By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are you canceling your credit card after the hacker attack?

dsister said:
Wagram said:

I somehow doubt that.

What don't you believe. Credit Unions are much nicer, and as long as I live in my state I will never touch a bank! 

Yeah, credit unions in general are far superior to banks... because they are non-profit banks more or less.  The reason they're much nicer is because basically, when you have your money in a credit union... YOU own part of the credit union.

Some state Credit Unions I think aren't FDIC insured though, so you want to make sure yours is. 

Around the Network

No, it turns out the Credit Card that I had on the PSN expired in Feb.  It just shows I didnt use it that much to begin with. Especially since PS Plus.  But I still dont believe that source or its information.  

Kasz216 said:

Yeah, credit unions in general are far superior to banks... because they are non-profit banks more or less.  The reason they're much nicer is because basically, when you have your money in a credit union... YOU own part of the credit union.

Some state Credit Unions I think aren't FDIC insured though, so you want to make sure yours is. 

I know for a fact that mine is! ^^ 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Kasz216 said:
dsister said:
Wagram said:

I somehow doubt that.

What don't you believe. Credit Unions are much nicer, and as long as I live in my state I will never touch a bank! 

I use a Credit Union myself.

I only have a bank card but I plan on getting a new one once my car insurance goes through.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:

no id be more inclined to use it for a big purchase then claim fraud

Because you're the first person that has ever thought of that...

ramuji said:
Boutros said:

What why would anyone be paranoid enough to cancel their credit card?

You won't have to pay if your credit card is used you know.

Credit card companies are aware of the situation and they would do anything to keep you as one of their clients.

I called my credit card company yesterday to ask about how long it would take to issue me a new card, as well as what other options I might have other than outright canceling my card. Still haven't made up my mind yet. 

A couple of years ago I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card. It wasn't a large amount and the credit company was helpful about taking care of it for me, but their investigation took a lot of time and it ended up being more than two months before my account was cleared of the fraudulent purchase. 

ASSUMING that credit card info has been stolen from Sony and that it could get into the hands of anyone willing to pay for it, multiple fraudulent purchases or cash withdraws in large amounts could effectively shut down my line of credit for two (or more)   months. 

So, yeah, I think I'll remain "paranoid" for a while longer.

Just tell them to call you if a purchase is made outside of your area, most card offer this service, they will be able to cancel the transaction right away. Thats what I did. The Mastercard agent didnt think the situation was really problematic, though.

twesterm said:
Max King of the Wild said:

no id be more inclined to use it for a big purchase then claim fraud

Because you're the first person that has ever thought of that...

It could work

The old axiom better safe then sorry does seem to apply. Firstly do you really want to try to resolve a situation after the fact when it is going to cost you a lot of time, money, and heartache. Banks and other corporations are beauracracies, and that means they resolve problems at a snails pace. That can mean dozens of hours on phones, and in meetings. You may have to hire a third party to resolve the issues for you. Secondly it isn't necessarily assured that those institutions are going to side with you. They can find that you are libel for the charges. They are not going to take your word that the charge is erroneous. They are going to want proof.

I have a coworker that had his identity stolen, and had his credit card information stolen. He had insurmountable proof that it wasn't him in both cases. He was residing, working, and on record as being at work at the time of these acts. Over a thousand miles away. In a nutshell no possible way he could or should have been held responsible. They even caught, tried, and convicted the perpetrator. Guess what my coworker has had his wages garnished, still has a criminal record over this, and has had his credit trashed. After dozens of hours, and hundreds of miles of leg work. He decided to hire a law firm to solve his problem. They had no more luck then he had eventually telling him that he would have to spend over twenty thousand dollars to litigate it at a federal level.

He is still fighting it of coarse. Except now the government, and financial institutions involved have taken the money. Yes life isn't fair, and frankly neither is the system. Don't place your faith in the system working for you. They do not have to see it your way if they do not want to. So if you had information with them it is probably the best thing to do to protect yourself. Before say six months from now you find out someone has destroyed you. Really is thirty minutes on a phone that bad, or twenty dollars a month for identity security. No it isn't at all.

Like I said before,I only used PSN cards,but I would check my bank statements if I was using my credit cards.