By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 users are you thinking of switching to a Xbox 360?

irstupid said:
Michael-5 said:
irstupid said:

but i wish sony would have had liek always two models.  ONE has BC, while the other doesn't.  Screw this 60 gb to 180 gb or whatever stuipd hard drive shit.  hard drives anyone can purchase.  removing bc is somethign else entirely

I think what's fair is allowing people access to you're consoles infrastructure (like Adroid devices) so someone else could make a PS2 emulator which runs PS2 disks.

PS3 is completly capable of playing PS2 game disks, and ancient consoles which are no longer in production (Sega Dreamcast). I see nothing wrong with making your PS3 play PS2 games as it was a part of older PS3 hardware, and I see nothing wrong with making it play games for consoles which no longer exist.

I do see something wrong with reducing the capabilities of your console, and then sueing people who figure out how to restore these properties.

well yea, i see nothing wrong with modding consoles that you OWN and playing games that you OWN on them.  hell if someone can mod a ps3 to play 360 games i'm fine with that as well.  they still have to buy the games. 

i was just saying removing bc pissed me off. and i would much rather them if they have 2 versions it be a bc one and a non bc one instead of pathetic hard drive space. 

and yea their SAVINGS, were purely for themselves.  tehy screwed us consumers over.  we used to get something, and now we don't.  same price, less features.

Well no, modding a PS3 to play 360 or Wii games is different. Those consoles still exist, and Sony doesn't have licences to play 360 games. That's unfair because by moding a PS3 to play 360 or Wii games (assuming modding it to even play 360 games is possible), will affect console sales.

If you want to play Halo or Mario Kart, you need to own the respective console.

Moding the PS3 to play old consoles, which are no longer in curculation is different. All moding a PS3 to play Sega Saturn does is save you money. Sega is not loosing money on an un-purchased console, since they no longer produce them, and neither are game sales. In fact this type of modification is legal in USA and Canada.

Either way removing BC was just unfair. the fact that Sony sued GeoHotz for restoring this feature and attemping to surpass privacy laws is even worse. The Code of Conduct sony showed was just plain pathetic.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

nope

Michael-5 said:
irstupid said:
Michael-5 said:
irstupid said:

but i wish sony would have had liek always two models.  ONE has BC, while the other doesn't.  Screw this 60 gb to 180 gb or whatever stuipd hard drive shit.  hard drives anyone can purchase.  removing bc is somethign else entirely

I think what's fair is allowing people access to you're consoles infrastructure (like Adroid devices) so someone else could make a PS2 emulator which runs PS2 disks.

PS3 is completly capable of playing PS2 game disks, and ancient consoles which are no longer in production (Sega Dreamcast). I see nothing wrong with making your PS3 play PS2 games as it was a part of older PS3 hardware, and I see nothing wrong with making it play games for consoles which no longer exist.

I do see something wrong with reducing the capabilities of your console, and then sueing people who figure out how to restore these properties.

well yea, i see nothing wrong with modding consoles that you OWN and playing games that you OWN on them.  hell if someone can mod a ps3 to play 360 games i'm fine with that as well.  they still have to buy the games. 

i was just saying removing bc pissed me off. and i would much rather them if they have 2 versions it be a bc one and a non bc one instead of pathetic hard drive space. 

and yea their SAVINGS, were purely for themselves.  tehy screwed us consumers over.  we used to get something, and now we don't.  same price, less features.

Well no, modding a PS3 to play 360 or Wii games is different. Those consoles still exist, and Sony doesn't have licences to play 360 games. That's unfair because by moding a PS3 to play 360 or Wii games (assuming modding it to even play 360 games is possible), will affect console sales.

Moding the PS3 to play old consoles, which are no longer in curculation is different. All moding a PS3 to play Sega Saturn does is save you money. Sega is not loosing money on an un-purchased console, since they no longer produce them, and neither are game sales. In fact this type of modification is legal in USA and Canada.

Either way removing BC was just unfair. the fact that Sony sued GeoHotz for restoring this feature and attemping to surpass privacy laws is even worse. The Code of Conduct sony showed was just plain pathetic.

I never read any article suggesting Geohot was trying to restore BC. Where is this idea coming from?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

qmoney88 said:
Pristine20 said:
qmoney88 said:
Pristine20 said:

The only game I play online is KZ2. Can't play it on 360 so the answer's no.

holy shit you play an ass ton of kz2, 319,000 kills?  thats crazy man.

Yeah lol. Unfortunately, I can't find any other MP FPS thats better than kz2 IMO, not even kz3. Been playing since launch with no end in sight

Thats awesome though, I love your dedication and respect your opinion, personally bad company 2 is my fav but my friends are so close minded its not even funny and I value the ability to game with my friends more than anything else, such an f'd up situation lol.

