By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Cafe/3DS and the abandoning of the consumer

Airas said:
Immortal said:

Do you really think core gamers stick around? Something that I really hate the cores for is for their continued betrayal of Nintendo. SNES, N64, GC... they were all core consoles and they had continued declining sales. N64, in particular, did everything that fans wanted, but was subject to an enormous decline. Not saying that casual gamers won't betray Nintendo, but at least they haven't proven themselves to be traitors yet, unlike core gamers.

I hope I'm not the only one who finds this post deeply disturbing.

I can understand why you'd disagree, but it's kinda random to be disturbed by it.

Also, could you please elaborate on your point rather than just posting somewhat offensive one-liners? They just serve to annoy and don't really convey any point. I assure you I'm not dense enough to miss your point completely if you make one.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Immortal said:
Airas said:
Immortal said:

Do you really think core gamers stick around? Something that I really hate the cores for is for their continued betrayal of Nintendo. SNES, N64, GC... they were all core consoles and they had continued declining sales. N64, in particular, did everything that fans wanted, but was subject to an enormous decline. Not saying that casual gamers won't betray Nintendo, but at least they haven't proven themselves to be traitors yet, unlike core gamers.

I hope I'm not the only one who finds this post deeply disturbing.

I can understand why you'd disagree, but it's kinda random to be disturbed by it.

Also, could you please elaborate on your point rather than just posting somewhat offensive one-liners? They just serve to annoy and don't really convey any point. I assure you I'm not dense enough to miss your point completely if you make one.

I wasn't even trying to make a point or be offensive. I was just surprised that you claim to hate a quite numerous group of people and label them as traitors for not buying a damn console. Are those who didn't buy the Virtual Boy traitors too? Granted, that one was a lot of worse that the ones you mentioned, but still.

I'm too old for this gaming shit.

Immortal said:
Play4Fun said:

. You keep on going about how Nintendo should have made more Wii-Fit and more Sports Resorts for the 'casual' market. Alot of these people picked up the Wii for a couple of games and because of its popularity and then left it when the fun died down for them. They got their experience and they weren't interest in anymore. Some others probably got into gaming a bit and started looking for new experiences.

The core market is much more sustainable than the casual market because alot of them don't stick aroung for long.

The core market should be of interest to Nintendo because these are the people who buy many games a year, which is alot of money for gaming companies. That's why I think a big part of their strategy was to turn these new gamers into core gamers and get them more interested in gaming. Since their first console would have been the Wii, they are more likely to stick with Nintendo.

Because most core gamers aren't fanboys (not calling you one). I don't know anything about SNES but PS1 and PS2 were more attractive to core gamers than N64 and GC, especially with their lack of third party support.

GC and N64 had some great quality games but PS1 and PS2 had a more diverse library thanks to third parties.

Core gamers go where most of the games that interest them are.

A Nintendo console with third party support the equivalent of  what Sony and MS get would  be a very attractive console. I hope Nintendo pulls it off with Cafe.

zarx said:

The 
DS is underwhelming because of the price and the fact that Nintendo thought that casual games and clasic games would drive the console. They released Nintendog (casual game key title in the DS's early success) consumers didn't want it they also brought Pilot Wings a successful SNES era game. Short of 2D Mario that is exactly what you want Nintendo to do and yet it failed.

Turns out consumers don't want more of the same. 

And Galaxy did push hardware the week it came out it went up to 458,416 from 281,934 the week before and went up to 670,095 the week after etc that is pushing hardware, where as NSMB Wii only went to 713,415 from 524,453 a smaller relative boost to hardware. Mario Kart Wii on the other hand is the real hardware mover boosting hardware to 710,311 from 314,078, so obviously Nintendo shouldn't be wasting it's resorces on crap that doesn't move hardware like NSMB Wii and instead focus on cart racers as those are what reall drive hardware. And Kart did it in April instead of November so much more impressive.

this.

also axt, you seem to belive that the only way Nintendo will be succesful is be rehashing the same 5 games over and over and over again simply because they sold more than 15 million. these games were super succesful sure, but Nintendo just cant sustain itself on those few games alone.

