By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anonymous Explains why they hacked Ps3. April 21/22 2011

NoCtiS_NoX said:
pitzy272 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

read this on gaf and credit to: brucewaynegretzky

And  think he have great points.

Ok reading this thread is making my head explode. It's particularly painful because I'm studying for a copyright final right now. People are sitting here screaming "consumer rights" at the top of their lungs. Sony was exercising part of their copyright over the PS3 OS. The point here is NOT that Sony "owns" your PS3. The point is that as the "authors" of the system they are entitled to specific rights. The purpose of these rights is to create a system where people are incentivized to create new things. If people were allowed to create copies, hack their systems, etc. it would not be worth it for companies like Sony or Microsoft to create new systems because piracy would steal from their profits. In this particular case the right Sony was exercising was the right to prevent people from circumventing their security measures in order to allow people to create unlawful copies. Sony does not claim to "own" any part of your PS3. They do however, have certain rights in dictating how you use it. Artists have some similar rights over their works, even after they've been sold. There are certain uses protected, but you are NOT allowed to distribute the types of things GeoHot did. You can't circumvent security measures. It's an economic incentive. Another software example: If you're a small game developer why would you ever create a PC game with no DRM? The reason is because it'll be copied in 2 seconds and you would never make a dime. This is why the security measures are protected. So go ahead, keep playing with your systems. The point here is that Sony can prevent certain uses in order to maintain a system where it makes sense for them to make new consoles.

Thank the Lord for this. Beautifully stated sir.

It's not me who wrote this. I won't take any credit from this.

@ SSJ 

Innovation?! Where is the innovation PSN being down for days?

Copyright to be thrown out!? That's just silly Then what's the point of becoming a writer, a novelist, a developer of games and etc. if anyone can just legally distribute anything and copy anything? 

The PSN really has nothing to do with this at all. It is being used as a symbol, thats all.

As for copywrong,

http://www.salon.com/technology/feature/2001/08/31/dmca_report

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/copywrong/Content?oid=1190873

http://www.likelihoodofconfusion.com/copywrong/

http://reason.com/archives/2001/07/01/copywrong

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.03/1.3_stallman.copyright.html

hopefully these will educate you a bit on whats copywrong with copyright.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:
pitzy272 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

read this on gaf and credit to: brucewaynegretzky

And  think he have great points.

Ok reading this thread is making my head explode. It's particularly painful because I'm studying for a copyright final right now. People are sitting here screaming "consumer rights" at the top of their lungs. Sony was exercising part of their copyright over the PS3 OS. The point here is NOT that Sony "owns" your PS3. The point is that as the "authors" of the system they are entitled to specific rights. The purpose of these rights is to create a system where people are incentivized to create new things. If people were allowed to create copies, hack their systems, etc. it would not be worth it for companies like Sony or Microsoft to create new systems because piracy would steal from their profits. In this particular case the right Sony was exercising was the right to prevent people from circumventing their security measures in order to allow people to create unlawful copies. Sony does not claim to "own" any part of your PS3. They do however, have certain rights in dictating how you use it. Artists have some similar rights over their works, even after they've been sold. There are certain uses protected, but you are NOT allowed to distribute the types of things GeoHot did. You can't circumvent security measures. It's an economic incentive. Another software example: If you're a small game developer why would you ever create a PC game with no DRM? The reason is because it'll be copied in 2 seconds and you would never make a dime. This is why the security measures are protected. So go ahead, keep playing with your systems. The point here is that Sony can prevent certain uses in order to maintain a system where it makes sense for them to make new consoles.

Thank the Lord for this. Beautifully stated sir.

It's not me who wrote this. I won't take any credit from this.

@ SSJ 

Innovation?! Where is the innovation PSN being down for days?

Copyright to be thrown out!? That's just silly Then what's the point of becoming a writer, a novelist, a developer of games and etc. if anyone can just legally distribute anything and copy anything? 

Oh. Yeah my bad. But irregardless, the important thing is that I agree with it.

Sony should put Linux back on the PS3 if its going to help stop Annon from hacking them for the rest of there life.  Would be a step in the right direction. 

Annon can hack into the bank of America for god sake.  PSN could be down every other day if all there more talented hard core hackers really wanted. I think Sony should show a little good faith by making the first step  towards peace.

pitzy272 said:
Hellstrom said:

I personaly don't care what they do to sony, never liked the company and my PS3 YLOD'ed i won't be recieving my new one i ordered till the beginning of may so PSN being down those days didn't effect me i was on Steam/Live ahahaha!

Wow that's selfish? And if you never liked Sony then why'd you order another ps3?

Dude, some of us don't have an allegiance with corporations as i dislike Microsoft just as much but the fact of the matter is they are the only two offering consoles to my prefference. I care nothing for the corporation, if they have a decent product i will buy it. If Nintendo next gen released a console that just mopped the floor with the next gen Sony & Microsoft product guess who's console i'd buy? 

Besides i'm not selling all my games for half price to some store, and there are some games i still want to check out, has nothing to do with Sony really, just some of those devs just happen to be making those games exclusively for Sony which is all that really matters right? As soon as sony were to lose some of those devs i'd ditch em as easy as any other corporation.

Galaki said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Galaki said:

Didn't they deny the attack?

yes.

Why are people so mad at them if they didn't do it? LOL

Yeah its confusing me as well....maybe more people should have watched the video in the OP.

Around the Network
Xbbjf9s said:
Galaki said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Galaki said:

yes.

I have no idea lol.

Haha, there's 2 completely seperate conversations in this thread. If only people would actually read this before shouting out 'death to Anon'

ssj12 said:
Kamiyama said:

So they're the reason for the new systems?  Amazing!!!!!! So anonymous is the reason we're getting PS4,Xbox 720 and the Wii2? Wow Anonymous is perfect! Ok so if i mess around with my car i can make a jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks ssj12! 

truthfully, I see no issue with that, if you can make yourself a flying jet car all the power to you. If that is what you dream of doing, no one should be able to stop you, only you can stop you. Follow your goal till the end.

I'm going to go make copies of that car key and teach people how to do it, and I'll take the credit for it.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
scottie said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Galaki said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Galaki said:

yes.

I have no idea lol.

Haha, there's 2 completely seperate conversations in this thread. If only people would actually read this before shouting out 'death to Anon'

They having fun being part of a mob I guess...

Former something....

deskpro2k3 said:
ssj12 said:
Kamiyama said:

So they're the reason for the new systems?  Amazing!!!!!! So anonymous is the reason we're getting PS4,Xbox 720 and the Wii2? Wow Anonymous is perfect! Ok so if i mess around with my car i can make a jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks ssj12! 

truthfully, I see no issue with that, if you can make yourself a flying jet car all the power to you. If that is what you dream of doing, no one should be able to stop you, only you can stop you. Follow your goal till the end.

I'm going to go make copies of that car key and teach people how to do it, and I'll take the credit for it.

would be kind of worthless as each vehicle would have a separate key specially sliced to fit only one lock/ignition combo. you would only be able to get into one car.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I think this is appropriate for this thread