By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Industry to Nintendo, "We finally got you."

Industry to Nintendo, "We finally got you."

True, death knells are ringing 39 19.02%

False, Nintendo will be fine 110 53.66%

Pachter, Jaffe? LOL 56 27.32%

Total:205
Play4Fun said:

another epic cycle that speaks the truth!

Around the Network

The 3DS will catch on, it just needs some of the more attractive future software. Nintendo's only mistake was giving 3rd parties a head start on the system launch, aside from Capcom...

Nintendo profits have just fallen back to earth. I don't think its anything to worry about, we just have to readjust to the current levels of success and their current levels of market power.

Tease.

Mike Patcher, said the 3DS was going to be big and that it would sell like crazy... dont use him as an argument, he is always wrong, use his negation and u will be fine.

Even though this won't be as big as the wii 1/ds, Nintendo is probably still in the best shape, its been selling consoles with a big profit since the beginning. Even if Sony and Microsoft were to beat the wii in sales, it won't be a bigger profit than the Wii, not by a long shot.  They could lose next gen and still have more profit. They aren't selling at a loss I presume. We'll see.

Around the Network

The problem is there is still the old DS and the 3DS avaliable on the market for different prices. consumers are probabily confused with what they should get. i think if the DS was discontinued the 3DS would be doing a lot better because there is obviously still demand for the DS.

and i dont like the DS strategy Nintendo have adopted either - which is to release a new model each year, making your model obsolete. people are probabily a bit annoyed after just having upgraded to a DSi Lite, then having to upgrade to a DS Xl that they must now upgrade to a 3DS - takes the piss - which is why i'm not getting a 3DS.

however i think the Wii is the most successful console not having been manufactured by Sony, so i dont think they have anything to worry about on that front. and the Wii2 is coming at a good time, since the 360 and PS3 will have been out a good degree of time and their age will begin to show by the end of next year imo.

Troll_Whisperer said:

I'm not a Nintendo fan but:

1 . The 3DS is selling on par with the regular DS' launch, with a higher price and outside the holiday season.

The DS was 80% higher than the 3DS in its first nine weeks in Japan.
The DS was 42% higher than the 3DS in its first four weeks in the Americas.

I don't think that is a very fair comparison (holidays vs april), but it is dishonest to say that they are on par.

The EMEAA launch wasn't during the holidays and the 3DS is 4% higher than the DS was in its first 5 weeks.  Though VGC is substantially higher than Nintendo's numbers for weeks two and three.

Yakuzaice said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

I'm not a Nintendo fan but:

1 . The 3DS is selling on par with the regular DS' launch, with a higher price and outside the holiday season.

The DS was 80% higher than the 3DS in its first nine weeks in Japan.
The DS was 42% higher than the 3DS in its first four weeks in the Americas.

I don't think that is a very fair comparison (holidays vs april), but it is dishonest to say that they are on par.

The EMEAA launch wasn't during the holidays and the 3DS is 4% higher than the DS was in its first 5 weeks.  Though VGC is substantially higher than Nintendo's numbers for weeks two and three.

I had the impression the numbers were closer than that, serves me right for not checking. Thank you for that.

Anyway, I stand by my point that the 3DS will be fine. The difference is no that bad in the West, considering the DS was released during xmas. This xmas the 3DS will also get a boost and once they cut the price and release more games it will start selling much better, IMHO.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Squilliam said:

Nintendo profits have just fallen back to earth. I don't think its anything to worry about, we just have to readjust to the current levels of success and their current levels of market power.

Profit problem is rather simple math. Their R&D Costs register in Yen, thier final numbers have to be reported in Yen, but their revenue mostly comes from Dollars and Euros, both on a comparatively weak run against the Yen

If it were NoA spearheading R&D, and NoA making the final profit calls for the company as a whole, the numbers would look rosier. Doubtless there has been a decrease overall, but its severity is overstated

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I believe Wii was also doomed 5 years ago.