By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anonymous Explains why they hacked Ps3. April 21/22 2011

Wagram said:
Xenostar said:
ssj12 said:
Wagram said:
SmokedHostage said:

I hope they keep the PSN down for quite some time.

Is it so wrong to be wanting to see Sony burn?

So you want the other 49.5M people with PS3s to suffer too? Anonymous is a bunch of jackasses.

I'm not mad at Sony and i'll be sure to set my friends straight if they think this is Sonys fault.

Its entirely Sony's fault.

If ssj12 is a writer for this website as it suggests under his avatar, i hope he gets fired.

Is it so wrong to be wanting to see ssj12 burn?

Nope.

How is it wrong of me to state my opinion?

For one, Sony's servers should be able to handle a whole lot more than this. Why they do not have servers that even match amazon's server strength I have no freaking idea.

Two, Sony took away a feature people cared about. Some do not have the money or any other means to protest. This is their way.

Three, Sony has already been ddosed before, why the hell didn't they upgrade their servers after last time?

Four, Anonymous already declared innocence. The video is very obvious this video is a fake as typically they write before they speak. http://anonnews.org/uploads/notus.png?do-not-hotlink,-hotlinking-attempts-will-be-blocked,-point-to-the-press-release-instead

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
ssj12 said:
Kamiyama said:

So they're the reason for the new systems?  Amazing!!!!!! So anonymous is the reason we're getting PS4,Xbox 720 and the Wii2? Wow Anonymous is perfect! Ok so if i mess around with my car i can make a jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks ssj12! 

truthfully, I see no issue with that, if you can make yourself a flying jet car all the power to you. If that is what you dream of doing, no one should be able to stop you, only you can stop you. Follow your goal till the end.

I'm going to go make copies of that car key and teach people how to do it, and I'll take the credit for it.

would be kind of worthless as each vehicle would have a separate key specially sliced to fit only one lock/ignition combo. you would only be able to get into one car.

Sure its just one car but, everything inside it as well is a nice bonus. think of it as software that can be copied inside the hardware.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
richardhutnik said:
9009pc said:

ok lets look at both sides.

sony's side
edit here it is:http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/05/08/neas-interview-with-sir-howard-stringer-a-knight-in-sony-armor/

If they destroy this enclosed ecosystem and get this console to be left wide open and sony may no longer get the support for the games that they need and as a result make less at lower quality and sony would have little point to support the console other than sell hardware. then I will probably give up on gaming as my main hobby. that might actually be a good thing, I could get on with some work.

I like open systems too they help people come up with new Ideas but some Ideas need to be protected so that they flourish that is why patent and copyright laws exist. imo you need a balance between closed and open to get the best results and that what most company's even sony aim for but anon seems to be all for open with no balance.

The big deal angle early on with the PS3 was that it was supposed to be more open than the XBox.  You could surf the Net, install Linux and do a bunch of neat things that you couldn't on the Microsoft or Nintendo offering.  Shoot, you could also use your own harddrives if you like.  It was to be open.  Well, I guess things changed when Sony began to lose to Microsoft.  So, with Linux getting pulled, people who bought in early felt Sony changed the rules on them.  Does Sony have the right to change the rules?  I would say that they do.  But I would also expect that the community could choose to balk at it, if they want to also.

I agree I remember telling a friend that the ps3 was more open than the xbox 360, it still has a web browser so it kind of still is. my paragraph after that, which tried to be against sony basically says I thought what they did was wrong. even if they where allowed to do it. I still dont want the ecosystem destroyed over this if I wanted a computer I would get one not try and ruin the special environment that is the playstation ecosystem. 

"if you bought your ps3 for linux don't update your firmware past the update were it removes it. yeah that is not fair maybe sony should have give them some kind of compensation for there lose but they weren't obligated too and had every right to do so but morally it was wrong."

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

ssj12 said:
Xenostar said:
ssj12 said:
Wagram said:
SmokedHostage said:

So you want the other 49.5M people with PS3s to suffer too? Anonymous is a bunch of jackasses.

I'm not mad at Sony and i'll be sure to set my friends straight if they think this is Sonys fault.

If ssj12 is a writer for this website as it suggests under his avatar, i hope he gets fired.

Is it wrong for me to have my own opinions?

edit:

why don't you look at a realistic picture here. Sony is basically saying you do not really control your console, and if you do mess with it and tell others about it, you will be sued. This completely goes against the basics of freedom of information. Information is supposed to be free, and what the USA's founding fathers wanted. Copyright laws go completely against what this country was founded for.

