly, if you had a tough time playing MP3 and you hate games like WarioWare, I think you may have bought the wrong console...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I did not like the MP3 controls either, the controls were inaccurate. Several times it lagged after when I moved the wiimote. That is my only problem with the game.

A lot of the time, people having trouble with the Wiimote lagging also have sensitivity set to an extremely wrong setting. Don't blame the game if the controls seem to lag or be inaccurate; you probably just need to set sensitivity higher. This has been the case in pretty much every complaint post on the GameFAQs forums concerning MP3's controls being "too loose". That, or they were over-exaggerating their movements and/or not watching where their target reticle was aiming.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

I think there may also be problems with people who have HDTVs with TV lag. With something so immediate as point-and-shoot, any lag will be noticeable.

Hmmm, I found the controls on both games to be the best part of both games, far superior to gamepad controls

Like Render said you need to tweak your settings 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)