By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS sales slump below DS - why, and what Ninty can do to fix it

Hephaestos said:

my sister's baby's nany, who's a 50 year old illegal alien from the philipines, saw my 3DS and said "oh it's the new one", and when I offered to show her a picture on it she said "but you need glasses no?".

So the misconception in this example is not that it's a new one (commercials have this pegged), it's that people don't understand that it's glassesless 3D...

and no she's not a gamer, her previous kids in care had the other DS, and she saw this on TV.

I like how you mention the fact that she's a 50 year old illegal alien from the philipines, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of your post or the thread.

OP: Meh, I still think the 3DS will be ok after a pricecut. It is true that some people believe it is just a new model of the regular DS, though. My gf did.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

no games and i think alot of people are looking to get the most out of their money and want to see what the NGP will have to offer if it must cost gamers out the wahzoo

Agreed.  I wasn't really following the 3DS development to close but I'm pretty avid gamer and I come on here often and even I more or less assumed it was a new variant of the DS.  As the PSPGo was to the PSP.  I only realized it was a new platform about a month before it's release.

I'm not flamebaiting but a huge chunk of the DS's buyers are children between 6-14.  I worked electronics thoughout college and I know what it's like to be a parent shopping for video games for their children.  I could easily see parents trying to talk there children down from a 3DS to a DSi or even a DS becasue they assume it's just a fancier trim.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Hephaestos said:

my sister's baby's nany, who's a 50 year old illegal alien from the philipines, saw my 3DS and said "oh it's the new one", and when I offered to show her a picture on it she said "but you need glasses no?".

So the misconception in this example is not that it's a new one (commercials have this pegged), it's that people don't understand that it's glassesless 3D...

and no she's not a gamer, her previous kids in care had the other DS, and she saw this on TV.

I like how you mention the fact that she's a 50 year old illegal alien from the philipines, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of your post or the thread.

OP: Meh, I still think the 3DS will be ok after a pricecut. It is true that some people believe it is just a new model of the regular DS, though. My gf did.

Please don't bite my head off for saying so, but foreign parents in general know way less than non-foreign parents.  For the record, my parents are foreign.  It's not like this across the board, I realize I'm generalizing, but my foreign friends parents and/or my parents foreign friend usually know nothing about video games.  While my friends with canadian background's friends have a rough idea about video games.

Also working in electronics sales I spent a lot more time, a lot more often explaining things like PSPs and DSs to people with foreign parents than non-foreign parents.

EdStation3 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Hephaestos said:

Please don't bite my head off for saying so, but foreign parents in general know way less than non-foreign parents.  For the record, my parents are foreign.  It's not like this across the board, I realize I'm generalizing, but my foreign friends parents and/or my parents foreign friend usually know nothing about video games.  While my friends with canadian background's friends have a rough idea about video games.

Also working in electronics sales I spent a lot more time, a lot more often explaining things like PSPs and DSs to people with foreign parents than non-foreign parents.

Don't worry, I didn't find it offensive, just funny.
I understand that people who migrate abroad have other concerns above videogames, it makes sense.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I'm really not worried ...

People forget that the DS did not sell particularly well initially, and it wasn't until the first hardware revision and the release of several important games that its sales really started to explode. Outside of a "coolness factor" to own one early, there really is no point to owning one yet and that will likely change when some more games come out.

Beyond that, I do think there are probably some people who are waiting for details about the NGP prior to buying a 3DS; and in many cases I think they are holding off on a delusional belief that the NGP will be cost competitive with the 3DS. If you look at how exchange rates have changed around 2/3 to 3/4 of the price increase of the 3DS (relative to the DS) could be explaned by echange rate changes; and the other 1/4 to 1/3 might be a buffer protecting against exchange rate changes in the future. In a couple months I expect that the same people who piss and moan about the 3DS being $250 will be the same people who are claiming that $400 (or more) is justified for the NGP; but the vast majority of people holding out to see what was offered by the NGP will discount it as a purchase at that point.

Isn't that also somewhat a problem though... the 3DS is selling worse then something... that wasn't selling good in the first place.

With the namebranding of the most successful videogame platform ever.  (Or is the PS2 ahead of it.)

EdStation3 said:

Agreed.  I wasn't really following the 3DS development to close but I'm pretty avid gamer and I come on here often and even I more or less assumed it was a new variant of the DS.  As the PSPGo was to the PSP.  I only realized it was a new platform about a month before it's release.

I'm not flamebaiting but a huge chunk of the DS's buyers are children between 6-14.  I worked electronics thoughout college and I know what it's like to be a parent shopping for video games for their children.  I could easily see parents trying to talk there children down from a 3DS to a DSi or even a DS becasue they assume it's just a fancier trim.

You're also forgetting another huge chunk are those parents themselves. The outcome is the same, but it also doesn't ignore a significant demographic for the system.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Troll_Whisperer said:
EdStation3 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Hephaestos said:

I understand that people who migrate abroad have other concerns above videogames, it makes sense.

ah but she's not a parent ^^.

i pointed it out as it's an unlikely profile for a gamer, so unlikely to be informed out of interest. it seemed relevant to me at least :p

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
EdStation3 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Hephaestos said:

ah but she's not a parent ^^.

i pointed it out as it's an unlikely profile for a gamer, so unlikely to be informed out of interest. it seemed relevant to me at least :p

I didn't say she's a parent. I said it's normal that immigrants are less likely to know about videogames.

What's the difference between being a parent or not? Are you trying to confuse me? ;-p

I think the combination of the high price, lack of software and ineffective marketing is what's really holding 3DS back. When it has a stronger library and Nintendo can communicate it's value more effectively with consumers then sales should pick up. A price cut would boost sales also but I doubt Nintendo would do that unless they had to.