By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the best Hack n Slash game this gen.

What is the best Hack n Slash game this gen.

Castlevania : Lord Of Shadows 21 5.87%

God Of War 3 230 64.25%

Bayonetta 76 21.23%

Dantes Inferno 6 1.68%

Ninja Gaiden 2 21 5.87%

Ninja Blade 3 0.84%

Total:357

God of war 3. Then Castlevania :)

Around the Network

Ninja blade is equvalent of trololol and I just want to see results choices? :)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

bayonetta IMO

God of war 3 and Castle vania for me.

Best game: God of War 3

Best combat: Ninja Gaiden 2

Ninja Gaiden has a better combat system, but I just can't ignore its awful story. Same goes for Bayonetta although I don't like its gameplay as much. Its difficult to say which has a worse story: Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden 2. At least Ninja Gaiden had me laughing at its ridiculousness. Bayonetta's story is just forgettable.

Around the Network

The best overall expirience for me was God of War 3. I will point out that despite being the overall best exprience around, God of War 3 has been overshadowed in every aspect by other games with the exception of Cinematic atmosphere. It's just that those other game while shinning in one particular area simply didn't deliver the overall package that God of War 3 brought to the table for me.

Ninja Gaiden 2, the only hack'n'slash game with the exception of maybe Darksiders that I've actually played long enough to make a decision.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Damn Go GOW3!!!

That was my pick too.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

I enjoyed Bayonetta the most.

In order of the games I've played:

1.  God of War 3:  didn't play as well as Bayonetta but it had a level of graphical polish, good story, and good enough gameplay.  The sum of its parts are what put it over the edge.

2.  Bayonetta:  I love the character, I love the game's personality, and I LOVE the gameplay.  It's the best playing game of the genre.  The incoherent story and the awesome looking but personality free enemies kick this game out of the top spot.

3.  Ninja Gaiden 2:  Great graphics and gameplay but its missing something.  Ryu is a bland leading man and the story is, once again, nothing special.  It just comes down to personal preference.

4.  Ninja Blade:  Apparently, nonsensical stories are par for the course.  The combat isn't quite on NG2's level but the game sports some awesome moments and some serious graphical power.  It just can't hang with the big boys.

5.  Devil May Cry 4:  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  The former king of the genre is hampered by repitition, a hard to follow level layout, and uninspired gameplay and graphics.  Probably my biggest disappointment.  Still a good game but nowhere near the level that DMC 1 and 3 were in their day.  It seems that the competition has caught up with them.

6.  Heavenly Sword:  A great game and a showcase of of the PS3's power during its launch window.  The story is top notch and the graphics are still good.  It just feels like more of a button masher than any of the other games on this list.  I still play it from time to time, due to the story and the graphics, though.

7.  Golden Axe Beast Rider:  The only reason to play this is because Tyris has a nice boo-tay.  I still want to finish this game, one day.  It's hard to find the motivation, though thanks to an overly complicated battle system and overpowering enemies.  The game just doesn't have that "I'm one with the character" feeling that the good Hack N Slash games have.

-- This thread reminds me that I still need to play Castlevania LOS.  I'll put that on my list of great games that I still need to buy.  Also, I'm sure some know it all is going to come into this thread and say than none of these games are Hack N Slash games at all.  Shut the fuck up, know it all.  We already know that.  You know what we mean so just leave us alone.