By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Tagged games:

Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Yes 143 41.81%

No 93 27.19%

Don't Know 34 9.94%

View results plox 72 21.05%

Total:342
slowmo said:

More to the point you wouldn't be having this discussion if it wasn't for Sony's security holes so does it even matter who did it?

yes it does because those same people can go around hacking most security systems in the world.

maybe you dont know but security does not equal invincibility. its just there to stop masses of people hacking. professional hackers will at some point get past any security put in front of them.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
slowmo said:

More to the point you wouldn't be having this discussion if it wasn't for Sony's security holes so does it even matter who did it?

yes it does because those same people can go around hacking most security systems in the world.

maybe you dont know but security does not equal invincibility. its just there to stop masses of people hacking. professional hackers will at some point get past any security put in front of them.

You give way too much credit to the "professional" hackers, they don't always get through.  As for saying it matters, it really doesn't do any good to go around making accusations with zero evidence.  It is more likely that this is the work of an independent who piggy backed on the back of Anon's original attack to probe for holes they could exploit.

slowmo said:

Yes, Lets balme Sony for everything. Its so fun !

Its not like it took 4 years to hack PS3...

scottie said:

I never believed it was the actual group Anonymous, but I know a few did, and a lot believed it was a small number of people of the group Anon acting without the support of the rest.

But stealing user's personal data? That seems very out of character for a group that stopped their DDOS attacks on the basis that the Damage to Sony:Damage to Consumers ratio was too low.

I don't really care whether Anon did it or not but they probably enabled this attack. So, they are responsible for this even if they didn't do this. And Anon is just criminal organisation (similar to mafia) so it isn't suprising that individuals from Anon did something like that. I doubt Anon has no control over any of its members so even if their "leadership" would order them to stop, a lot of them won't do it. If members of the group don't like what "leaders" are suggesting, their orders are worth nothing.

slowmo said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
slowmo said:

You give way too much credit to the "professional" hackers, they don't always get through.  As for saying it matters, it really doesn't do any good to go around making accusations with zero evidence.  It is more likely that this is the work of an independent who piggy backed on the back of Anon's original attack to probe for holes they could exploit.

i never said they dont fail, i said "at some point get past any security put in front of them." and when the attack is concentrated like it is on sony, it happens quicker.

i dont have evidence but my assumption is realistic. I personally dont think an independent would take such a big risk. I also dont think it is being done for the money because they will get tracked down easily.

remember anonymous tried to stop people buying sony products but their protest failed? well just look at all the people trying to build up hate against sony and its security rather than the ones who actually breached it. Its possible it was done to negatively affect sony's PR and thats what anonymous are known for doing in all of their previous attacks.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:

Its possible it was done to negatively affect sony's PR

Sony are doing a fine job of that all by themselves. They threw down the gauntlet when they boasted about their unhackable system. They persecuted the one person who could have become a valuable security consultant. They hesitated to warn, or even tell users about an attack on PSN servers in a timely manner.

The fans are making this fiasco look even worse. Some of the bloodthirsty comments I've read in the past few months (some of which I have parodied, sorry) are genuinely sickening.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

scottie said:

Now, finally, the PM and all the members of parliament get bored due to lack of work and all go base jumping, and get themselves killed.

Well, we can always dream....

fps_d0minat0r said:
slowmo said:

Then why haven't they?

Keep in mind that this all came about because Sony thought client-side security was such a good idea that they didn't bother applying ample security to server-side. It was all an idea to slash costs in order to host a free PSN, and now they're paying the price for it.

It's one thing to say nothing is unhackable. It's another to compare good security to Sony's shitty attempts...

Porcupine_I said:

i remember them saying something along the line of "the strongest attack is yet to come"

That's called monumentally bad timing.

Stealing personal data and billing information doesn't fit with their MO, but then again as a group with no central leadership, any number of members with the group's resources at hand could choose to use them to make potential physical gain rather than just spout rhetoric and be a nuisance for corporations.

Plus they also said they wouldn't attack PSN as they acknowledge this ultimately hurts consumers and more importantly, it kills their image as consumer rights advocates.

Ultimately, no one individual speaks for Anonymous and the reality is, ANY member or anyone claiming to be a member can release a statement or make a video on behalf of everyone, even if they don't speak for everyone in the group.

I like a lot of the replys i'm reading, I'm glad a lot of people are actually viewing the groups past actions and drawing a conclusion.

A few points/corrections on anon
For those of you saying they aren't claiming the attack because it would make the gaming community mad, you seem to forget who exactly you are accusing. This is the group that points and laughs when people rage like this. They simply don't care how you feel.

If it was a few within anon, it was the more skilled individuals who did it without bringing up the plan with the rest of the "hive". Although anon has been internally split before on issues, there was always a fairly large group for the plan. Going against the entire hivemind of anon, means you are not acting on behalf of or part of anon while doing this.

Some of you are also forgetting that these more skilled members are still ducking various police organizations for what they did to H.B. Gary (Highly illegal, but I got a laugh from it), and past actions, so doing another highly illegal thing to such a huge target would only get them caught sooner. While anon doesn't always make the smartest choices, they know when to lay low and watch things burn.

I still blame sony though, such a large hole should have been caught in testing. They also should have been using a 256 bit encryption instead of a 128,  atleast for the credit information.