I was also just sharing my opinion too, having anti sony opinion as a writer for a gaming website could easily badly effect the website, for example if sony decided to stop sending VGChartz review code in case it ended up in your hands. Presumably as an employee of VGChartz you should consider how your actions will affect the company.

Also if you think copyright law goes against what your country was founded for lobby your goverment dont blame a company that is working within your countrys laws, and also remember that PSN being down is a world wide problem what your fore fathers wanted means squat to most people.

Id say 99% of people bought a PS3 to play games on and being denied access to that content goes against people consumer rights a hell of alot more than removing a feature that very few people used, besdies trying to fix a wrong with an even bigger wrong is plain stupid. 

ssj12 said:
Wagram said:
Xenostar said:
ssj12 said:
Wagram said:
SmokedHostage said:

Nope.

How is it wrong of me to state my opinion?

For one, Sony's servers should be able to handle a whole lot more than this. Why they do not have servers that even match amazon's server strength I have no freaking idea.

Two, Sony took away a feature people cared about. Some do not have the money or any other means to protest. This is their way.

Three, Sony has already been ddosed before, why the hell didn't they upgrade their servers after last time?

Four, Anonymous already declared innocence. The video is very obvious this video is a fake as typically they write before they speak. http://anonnews.org/uploads/notus.png?do-not-hotlink,-hotlinking-attempts-will-be-blocked,-point-to-the-press-release-instead

1. Sony shut down their servers because of a breach, not because it was being overloaded or something, they decided to shut it down to protect the service. It might have been a CC breach or something and they decided that it wasn't worth the risk of keeping the network up, especially if it meant that plenty of PSN users could lose their CC info or have something else happen.

2. Sony took away a feature because it became a threat to their business plan and their consumer base, Geohotz found an exploit, it may have been in it's early stages, but he did it and they had a reason to retaliate. Also, just because Sony took a feature away from one group of people, that doesn't give that group the right to take away the PSN service from millions of gamers.

3. This breach isn't related to a DDOS attack, it's something else and they are now restructuring the service to stop these attacks from happening.

4.  Weird, didn't you say a couple of threads ago that generalising Anon was wrong? That they are all individuals and that they all follow their own guidelines and shouldn't be all lumped together. AnonOps could be lying, they are scumbags after all and it's not like they haven't attacked the service before, it could also be a different group of Anon members and they've decided to do things their own way or it could be another random group of hackers, who'd like build up some practice, make some quick money by stealing CC info or maybe just do it for the lols.

It's also wrong for you to state such a one sided opinion on a site that's filled with members that don't follow your extreme agendas. I'm not going to read a PS3 (or hell, a console game) review when the writer has such an extreme bias, how can I as a reader trust the articles being written up by someone who can't seem to control himself when it comes to picking sides? It'd be like trusting Nsanity to write Xbox 360 reviews or trusting Leo-J to writing PS3 reviews, if you were to swap them around, it'd be an even bigger mess. 

I also wouldn't be able to read an article on a games site from a writer who is so anti-consumer, you seem to hate consumers so much, that your willing to support hurting them, just so you can hack stuff (which your allowed to do by the way, Sony doesn't have a problem with people who mod their console, only people that use their service while having a modded console).

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

1. Sony shut down their servers because of a breach, not because it was being overloaded or something, they decided to shut it down to protect the service. It might have been a CC breach or something and they decided that it wasn't worth the risk of keeping the network up, especially if it meant that plenty of PSN users could lose their CC info or have something else happen.

2. Sony took away a feature because it became a threat to their business plan and their consumer base, Geohotz found an exploit, it may have been in it's early stages, but he did it and they had a reason to retaliate. Also, just because Sony took a feature away from one group of people, that doesn't give that group the right to take away the PSN service from millions of gamers.

3. This breach isn't related to a DDOS attack, it's something else and they are now restructuring the service to stop these attacks from happening.

4.  Weird, didn't you say a couple of threads ago that generalising Anon was wrong? That they are all individuals and that they all follow their own guidelines and shouldn't be all lumped together. AnonOps could be lying, they are scumbags after all and it's not like they haven't attacked the service before, it could also be a different group of Anon members and they've decided to do things their own way or it could be another random group of hackers, who'd like build up some practice, make some quick money by stealing CC info or maybe just do it for the lols.