In my case, half my PSN friends are from kz2 lol. I really dont care as much for playing with friends tho. I'm fine with randoms. None of my real life friends is a KZ2 player. Some dont care for games at all.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Michael-5 said:

I never read any article suggesting Geohot was trying to restore BC. Where is this idea coming from?

Sorry ignore that last sentence. However GeoHotz did restore features of the PS3, and was sued for distribution of jailbreaking methods. I believe BC was one of those features, but I'm not sure.

BC is my complaint, and it's one of the features that can be restored with a jailbreak. Just an example I can expand upon, because I'm not sure what other features were restored with GeoHotz.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
irstupid said:
the_wizard_man said:
Michael-5 said:

I have both, well all 3, but if I didn't I still probably wouldn't.

Mainly because of reliability. Yea PSN is having this major Identity theft issue, but I think it's a freak accident, and probably won't happen again. I know the next gen MS console will fall apart on my like my 360 did multiple times. All repairs were under warrenty, but that was as big of a hassle as this PSN down thing.

I just know now to never put credit card information, or personal information on XBL or PSN.

However if I hear Sony sue more people over jailbreaking, or modifying their PS3 devices, I will. Devices shouldn't be locked like the PS3 was, and removing features like backward compatibility to save $$ and encourage PS3 gaming is just plain unfair.

Removing BC to save $$$ was totally fair since they passed all the savings and then some down to the consumer, the consumers voted for that one with their wallets, as for the suing over jailbreak the guy distributed the hack thats the problem, which basically means he gives it to pirates, and if you think all info should be shared you consider how bad it would be if every terrist and angry person knew how to make bombs, dirty bombs, nukes ect.

you can easily go online and see how to make bombs, but comparing bombs to hacking your ps3?  seriously.

Not dirty bombs not nukes, and that had nothing to do with the hack I was talking about distributing information to people who you know WILL misuse it, as for the BC two skus I agree with you on that but Sony didn't feel that enough people cared about it so it is what it is, as long as ps2 is still selling (for the price that a bc model would cost extra) I don't really care

Michael-5 said:
Pristine20 said:
Michael-5 said:

Sorry ignore that last sentence. However GeoHotz did restore features of the PS3, and was sued for distribution of jailbreaking methods. I believe BC was one of those features, but I'm not sure.

BC is my complaint, and it's one of the features that can be restored with a jailbreak. Just an example I can expand upon, because I'm not sure what other features were restored with GeoHotz.

Jailbreak can't restore BC, he was trying to restore other OS, ps3 doesn't have the parts to play ps2 games properly 

No, next generation I'll be PC only though.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

the_wizard_man said:
irstupid said:
the_wizard_man said:
Michael-5 said:

Mainly because of reliability. Yea PSN is having this major Identity theft issue, but I think it's a freak accident, and probably won't happen again. I know the next gen MS console will fall apart on my like my 360 did multiple times. All repairs were under warrenty, but that was as big of a hassle as this PSN down thing.

I just know now to never put credit card information, or personal information on XBL or PSN.

However if I hear Sony sue more people over jailbreaking, or modifying their PS3 devices, I will. Devices shouldn't be locked like the PS3 was, and removing features like backward compatibility to save $$ and encourage PS3 gaming is just plain unfair.

Removing BC to save $$$ was totally fair since they passed all the savings and then some down to the consumer, the consumers voted for that one with their wallets, as for the suing over jailbreak the guy distributed the hack thats the problem, which basically means he gives it to pirates, and if you think all info should be shared you consider how bad it would be if every terrist and angry person knew how to make bombs, dirty bombs, nukes ect.

you can easily go online and see how to make bombs, but comparing bombs to hacking your ps3?  seriously.

Not dirty bombs not nukes, and that had nothing to do with the hack I was talking about distributing information to people who you know WILL misuse it, as for the BC two skus I agree with you on that but Sony didn't feel that enough people cared about it so it is what it is, as long as ps2 is still selling (for the price that a bc model would cost extra) I don't really care

When Sony removed BC, price did not drop. So the extra $10 it costs to include BC (probably less) goes right to Sony's Pocket. A new PS2 does not cost <$10.

You are right in the fact that most people didn't care about it, but many people do. My PS2 is broken, so Iwould have really appreciated a BC PS3.

Michael-5 said:
the_wizard_man said:
irstupid said:
the_wizard_man said:
Michael-5 said:

When Sony removed BC, price did not drop. So the extra $10 it costs to include BC (probably less) goes right to Sony's Pocket. A new PS2 does not cost <$10.

You are right in the fact that most people didn't care about it, but many people do. My PS2 is broken, so Iwould have really appreciated a BC PS3.

What are you talking about the price dropped by 100 between the BC sku and the non-BC one and if you wanted a BC ps3 why didn't you buy one?