By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
qmoney88 said:
noname2200 said:
ssj12 said:

While the new controller sounds cool, doesnt it go against the concept they pushed this generation with getting up and interacting with your games? This sounds like they think their idea sucked and going to back to traditional controller styles for developers and gamers.

If the rumors are true (and contrary to what some   people   here seem to think, they haven't been confirmed yet), then yes, I think that's almost exactly what it means.

Not necessarily, if the new console is backwards compatible then every wii game made that requires users to get up and be active will still be there, they could be essentially combining the two concepts in an attempt to recapture the hardcore gaming segment while also maintaining its current user base.  Brilliant if you ask me.

This

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
qmoney88 said:
noname2200 said:
ssj12 said:

While the new controller sounds cool, doesnt it go against the concept they pushed this generation with getting up and interacting with your games? This sounds like they think their idea sucked and going to back to traditional controller styles for developers and gamers.

If the rumors are true (and contrary to what some   people   here seem to think, they haven't been confirmed yet), then yes, I think that's almost exactly what it means.

Not necessarily, if the new console is backwards compatible then every wii game made that requires users to get up and be active will still be there, they could be essentially combining the two concepts in an attempt to recapture the hardcore gaming segment while also maintaining its current user base.  Brilliant if you ask me.

But I'm extremely skeptical that new games will still use the old controller. No sytem has ever done that, as far as I know, and judging from how lackluster Motion Plus, and even Move, support has been, I have a hard time seeing devs making a concerted effort to make motion games on what will be the old controller.

C'mon man, you and me both know that it doesnt matter if someones done it before, nintendo can and will do anything they want to do.  The more that I think about it, the more sense it makes for nintendo to continue to sport wiimote compatibility as a way to woo current wii owners into upgrading, while also attracting hardcore gamers with its upgraded features and possibly things weve never seen before.  This also makes sense as well since third party devs will be able to make games for both the ps3 move and wii2 or whatever its gonna be called as long as wiimotes are still a priority for nintendo.  Im done speculating though, e3 is less than two months away, I cant wait.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

unless maybe nintendo relized the wii mote was gimmick from the get go lol

ninty_shareholder64 said:

What's up? PS-->PS2-->PS3 compatibility to controllers from the previous gen.

I actually had just this thought in mind when I posted that. Despite the fact that these controllers are nearly carbon copies of one another, you can not use a PS1 controller to play a PS2 game, or a PS2 controller to play a PS3 game.  This is true in spite of the differences between them being minute compared to the difference between the Wiimote and the rumored new controller. If developers aren't willing to utilizie that type of backwards compatibility, why would they permit it here?

More importantly, they've had five years to work with the Wiimote, and yet many of them haven't deigned to do so. Why would they start now? And it's not just the Wiimore: most developers seem wedded to the traditional controller. The upcoming announced games for Move and even Kinect aren't exactly bustling with AAA 3rd party talent! So what would get a developer who loves dual analogues to create a game which uses a secondary-at-best controller, when they have one that's tailored to suit their needs? Shoot, even Wii FPS games now have optional dual-analogue controls, and I'm willing to bet they only use the IR method because Nintendo requires them to do so.

noname2200 said:
qmoney88 said:

Who knows, maybe nintendo wants to continue to support the wiimote and create games for both the more traditional controller (if you can call it that) and the wiimote while creating games that support both.  Im sure this is how they will move forward.

Perhaps, and for what it's worth I hope you're right. I'm just not convinced that's the case.

Me too dude, Im just glad theres hope that backwards compatibility and wiimote compatibility will exist so my current wii library can migrate to the new console.  Heres to hopin.  And thanks for the friend request, gladly accepted.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

they'll more than likely continue motion control. That's part of what made the Wii such a huge success so Nintendo would be foolish to get rid of it.

ninty_shareholder64 said:

Why not? It's a hell of a userbase. What's up? PS-->PS2-->PS3 compatibility to controllers from the previous gen. The Wiimoteplus is good enough for motion gaming. The new console will not be packaged with any controller (or two models, with and without new-controler) , imo, to keep costs down. A Wii owner could use the classic controler or the Wiimoteplus and later buy the costly new controler. There will be casual-motion games, imo, everything else would be dump.

It's a hell of a user base right now, when the Wii is the dominant console and has historically sold the most console, yet we still don't get many significant motion controlled games, and especially not Motion Plus games. This isn't going to change by movng on to a new console where the Wii remote is not the primary controller.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

PSwii60 said:

Not only does the whole concept swayed them away from the Wii's blueprint of success (Blue Ocean strategy: Family Friendly, Simplicity, Attractive price), the controller is too extreme even for Nintendo
In addition, I believe Nintendo is backing themselves up into a corner because in the long run, they're merging the HANDHELD Consoles and HOME Consoles

They could've easily updated the Wii just as Sony and MS did with their systems or even Nintendo themselves with DS to DSi
They still could've done a price cut, colors, bundles, Player's Choice, and/or even released the Vitality Sensor

How do you know all of this?

Then also, Wii is already dead, there was no way to revitalize it. Third parties simply moved away from it. Colors, bundles, price cuts, cheaper games, etc. all done before and sales kept going down. People need to accept the truth and just move on.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

qmoney88 said:

C'mon man, you and me both know that it doesnt matter if someones done it before, nintendo can and will do anything they want to do.  The more that I think about it, the more sense it makes for nintendo to continue to sport wiimote compatibility as a way to woo current wii owners into upgrading, while also attracting hardcore gamers with its upgraded features and possibly things weve never seen before. 

Perhaps, but think about this: Nintendo's been releasing peripherals for its consoles since the NES. Can you name a single peripheral which Nintendo has required to play more than a half-dozen games? This trend is exacerbated with the Wii: at one point the Balance Board almost outsold the PS3, yet the only Nintendo games that require it are Wii Fit and its sequel. The total number of Motion-Plus-required Nintendo games sits at three (Resort, Skyward, Play Motion).

Nintendo historically creates multiple controllers, but it rarely bothers to support any of them in depth. How then are they going to juggle the Wiimote, and the new controller, and whatever extra controllers they come out with?

i think they would allow the wii mote controller for it  but wii 2 games wont focus on the motion control