By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fallout: New Vegas Worth it?

Hey guys, ive been thinking of buying this game for a while. I havent played a fallout game before, but i am into rpg's somewhat. So is New Vegas worth it for 20 bucks at gamestop or should i save the money instead?

Around the Network

What have you got to lose? You can always sell it back and you're out for no more than a weekly rental.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

LilNjGanGsta said:

Hey guys, ive been thinking of buying this game for a while. I havent played a fallout game before, but i am into rpg's somewhat. So is New Vegas worth it for 20 bucks at gamestop or should i save the money instead?

IMO, Fallout 3 was superior in every way, but if you are intent on buying Fallout: New Vegas instead of Fallout 3, then I would say yes, that it is worth $20.

Fallout 3 is better though...(and game of the year edition might be just as cheap).

I just want something that will hold my attention for a while, and the game of the year edition and new vegas are the same prices.

I would get New Vegas. The main story is much better - overal i did find it an improvement over Fallout 3.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

I honestly liked New vegas more than F3..

No, get fallout goty edition and then get new vegas if you like it.

Fallout 3 is a bit better, but both are easily worth $100 each, so $20 is a steal.

I liked the main story and decisions in New Vegas better then in Fallout 3. 3 was more stable though and had better sidequests.

Anyway 20 bucks is a steal. Play one and if you like it play the other one too. The order doesn't matter.

TRios_Zen said:
LilNjGanGsta said:

IMO, Fallout 3 was superior in every way, but if you are intent on buying Fallout: New Vegas instead of Fallout 3, then I would say yes, that it is worth $20.

Fallout 3 is better though...(and game of the year edition might be just as cheap).

It depends on how you look at things.

If you are a Fallout fan, you very well might hate Fallout 3 and love New Vegas. I played Fallout 1 & 2, and Fallout 3 has no business being called a Fallout game. It's more of a generic Wasteland (think Book of Eli) with some SCIENCE! and Mad Max shit thrown in there for good measure. Still a great game, but it really is "Oblivion with Guns" and more for Bethesda fans than Fallout fans.

Fallout New Vegas is more of a real Fallout game, and more of a real RPG as well.

Fallout 3 has better graphics, and it isn't as glitchy but it suffers in other areas.

New Vegas has better companions, voice acting, dialogue options, moral choices (not always black & white, or good & evil), faction system that seperates Karma from Reputation. More balanced leveling sytem with less perks.

New Vegas also has better enemy placement, forcing you to avoid certain areas until you're more powerful. It has better Armor, and more clothing  and armor in general.

You also need all the expansions in F3 to even come close to matching the variety Weapons that you get in New Vegas.

Overall, they are both awesome. Fallout 3 is simpler and easier to get into. New Vegas is a little harder, more complicated, and better in many ways.