Airas said:

I wasn't even trying to make a point or be offensive. I was just surprised that you claim to hate a quite numerous group of people and label them as traitors for not buying a damn console. Are those who didn't buy the Virtual Boy traitors too? Granted, that one was a lot of worse that the ones you mentioned, but still.

"Traitors" is a harsh term, admittedly, but it was a direct response to the widespread belief that core gamers stick around more.

I didn't mean to make a judgement on core gamers' personality at all, if you thought of it as such. Looking back, it does actually seem to imply that so I apologize if you were offended.

I only meant "traitors" in the video game market (more or less for the because I couldn't think of a better term), not in real life.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
Immortal said:

Because most core gamers aren't fanboys (not calling you one). I don't know anything about SNES but PS1 and PS2 were more attractive to core gamers than N64 and GC, especially with their lack of third party support.

A Nintendo console with third party support the equivalent of  what Sony and MS get would  be a very attractive console. I hope Nintendo pulls it off with Cafe.

You can call me a fanboy. I take pride in it, xD.

Anyway, how is that any different from casual gamers? They, too, seem to go where most of the games that interest them are. It's rather unfair to say that core gamers stick around whilst casuals do not.

axt113 said:

The reasoning of the cafe and the 3DS can only be understood either one of two ways, either Nintendo is stupid enough to repeat its past mistakes, or the consoles were created with the understanding that they are abandoing the consumer.  There are no other explanations for why Nintendo after seeing massive success with the Wii and DS, would throw those strategies and ideals away for the 3DS and the Cafe and a strategy of decline.

When Nintendo makes a cheap system focusing on gameplay, people complain they're ignoring the core gamer.

When Nintendo makes a system focusing on graphics and the 'core' gamer, people complain they're abandoning their fans and claim they're stupid.

Pick a side people.  You've been whining for 6 years now that Nintendo abandoned you.  And now when they try to appeal to you, you just claim they suck.  PICK A SIDE!  This is the worst hypocracy I've seen on gaming forums since the days when XBOX/PS2 fans claimed GameCube was an inferior console because of its hardware.

Also, I agree with Immortal.  This thread implies that 'core' gamers support their consoles more than 'casual' gamers.  Are you even paying attention?  The biggest argument from core gamers is that the Wii was successful only because of Soccer moms and casual kids.  If that's the case, how does that prove 'core' gamers support their system more?

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Immortal said:
Play4Fun said:
Immortal said:

You can call me a fanboy. I take pride in it, xD.

Anyway, how is that any different from casual gamers? They, too, seem to go where most of the games that interest them are. It's rather unfair to say that core gamers stick around whilst casuals do not.

Well, casual gamers can go to ipads, iphones and such for their casual gaming. Many of them will abandon consoles for those cheaper alternatives.

Play4Fun said:

Well, casual gamers can go to ipads, iphones and such for their casual gaming. Many of them will abandon consoles for those cheaper alternatives.

I don't see your point. Either way, Nintendo loses a customer. There's still no proof that they'll actually stop buying Nintendo products, though, since we don't have any long term numbers for 3DS and Cafe.

When people say that the core sticks around they mean that they are the ones who wiill CONTINUE to buy games on a regualr basis, not matter what the system, i dont get where people turned that into a whole "turned on Ninty thing" and really. N64??? they betrayed N64??? there was a cheaper alternative with MORE games called Playstation you might have heard of it. PS1 ran circles around N64 in the amount of games avalilbe, thats a fact. platformers, 2d and 3D?? PS, action games, PS. fighting games, PS. RfreakingPGs, PS. the only genre i say that N64 had the advantage was FPSs and PS wasnt exactly hurting for those, they just kinda sucked.