By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ZOMG PS3 Passes 8 Million!!!

tombi123 said:
@kirby oh ok.

Does anyone else think it will reach 9M?

i dont think it will reach 9 million because after this week the sales slow down

Around the Network
Sorair said:

Clearly the Wii isn't using or going after a HD format or its not even HD 1080p....So thats why I'm comparing the 360 and PS3...

so just because it isnt HD it isnt competing against them

endurance said:
Sorair said:

Clearly the Wii isn't using or going after a HD format or its not even HD 1080p....So thats why I'm comparing the 360 and PS3...

I just don't in my opinion put the Wii in the league of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

ps3 probably will get at around 8.75-9.00 million

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Sorair said:
endurance said:
Sorair said:

look at the homepage...

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I'm not as impressed with the fact that the PS3 passed the 8m mark as I am at how well it sold in Others this past week. It sold > 100k over 360, which is a sizable percentage considering the numbers.

I have to admit that I was skeptical about the PS3's survival even by late fall, but I believe it's reaching a critical mass that will allow it to do well long term, even if it doesn't dominate (which I think is unlikely considering how few exclusives the PS3 has compared to what the PS2 had, and the Wii seems to have captured the hearts of the casual gamers). My guess is the price cuts and improving games library is largely the cause. If PS3 does well in NA this week (I think the Japanese market just doesn't provide enough sales, percentage wise, to really make or break a console anymore), and the software library keeps growing at a good pace (avoiding chronic delays for the big titles), then I would say that PS3 is here for the long haul.

Personally I think this is a great thing... a 3 horse race is usually more effective in terms of keeping companies competitive than a 2 horse race. Prices should keep falling on the 360 over the next 12-18 months, and we might even see a Wii price drop next year if PS3 sales keep up. Yes, it's Christmas, etc., but if I was a games publisher I would be salivating at the sales prospects on that platform, even if the PS3 sales drop dramatically during the 1st and 2nd quarters... good installed base usually means solid software sales.

Hats off to Sony. They didn't zoom out of the gate, but they seem to be doing well now. Yeah, I doubt PS3 will ever reach PS2 levels considering the lack of BC on some of their boxes and the very high initial price, but I don't think the platform is in danger of going away.

And before someone calls me a Sony fanboy, I own a Wii and a 360 and have no intention of buying a PS3.

endurance said:
Sorair said:

I wouldn't say just HD, but the fact that both PS3 and 360 are media hubs while the Wii isn't, then there is the fact that the Wii targets the causal market while both the PS3 and 360 target the more traditinal gamers as well tecc/movie buffs, it'll be like comparing apples and oranges, yeah their fruit but different type of fruits.

Well Im impressed, sony is doing great.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

They are clearly competing..

The difference is that the Wii is solely a gaming console while the other two are multimedia devices.

Sorair said:
endurance said:
Sorair said:

Because its winning?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)