By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hack could cost Sony $318 per account!?

Good gravy. Just when Sony was having an awesome year, sales were great, BAM! wild hackers have appeared. Sony forgot their Max Repel. I just hope this ins't true, I don't wanna switch to a 360 :(

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Areym said:

Good gravy. Just when Sony was having an awesome year, sales were great, BAM! wild hackers have appeared. Sony forgot their Max Repel. I just hope this ins't true, I don't wanna switch to a 360 :(

Sony's still 1. in EMEAA so don't worry my friend. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to kick Geohoot's hacked ass. Same with annoymous 2 most annyoing bitches in the world.

Sony should charge for psn to cover the damage just like Microsoft does just in case they lose billions the member ship covers the cost.FLAME SUIT ACTIVATE.

irstupid said:
Jereel Hunter said:
irstupid said:

you guys still don't get it.  This per user amount is a bullshit amount that accounts for nothing.  The estimated costs of this situation is roughly 23 billion dollars.

THAT'S IT.  End of story.  Doesn't matter how many are fake accounts or how many of you don't buy anything on the psn.  This 23 billion dollars doesn't get affected by that.  That 318 is just a bs mathematical number they got by taking 23 billion and dividing it by 70 million.  it means nothing.  The only number that matters is 23 billion.

But that 23 billion is clearly nonsense. You're saying this little intrusion is going to cost them all the money the playstation brand has made in 20 years? Bam, gone? Unless every single person who's ever made a PSN account decides they need to take serious legal action, there's no chance of it coming remotely close to that cost.

thats not how legal action works.  one person would win and n oone else would be able to sue.  you can't be sued over the same thing twice.

and you are also missing what these costs include.  thse numbers are mostly guestimates of missing revenue or lost sales.  I mean during this down time, sony could have missed out on getting a few billion in psn sales.  meanwhile they are incuring a few billion more in costs.  Thus what would have been a 3 billion revenue, turns into a 0 billion revenue and 3 billion expense.  a 6 billion dollars cost overall.   and lets not forget stock.  these also estimate a loss in stock value.

is sony going to have to fork oer 23 billion dolalrs?  hell no. 

But even those numbers are grossly inflated. I don't think PSN even brings in a billion annually yet, let alone "a few billion" of lost sales in 8 days. and PSN absolutely can't be incurring a few billion in costs in the same period, otherwise the service would be a money black hole that would bankrupt the company in a matter of months.

I find it odd that while everyone in this thread takes issue with one variable used in reaching this estimate. Nobody seems to have questioned the other applied variable. That being $318 average per malicious act. With a global economy that is climbing out of recession, increased employment, and a willingness by banks to loan. Well it isn't exactly hard to imagine that credit lines have more slack. Further more this average accounts for both organized theft, and petty theft. The truth is the majority of identity theft is chump change. The thefts that clear thousands out of bank accounts, and run up huge debts are the rarity.

In this instance if the invasion did result in a individual or individuals obtaining useable information. What matters isn't how many unique users there actually are. What matters is the intent and caliber of those involved. A fringe group just trying to make a point will not cost Sony much beyond overhauling their system. Which they would have eventually had to do anyway. However if it was a group of organized criminals say the Russian mob. They could very well get the maximum value out of that information. Which means they could cost each victim thousands of dollars.

We just can't say what is a rational or irrational estimate until the damage is done. Yes it could be very light, or it could be simply ungodly. Hard to say with a breach this massive. Beyond that I have no issue with the litigant in the civil suit. He is simply asking for what is basic operating procedure in such situations. Most governments, organizations, and companies offer protection as a matter of coarse. It is simply reasonable to cover losses, and to hire identity protection to ensure against losses. In the end Sony not doing this may have saved them a pretty penny, or it might be what could cause the cost to spiral out of control. Anyway it doesn't make them look good. Hard to see a judge, jury, or mediator not siding with the plaintiff. What is being asked for is entirely reasonable. More to the point Sony should probably try to get an accomodation out there before a government, or governments step in. Which may happen if there was real damage.

Speaking to a EULA I wouldn't hold my breath on that being any real protection. It isn't even necessarily true that such contracts are actually legal. Given that they often mandate things that are patently unlawful. In which case makes them instantly null and void. They are basically barely above shrinkwrap contracts. Only in that they adhere strictly to the law in a few given locations.

Anyway my two cents

Around the Network

2 plus 2 = 4