By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS sales slump below DS - why, and what Ninty can do to fix it

I personally don't see the 3DS as being anything more than an inbetween system. It's like the Gameboy Advance, release in 2001 and replaced nearly four years later with the DS. The next truely new handheld will carry a different name, this is just an extension of the DS line.

Tease.

Around the Network

I think the name is a bit of a problem.  They came out with so many DS versions that this could be construed as just another one with 3D capabilities.

Plus the games are just not there yet.

For the record, this WON'T be as successful as the DS.  It would be silly to even compare.  Different times.

M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:
Mr.Ashtear said:

The 3DS needs a re-design. It looks too similar to the DS to look "innovative". Price at $200 and REAL SOFTWARE not just ports and remakes. 

How could a redesign change its look? For mass market DSi, DSL and the first DS look the same.

The real software is arriving, pretty much every console have the megatons released months after the launch, look at the DS...

what makes a game a megaton btw? and this is a sincere questions as I am a bit confused on it..didn't Nintendogs sell over 20mil on the DS. Wouldn't that be considered a Megaton? if not why?

Teorically yes, but it has been presented and developed like more of a Nintendogs 1.5 than a real new game. People is not buying it because no one said a good reason for people who already owned one to buy this new game. Think: if I have Nintendogs and liked it very much, why should I buy a new console at launch and a new game which does not offer me anything new? This is the same reason why neither SSFIV is a megaton: you get streetpass but lose in graphics, the userbase for this game is smaller than it could have been if it was a new game.

Many are saying Zelda is the first megaton...I'm quite diffident, it's a remake, it can't be as big as the original Ocarina. I'm more confident smaller system sellers in japan will be RE: Mercenaries, One Piece and hopefully Kid Icarus. The real megatons for this year are Mario Kart, Mario 3d, Animal Crossing and Kingdom Hearts  for Japan IMHO. For the west we'll see, I'm sure Nintendo will try to launch some sort of new thing like they did with brain training, unexpected thing turned out to be the real megatons on Wii and DS.

so in other words, the 3DS needs killer apps rather than a megaton? one that is unique and gives a fresh experience with the device sort of? cuz I see your point with nintendogs and SF. well tbh I haven't even tried out nintendogs so I don't know for sure but I did get to play SF 4 3DS recently, it jsut felt like yet another SF game with 3d as the new addition.

anywho thanks for answering :) it's been bugging me for a while.

and btw is there a KH for 3ds announced? or rumor?

There's already an announced KH, it's called Dream Drop Distance (see, 3D LOL). Yes, the 3DS needs some killer apps, and it'll have them I think, just Nintendo will launch some big brands this year. We will judge better at E3, but right now people is spelling doom too early, since 3DS is selling as well as the DS was at 100$ more: even if there's not a redesign 18 months after its launch, still Nintendo could cut the price once to push it, and Mario Kart or Animal Crossing will do wonders this holiday season. They're expecting 16m for the fiscal year, it's not a lot, it's doable...we need to understand that they also want to push DS, which still gives them money: this week DS 3DS sales are flat against DS last year, which is very important, since this keeps their profits up, waiting for the Wii's sucessor to stop the abnormal investments in R&D and give some real profits.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Buzzi said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Buzzi said:

Teorically yes, but it has been presented and developed like more of a Nintendogs 1.5 than a real new game. People is not buying it because no one said a good reason for people who already owned one to buy this new game. Think: if I have Nintendogs and liked it very much, why should I buy a new console at launch and a new game which does not offer me anything new? This is the same reason why neither SSFIV is a megaton: you get streetpass but lose in graphics, the userbase for this game is smaller than it could have been if it was a new game.

Many are saying Zelda is the first megaton...I'm quite diffident, it's a remake, it can't be as big as the original Ocarina. I'm more confident smaller system sellers in japan will be RE: Mercenaries, One Piece and hopefully Kid Icarus. The real megatons for this year are Mario Kart, Mario 3d, Animal Crossing and Kingdom Hearts  for Japan IMHO. For the west we'll see, I'm sure Nintendo will try to launch some sort of new thing like they did with brain training, unexpected thing turned out to be the real megatons on Wii and DS.

so in other words, the 3DS needs killer apps rather than a megaton? one that is unique and gives a fresh experience with the device sort of? cuz I see your point with nintendogs and SF. well tbh I haven't even tried out nintendogs so I don't know for sure but I did get to play SF 4 3DS recently, it jsut felt like yet another SF game with 3d as the new addition.

anywho thanks for answering :) it's been bugging me for a while.

and btw is there a KH for 3ds announced? or rumor?

There's already an announced KH, it's called Dream Drop Distance (see, 3D LOL). Yes, the 3DS needs some killer apps, and it'll have them I think, just Nintendo will launch some big brands this year. We will judge better at E3, but right now people is spelling doom too early, since 3DS is selling as well as the DS was at 100$ more: even if there's not a redesign 18 months after its launch, still Nintendo could cut the price once to push it, and Mario Kart or Animal Crossing will do wonders this holiday season. They're expecting 16m for the fiscal year, it's not a lot, it's doable...we need to understand that they also want to push DS, which still gives them money: this week DS 3DS sales are flat against DS last year, which is very important, since this keeps their profits up, waiting for the Wii's sucessor to stop the abnormal investments in R&D and give some real profits.

oh LOL! can't belive I forgot about Dream Drop Distance! yea yeah I remember them announcing it..

well E3 and TGS will be helpful in understanding the future lineup I guess.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

am i missing something here, as the Nintendo 3ds is £20 (£179) more than a PSP-3000 (£149) so what is so expensive about that, it not like some of you could not get a job if you want one.

Also the PSP2 does not look that different from the first PSP so will that fail too, by your logic.

Around the Network
digitalnasties said:

am i missing something here, as the Nintendo 3ds is £20 (£179) more than a PSP-3000 (£149) so what is so expensive about that, it not like some of you could not get a job if you want one.

For one, that's a 30 pound difference, not 20.

Two, the vast majority of the real world has jobs, but they also have financial obligations and have to be very careful about spending. Normal people can't just make a decision to buy something, wait a couple weeks, and buy it. Real life is a lot more complicated than that, and as a result, things that are deemed more expensive than they're worth suffer in sales.

SW-5120-1900-6153

If Nintendogs and Brain Training sold DS to the casual market because of it`s content and how it was played, 3DS needs its own kind of games that show people what 3DS is ans so far those don`t exist.
To the core gamer 3DS isn`t still a must buy because the only real important titles for 3DS are a port (SSF4 3D), Ridge Racer (nothing new) and probably Pilotwings and Ghost Recon.

Sales of DS are a proof that people are holding on the purchase of 3DS until games like Zelda, Starfox and Mario Kart come out. Because those games will really be 3DS killer aps for the core gamers.
As for the casual gamer, Nintendo needs to come up with something good and fast.

$250 may have been a high price (I'm not convinced), but Nintendo's taken the plunge - if they change price now, 3DS brand value collapses.

What they really need to do is get software, though. The only game that was ever gonna sell any decent amount was Nintendogs Cats, and it appears that the sequel just isn't stirring up the fanbase. At this point, due to Nintendogs Cats failed to attract any attention, you can basically say that 3DS "has no games" for all practical purposes. Nobody really cares for Street Fighter or Ridge Racer or a couple of unknown first party games.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Maybe the biggest 3DS' problem is DS and its quality, value, huge library and immense success. Just like XP did for Windows, it could take the second gen after it to make most people perceive enough improvements to upgrade.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

uh, it's only been a month since it came to all regions. When more software comes around (and it will) you'll see a significant boost