By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What people blaming Geohotz and the "hackers" seem to be missing...

Gnizmo said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

How can you not be familiar with darwins theory, honestly how many times must you fail before you realize just how dumb you are, and I should of worded it simply, you asked what happened on launch day I answered, why is that so hard for you?

He isn't the one who should brush up on darwin's theory. He actually makes a very good point about it while trying to ignore the implied insult of the post he was responding to.

I really wasn't trying to ignore it.  I just like science... and human evolution is a really interesting topic since it basically has been "unchained" from the usual contraints as we know them.

Ironically this has somehow led to evolution happening "faster", though unchained by the "Survival of the fittest" parameters.

I suppose this does make sense though when you really think about it, because without "Surivial of the fittest" mutations still happen... and nobody gets wiped out for them.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:

WTF people?!? How can ANYONE be defending Sony on this. THEY should have prepared for the worst case scenario but they didn't. This is a COMPLETE FUCKUP on their part.

So to sum it up:

It IS Sony's fault (as well as the jackass who hacked them)

This IS serious.

And there is NO debating those facts.

And I don't wanna hear any bullshit anologies.

So you can make unhackable free service without going bankrupt? And how is this serious, so more spam and phising scams annoy people oh wow it's the end of the world 

Why are you defending them...fucking why?

Because nothing has happend to anyone who had their information taken, they aren't letting cheaters and pirates overtake their system and they don't rip people off, they make good games, and these things happen to even the most secrure things and they are fixing the problem everyway they can, I can forgive their PR department being a little late assuming they knew about it before they told us

badgenome said:
pitzy272 said:
badgenome said:

I've never figured it out, either.

Haha. Do you at least own a ps3? You alllllways make sarcastic comments about Sony. I actually like Sony as a company, but I still can't help but laugh every time you make your comments

Yes. I actually like Sony as a company, too, when they're not being dumb fucks.

Haha fair enough

imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:

WTF people?!? How can ANYONE be defending Sony on this. THEY should have prepared for the worst case scenario but they didn't. This is a COMPLETE FUCKUP on their part.

So to sum it up:

This IS serious.

So you can make unhackable free service without going bankrupt? And how is this serious, so more spam and phising scams annoy people oh wow it's the end of the world 

Because nothing has happend to anyone who had their information taken, they aren't letting cheaters and pirates overtake their system and they don't rip people off, they make good games, and these things happen to even the most secrure things and they are fixing the problem everyway they can, I can forgive their PR department being a little late assuming they knew about it before they told us

But the point is that this is not acceptable by any means...it just isn't and I don't care who the company is.

yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:

So to sum it up:

This IS serious.

But the point is that this is not acceptable by any means...it just isn't and I don't care who the company is.

So it's not acceptable for someone to get hacked? 

Around the Network
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:

So to sum it up:

This IS serious.

Its not acceptable for a company to be so vulnerable that stores info of millions of people.

yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:

So to sum it up:

This IS serious.

Its not acceptable for a company to be so vulnerable that stores info of millions of people.

agreed but they aren't the first to have this problem and they won't be the last.

yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:
imaprettyhotguy said:
yo_john117 said:

So to sum it up:

This IS serious.

So then what do you say to visa and mastercard and all those other companies that got hacked and actually lost CC information, why is Sony being held to a higher standard then them?

M0RZINGER said:

seems to be far less embarrasing than Xbox RROD

OT: Why do fanboys feel the need to create threads to bash their competitors? Do u feel personally affected by the well being of your console of choice? 

As Hatmoza said "You hate Sony, we get it."

I don't know about that one RROD affected a lot less people since the majority of the faulty hardware got sold at the beginning of the 360's lifespan.

BMaker11 said:

A question to those saying that Sony's security is bad or that they were negligent:

Do you know how Sony's security works? How was the hack carried out? Could you have hacked PSN? I mean, Sony just doesn't care about our sensitive information and their security is so weak, right? 

How many of you work in IT and how many of you are just adolescents blabbering whatever you just read on the internet? 

Do I believe that "Sony can do no wrong"? Of course not, but then again, I also don't go around saying things like I know how everything about the topic works. Until someone can tell me how the infrastructure of PSN works and how they (the poster) can hack it, then all of you bashers are just idiots who know nothing. 

Everything electronic in this world is hackable. But you don't see me saying how easy it is to hack high level company's infrastructure because they are so negligent, and *I* just so happen to be smart enough to know how to invade their network. If I was the most intelligent person on this planet, and I could hack everything known to man, I wouldn't blame the company that made the product because I knew how to hack it.

I'm a Systems Analyst, with some ties to the Software Engineering department. This is my 12th year.

Your view of "everything is hackable" is indeed correct. However, the ease of breaching security is related to the amount of encryption placed on the data. You could be the smartest person in the world, but it still comes down to taking pot-shots in the dark when it comes to breaking encryption, and as key bitrates rise, the likelihood of success for one of these breaches becomes exponentially lower.

Sony made a few fundamental mistakes, and I'll point them out:

1. Sony stated that passwords may have been stolen. This in itself is a scary concept, considering a good system never actually stores the password in a text format, rather a hash of a digestable encryption format (complexity level 1 in one direction, but complexity level 2 ^ encryption-bitrate to decode). When the user enters a password, that is then digested, and checked against the stored hash. To say that passwords were taken implies that they have been keeping them in text format.

2. Sony was incredibly defensive over the security integrity with it's PS3 consoles for a reason. The fact of the matter is that they assumed that since they had the client-side locked down, there was no need to enforce a 2nd level of security on the PSN. It was to cut the costs in order to maintain a free service. Why else would they have a zero-tolerance approach to such consoles, even ones that weren't openly abusing the jailbreak for cheating. They neglected a major fundamental taught to even first year engineering students, and that is to never assume a secure system across a communications medium.

3. This hasn't been 100% confirmed, but there is talk that Credit card info was secured using 128bit encryption. This may have been acceptable in the 1990s, but it's 2011. Even Virtual Private Networks are encrypted with at least 256bit (plenty in the 2048bit range). Processing power has climbed to levels that can breach a 128bit encryption using purely brute-force (ie, checking every possible combination of 2^128 within the given time of expiration of the encryption. Once again, might just be a rumor floating around.

Sony is not 100% to blame, of course not. However, some of these obvious oversights does mean they deserve a good portion of the blame.