By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UnderRated Games

Okay we know the gaming world talks and talks about the Marios, Zeldas, GTAs, MGSs, Halos..... but there is tons of great games, that perhaps go almost unnoticed by the critics or gaming public. Perhaps it go low ratings but it was still tons of fun too much so to miss out on. So what games do count as underrated?

Here are some of mine:

Battle Tanx (N64)  People go on about Goldeneye, Smash Bros. multiplayer, that they might have missed out on this great multiplayer tank game. It had simple fun addictive gameplay with some cool totally underused features, like a missle that once launched you follow and control. You could essiantially fire a missle and fly it around a city for minutes. And there was plenty of multiplayer boards to keep the mayhem going.

Godzilla (Gamecube) Another game with a totally fun multiplayer gameplay. the destructible city environments were totally great fodder for these big monsters to trash and throw around like a playpen. Alot of monster games like Rampage have destroyed the genre(no pun intended) and hence this lovely title got overlooked by many. Check out the sequal coming to the Wii.

Snowboard Kids(N64) When you think snowboarding you think SSX or 1080, so many have neglected this fun little gem. It's simple but colorful world with items, cartoony charachters and catchy little songs for some reason just made this game very enjoyable. 

Return Fire (3DO) Underrated simply as a victim of its platform, but Return Fire was a great game. fun multiplayer boards and single players realtime war strategy game where you'd control tanks, jeeps, helicopters and that sort of thing. But the best part of the game was it's sound track. You'd have all these brilliant classical pieces with powerful choir parts, that gave a dramatic sense of presence like Flight of the Bumblebees, Ride of the Valykries, Dies Irae, and In the Hall of the Mountain King. I'd kill to get another game with that kind of a soundtrack. 

There are more from me but now it's time to give you all a chance so ramble on! Oh and make sure it's an actual underrated game I don't want to see something like Metroid on here!!

Around the Network

How bout Cosmic fantasy 2 for the Turbo Grafx, Underated but damn that was fun, I still play it from time to time.

Wow I love my TurboGraphx, Bonk, Keith Courage, Battle Royale, Bravo man, but I'm not sure I heard of Cosmic Fantasy...I'll have to check that out.

Destiny of an Emperor 1 and 2 (NES) - Based on the Three Kingdoms Historical Chinese Novel of the Han Dynasty. This turn based RPG was very unique in its battles and allowed you to recruit generals to your side as the game went on. Journey to Sicilius (NES) - Futuristic 2D Side scrolling shooter. Pretty much impossible to beat without cheating. Motley Crew Pinball (GENESIS) - Perhaps the one of the most fun pinball game ever made if not the best and yet so few played this title. Made by the old EA this game has a Motley Crew theme including many of their songs in midi format only. NFL Quarterback Club (GENESIS) - While you could play a real football game the minigames included with this title made this a must play.

Great idea

Codename: Viper for the nes

Radiata stories for the PS2

Guitaroo man for the PS2 

Evolution for the dreamcast 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

Wiz'n'Liz...what a load of fun!!!

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

fooflexible said:
Wow I love my TurboGraphx, Bonk, Keith Courage, Battle Royale, Bravo man, but I'm not sure I heard of Cosmic Fantasy...I'll have to check that out.

It's a CD (SCD ?) game so you'll need a TurboDuo or CD attachment, FYI.

There are loads of underrated games.  I'm going to just pick one per system to make a short list:

Atari VCS - Cosmic Ark

NES - The Battle of Olympus (everybody try this!!!)

Genesis - King's Bounty

TurboDuo - New Adventure Island  (chip) / Splash Lake (CD)

SNES - Pocky & Rocky

Saturn - Three Dirty Dwarves

PS1 - er...not much to choose from.

N64 - Goemon's Great Adventure

DC - Jet Grind Radio

PS2 - Adventures of Cookie & Cream

GCN - Smuggler's Run: Warzones

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

To Foolflex- dude apsolutly Battletanx was an amazing game. The 1st and 2nd one really. I loved that game so much. Very underrated.  And Snowboard kids.  Finally someone with some good taste in games haha.

elprincipe said:
fooflexible said:

It's a CD (SCD ?) game so you'll need a TurboDuo or CD attachment, FYI.

There are loads of underrated games. I'm going to just pick one per system to make a short list:

Atari VCS - Cosmic Ark

NES - The Battle of Olympus (everybody try this!!!)

Genesis - King's Bounty

TurboDuo - New Adventure Island (chip) / Splash Lake (CD)

SNES - Pocky & Rocky

Saturn - Three Dirty Dwarves

PS1 - er...not much to choose from.

N64 - Goemon's Great Adventure

DC - Jet Grind Radio

PS2 - Adventures of Cookie & Cream

GCN - Smuggler's Run: Warzones

Nice titles. I loved Goemon on the n64. but I really loved Battle of Olympus, so it's sweet you mentioned that.

And Zucas yeah i loved the second Battletanx too. 

I would have to say Shenmue. It had sales and some cult following but the sequels didn't do to well (the scheduled 3rd game I don't even think was made).  Before I moved I used to go to my neighbors house almost everyday (of course outside activities as well) and play Smash Bros, Power Stones 1&2, Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil:Nemesis,Marvel vs. Capcom 1&2, and of course Shenmue.

Wow, what a game especially at the time it was made. I know they put the second one out on x-box but it was ignored. Really need to get a Dreamcast and play that again.