By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - can some1 xplain y is wii outselling xbox 360 n ps3?

Gnizmo said:
leo-j said:
@Gnizmo

Im saying that after the holidays if it keeps selling 1M or more a month I will be confused.

Why would it go from being sold out all year to selling less than 50% of the units manufactured?

leo-j definitely shows his age when he makes comments like this.  He would like it to suddenly stop selling so that his favorite console will "win" or whatever, but there is no actual reason whatsoever for it to do so.  

I don't necessarily agree with the characterization of leo-j as "just another earnest wacko" as described on page 1;  johnlucas may make some outlandish claims, but at least he explains his rationale and points to the market for some basis, however off base it may at times end up being.  leo-j on the other hand just keeps repeating the same stuff over and over, as if his desire that PS3 "win" can make it do so by sheer force of will. 

Around the Network

Sony and MS seem to have spent the last 5 years fighting over what is essentially the smallest % of the gaming market while nintendo put that aims on people who are outside that demographic. Not all gamers (and especially non gamers) want to drive a tuned up car or shoot aliens/nazis all day long.

Aim for the largest market, get the most sales. Simple.

I think some people, while it's somewhat TOO blatantly obvious, forget that the Wii has this name attached to it:

Nintendo

While some people might overlook that significance, I would think almost every person on the 'market' or 'possible market' has heard of this name to a greater extent than Playstation or XBox. The latter two might be labeled by a lot of 'older' people as 'that new stuff for youngens' while 'Nintendo' seems to carry out its original philosophies fairly well throughout its time in North America.

There's not a lot of trust with "Microsoft".

There's also a lot of publicity on Sony's 'mishaps' financially, as a corporation, and certainly a lot of PR fumbles.

Nintendo? Hmm... the only real thing I think most of the public knows is that the last 5-7 years has seen an absence of that strong previous presence. Now? Hell, my 53 year old dad has a Wii sitting in his bedroom - last console owned? SNES. Now he plays Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports. The last games I saw him play were Gradius 3 (SNES) and Super Mario World (SNES).

My Brother, 31, owns almost a dozen Wii games. He hasn't been interested in a console since N64.

I just think 'faith' in the corporate name has a lot to do with relaxed players to enjoy themselves more, let alone buy something.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

@Leo-J

I've found that you have to wait until College to actually know what 'group experience' is. And Wii is a no-brainer compared to a 360 or PS3.

When the tap is pouring, the mouths chatting, the girls and boys swinging Wii-motes, the PS3 nearby in our house is NOT being touched.

Call me silly, but doesn't every highschool student want girls or boys to 'hang out' with? It seems that buying your male friend's respect by getting a 360 seems a lot less worthy than buying a Wii so that the girls want to play with you.

Girls > 360+PS3.
Wii = Girls.
Wii > 360+PS3.

And I'm NOT saying girls don't play games. But more female gender persons will pick up a Wii before they go "shoot creatures" or go crash cars in to the sides of walls aimlessly and become bored.

Wanna come over and play with my Wii tonight?

Around the Network
facher83 said:
@Leo-J

I've found that you have to wait until College to actually know what 'group experience' is. And Wii is a no-brainer compared to a 360 or PS3.

When the tap is pouring, the mouths chatting, the girls and boys swinging Wii-motes, the PS3 nearby in our house is NOT being touched.

Call me silly, but doesn't every highschool student want girls or boys to 'hang out' with? It seems that buying your male friend's respect by getting a 360 seems a lot less worthy than buying a Wii so that the girls want to play with you.

Girls > 360+PS3.
Wii = Girls.
Wii > 360+PS3.

And I'm NOT saying girls don't play games. But more female gender persons will pick up a Wii before they go "shoot creatures" or go crash cars in to the sides of walls aimlessly and become bored.

Excuse me man, girls have cooties, did you miss that memo?    

PRICE.

YOU MUST BE STUPID(or just not a GAMER), NOT TO BUY 80GB PS3 FOR 199-249$, AFTER MGS4, KZ2, FFXIII, LBP, GT5 RELEASES.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Because both of PS3 & X360 aren't a fad.... Wii is a big fad that last long and even more than PS2.....compare the line chart between 2 of them you will know it.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

macross said:
Because both of PS3 & X360 aren't a fad.... Wii is a big fad that last long and even more than PS2.....compare the line chart between 2 of them you will know it.

Please post link to chart fo detail?

CrazzyMan said:
PRICE.

YOU MUST BE STUPID(or just not a GAMER), NOT TO BUY 80GB PS3 FOR 199-249$, AFTER MGS4, KZ2, FFXIII, LBP, GT5 RELEASES.

Sarcasm meter is broken....

Logic failure.

Computer failure.