By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony : 10 Million CC details have been stolen.

CHANGE YOUR BANK DETAILS IF YOU HAVE USED PSN NOW. THIS IS NO JOKE. AND TOOK SONY TO LONG TO TELL YOU ALL THIS. ALL THEY ARE OFFERING IN COMPENSATION? A 30 DAY FREE TRIAL.

SOURCE

I. New Details -- 10M CC's Lost

This week Sony revealed new details in media comments and posts to its PlayStation blog.  It commented that up to 10 million users' credit card numbers were likely obtained by the intruder.  

Until now it was unknown whether or not the hackers had gained access to the part of the database containing credit card numbers.

They state it was unclear whether the information thief could gain access to users' credit cards as the numbers were encrypted.  Sony indicated that it did not encrypt any of its other user records -- including username, real name, address, email addresses, and birth date.  Those records were stored as plain-text and should be easily usable by a malicious party.  

Passwords were not encrypted, but were hashed.  They were reportedly not salted, which means reversing the hash should be feasible for a savvy cyber-criminal.

Kaz Hirai, Sony's executive deputy president, addressed the public in a streamed press conference [video] late last week, bowing deeply in the traditional Japanese expression of regret.  He stated, "We offer our sincerest apologies"

The timeline of events in the intrusion has now become clearer.  The intruder gained access between April 17 and 19, apparently having free reign of Qriocity servers.  Then on April 19 Sony detected the intrusion and locked out the system.  

The PSN service was shut down on April 20.  Sony hired three independent firms to investigate the breach.  It declined to notify users' though, until April 25.

Around the Network

Are we gonna do this again Selnor?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:

Are you gonna tell me this was posted already?

If it is why the hell is VGC Search so poor?

selnor said:
Ajescent said:

Are you gonna tell me this was posted already?

If it is why the hell is VGC Search so poor?

I actually can't be arsed to deal with this right now, you amaze me sometimes you really do.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Awful article , load of crap aswell.

I mean WTF is this trash:

To clarify, Qriocity -- the entity who maintains the PSN and whom Sony has been referring to in third person in its blogs -- is actually part of Sony.  The group offers streaming video and music services, in addition to maintaining Sony's online gaming efforts.  The trade name was put in place in June 2010 and Sony has been referring to it in third person ever since.  Some have complained that Sony is obfuscating its own role in the breach by sharing the blame with Qriocity in its releases, when in fact Qriocity is a part of Sony.

Around the Network

you guys try way to fucking hard man seriously

my palm....it's on my face

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Reported as a misleading thread, FUD, with no rumor disclaimer. FYI Sony never said that 10 millions CC numbers had been stolen.

Selnor this is just more FUD!

SONY has never reported they reported CC were stolen  the XXACT oposite was said at press stream

your pissin ppl off because your not posting accurate information

this is the fourth thread officializing CC stolen but the info is fud

if you dont care enough to keep up with the issue DONT POST ANYTHING ON THE TOPIC!!!!

jeez i almost threw my heart up...fuck

Sweep said:

Reported as a misleading thread, FUD, with no rumor disclaimer. FYI Sony never said that 10 millions CC numbers had been stolen.

They also never assured they were not stolen. All they said was we do not know yet. Did you even read this article? They dont even state it as a fact they are stolen, just that they may have been. This article is actually pretty accurate

"Until now it was unknown whether or not the hackers had gained access to the part of the database containing credit card numbers.

They state it was unclear whether the information thief could gain access to users' credit cards as the numbers were encrypted.  Sony indicated that it did not encrypt any of its other user records -- including username, real name, address, email addresses, and birth date.  Those records were stored as plain-text and should be easily usable by a malicious party.  "

Nothing in there that says they are stolen for sure. Just to be cautous. They also talk of what sony is offering if you feel your CC info was compromised. Did you guys read the article?