By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Falling dollar effects?

Would the falling US dollar have any relative effects on sales?

I see it positvely effecting Microsoft in relation to Japan and 'Others', any ideas?

Around the Network

Probabaly won't affect gaming sales, since companies don't adjust prices to changes in the currency rates, it may affect company profits however

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Probably not. If it would have, it would have happened already.

will we ever see fair prices in countries other than the USA or japan. The aussie dollar is roughly 88c to one $american. why are we paying $100 dollars to buy a game. if the prices were fair americans would be paying $88 dollars for their games. nowhere near the cost they are paying.

sure companies need to charge more for smaller selling countries to make profit but the difference is to much imo

I want wii fit and I want it now

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Probabaly won't affect gaming sales, since companies don't adjust prices to changes in the currency rates, it may affect company profits however

On the contrary, prices have noticably fallen here in Canada as our currency has risen substantially against the USD. I see it in DVDs, too. Stock which came in months ago is priced 10-20% higher than stock which has come out in the last month or so.

Edit: Canada may be a bit of a special circumstance, since without the price drops, people would often buy some American Pesos and get better value with some cross-border shopping.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

yes the week dollar helps exporters, and since Sony and Nintendo are importers it hurts them, however, The yen has been weak also so the comparitively it is not as bad.

Others is different, in Euro and Pounds regions everyone is able to offer their console at a lower price.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:

Others is different, in Euro and Pounds regions everyone is able to offer their console at a lower price.

They maybe able but they are not doing it :P

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad

^yes, that means right now EVERYONE is more profitable in others than they would have been.

In the old days before free trade nations would have leveled the playing field with tariff so other countries would not come in and take all the nationals sales. (US did this with Japan autos in the 80's)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.