It's also wrong for you to state such a one sided opinion on a site that's filled with members that don't follow your extreme agendas. I'm not going to read a PS3 (or hell, a console game) review when the writer has such an extreme bias, how can I as a reader trust the articles being written up by someone who can't seem to control himself when it comes to picking sides? It'd be like trusting Nsanity to write Xbox 360 reviews or trusting Leo-J to writing PS3 reviews, if you were to swap them around, it'd be an even bigger mess. 

I also wouldn't be able to read an article on a games site from a writer who is so anti-consumer, you seem to hate consumers so much, that your willing to support hurting them, just so you can hack stuff (which your allowed to do by the way, Sony doesn't have a problem with people who mod their console, only people that use their service while having a modded console).

That's terrible, as a writer he should get to write whatever the hell he wants.  I don't want people kow-towing to the powers that be just because their opinions run contrary to what the big company wants.  If you want to read propaganda go to a pro-Sony site somewhere else.  Trying to silence reviewers with threats is some real nazi bullshit.

Frankly, it's Sony's fault for 1 - taking away OtherOS and suing Geohot; reverse engineering has always withstood legal challenge.  It's not his fault it leads to piracy, that's on the others.  Secondly, the reason PSN is down is because they obviously didn't secure it well enough.  If Sony didn't piss of Anon this might not have happened, or it might have happened anyways, nobody knows if they are involved or not.

youarebadatgames said:
Doobie_wop said:

That's terrible, as a writer he should get to write whatever the hell he wants.  I don't want people kow-towing to the powers that be just because their opinions run contrary to what the big company wants.  If you want to read propaganda go to a pro-Sony site somewhere else.  Trying to silence reviewers with threats is some real nazi bullshit.

Frankly, it's Sony's fault for 1 - taking away OtherOS and suing Geohot; reverse engineering has always withstood legal challenge.  It's not his fault it leads to piracy, that's on the others.  Secondly, the reason PSN is down is because they obviously didn't secure it well enough.  If Sony didn't piss of Anon this might not have happened, or it might have happened anyways, nobody knows if they are involved or not.

As a writer for a gaming site that presents itself as a legitimate gaming news source, it's wrong to post your extremely biased opinions as facts in the hopes of convincing people to agree with your cause. This isn't a blog, it's a site that presents factual data on sales, gaming news and reviews. I can't trust this site if it means that every writer could alter any news or reviews to fit their agenda, it'd be like getting a Wii exclusive review from a Xbox 360 site and expecting it to be completely neuteral.

I never gave any threats and I doubt Sony gives two shits about VGChartz, this is about the readers and the sites image.

I hate repeating myself, but..

1. Even if Sony is in the wrong, the millions of consumers who use their service are baring the brunt of the attack and they will continue to be harmed, so long as these hackers stick to their selfish desires over the greater good for the overwhelming majority. I also mentioned that Sony don't have a problem with you modding your console, just don't use their services with your modded console and you should be fine. 

2. I wouldn't blame a man being stabbed for not  being able to defend himself in a robbery, Sony had a breach, the whole service didn't collapse under the sheer magnitude of the hackers genius, they barely got through and because Sony didn't want to take any risks, they shut down the service for restructering. Sony shouldn't be faulted for this, when it's clearly the fault of the hackers your defending. What the hackers are doing is illegal, they shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

3. I didn't bring Anon into this, the other poster did, I even mentioned that it may be hackers outside of Anon, but as many of Anons defenders have said, they aren't a single entity, they are a group of individuals and their relationship with PSN isn't a very good one, it's perfectly understandable that a few of them may have caused the breach. 

In the end, I still see posters on a gaming site defending people that are willing to hurt gamers, just so they can fulfill their own selfish needs. 

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Lafiel said:
Mr Khan said:

Sony messed with consumers' rights, and now faces the consequences. I can't condone this one because it is illegal, but it's a natural consequence to Sony's bullying

Anon messes with consumer's rights now, hopefully they will face the consequences.

Anon's a wayward force. They're going to inconvenience someone, and it might as well partially target the group that is fundamentally in the wrong here

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Uh someone took the same announcement made a few weeks ago about the DDoS attack on the Sony websites and not the PSN... someone just retrofitted the video with a new title to make it seem like they're talking about this recent downtime, if you want the official word from that group here it is.

And with that I'm locking this thread cause it's just going to cause more confusion.

~locking~

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000