By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Music Thread

This is the thread for music discussion and recommendation. Woot.

All of the standard forum music topics are acceptable... List your favorite artists, albums, songs, tell us what you're listening to right now, or go on one of those dime-a-dozen rants about how Britney Spears killed Rock'n'Roll, even though you listen to Nickelback.

I'll kick it off with some random stuff I'm digging right now:

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (title track = love)

Earth, Wind & Fire - That's the Way of the World (jams > ballads)

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi both... What an awesome band... They've found a unique voice...

Louis Jordan - Rock'n'Roll (awesome re-recordings of his hits with Mickey Baker on guitar from about 56-57)

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

My favourite band at the moment is the Weakerthans. I got to see them at a free concert at the Taste of Winnipeg festival in Toronto. Damn they're good.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Nice thread Erik ;)

I tend to migrate in my tastes and genres of music that I listen to from time to time; And, I pretty much listen to everything, with the exception of Polka.

I worked with a bunch of metal-heads who were big on Grindcore and I got burned out on rock a bunch as a result. I've never been a Grindcore fan, but I do like Pantera. So with that said, I've been in a groovy phase of music lately. Lots of funk and r/b. I suppose the passing of James Brown only amplified this.

Currently I've been listening to the following albums -not just a track or two- ( Something I worry will be destroyed for future generations due to mini-transactions )

-David Holmes: "Come Get it, I got it" and "Essential Mix 98"

This cat is awesome. By far he is one of my favorite DJ's of all time. He really knows how to spin a track and even unearth some of the forgotten greats. His soundtracks are usually great as well. I'm running nearly six months with these three CD's on repeat and I still can get enough.

-Robin Thicke: "The Evolution of Robin Thicke" and "Beautiful World."

Heralded by some to be the second coming of Stevie Wonder. -Nuff Said.

Also for working out I’ve been listening to a lot of Prodigy and Chemical Brothers. Now that I think about it though, I would like to toss on some Pennywise...

On a side note: Anyone else think that “Gotta Move” by the Kinks would have been a good song for the Wii commercials? I’ve been noticing it in the Volvo commercials as of late.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

SOAD!!

Around the Network

i've been listening to the beatles lately.

Right now it's Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Oh, also the newly released "That one Night" by Megadeth, a live show in Argentina.

Now Loading... Please Wait!

stof said:
My favourite band at the moment is the Weakerthans. I got to see them at a free concert at the Taste of Winnipeg festival in Toronto. Damn they're good.

The weakerthans are great, which is made all the better given the fact that their singer used to be in propagandhi. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

-Robin Thicke: "The Evolution of Robin Thicke" and "Beautiful World."

Heralded by some to be the second coming of Stevie Wonder. -Nuff Said.

Indeed. With that kind of recommendation, I'll have to check him out.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Hus said:
SOAD!!

second that

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary