By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 46% of Mississippi Republicans think interracial marriage should be banned

A new poll gauging Mississippi Republicans' preferences going into the 2012 election ended up revealing something more startling: 46 percent of GOP voters in the state think interracial marriage should be illegal.

Results were announced Thursday by Public Policy Polling, a polling firm based in North Carolina. The company asked 400 Republican primary voters about their preferences for candidates for state and national offices, as well as their views on interracial marriage.

jupiterimages
In Mississippi, 46 percent of GOP primary voters think interracial marriage should be illegal, according to a new poll. Only 40 percent said it should be permitted.

A whopping 46 percent of likely GOP primary voters said they think interracial marriage should be illegal, while only 40 percent said they think it should be allowed. Another 14 percent said they were unsure.

It was only 45 years ago that Mississippi legalized interracial marriage, and this poll indicates it continues to be a controversial subject.

The poll also found that Mississippi Republicans back Haley Barbour, their outgoing governor, to run for president on the GOP ticket in 2012. Barbour had 37 percent of respondents' support, followed by Mike Huckabee with 19 percent and Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin tied for third place with 10 percent each.

The PPP poll also revealed that Palin has more support among voters who believe interracial marriage should be illegal than among those who are OK with it. Mitt Romney's numbers reveal just the opposite. He has a higher favorability among Mississippi Republicans who want interracial marriage to remain legal.

Sponsored Links

The poll was conducted by telephone between March 24 and 27 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percent.

PPP describes itself as a nonpartisan polling firm, but it has been described in other media as a Democratic-leaning company.

The firm also conducted a separate poll of non-Republican voters, asking them the same question about interracial marriage. Those results are expected to be released in the coming weeks, along with those from another PPP poll asking Mississippi voters whether they think the right side -- the North or South -- won the Civil War.

I'm really at a loss of words.

BTW, I'm not trying to criticize all republicans for thinking this way.  I know there are many more reasonable than this.

I just don't know what to say.  Really.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

these numbers seem suspicious.  where are the democrats numbers?  why just republicans and non-republicans?    how were these 400 people selected?  how was the question phrased? 

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:

these numbers seem suspicious.  where are the democrats numbers?  why just republicans and non-republicans?    how were these 400 people selected?  how was the question phrased? 

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MS_0407915.pdf

To quote,

"Do you think interracial marriage should be legal or illegal?"

It doesn't get more straightforward than that.

And this is 400 GOP primary voters - it's for the sake of getting an indication of where the party's voters stand now. Democrat numbers would be meaningless in this context (as would this particular question - if you asked this of  democrats, the vast majority would assume you're being satirical)

OT:

Hahaha, wow, that's something all right

Seems the GOP still has the mentality of segregation. Not to shocked actually.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

No shock there, there are folks in the South that still cling to the old ways.  Places like Rural Alabama are worse as the KKK still runs strong there.

Around the Network

"I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice".

No one likes Mississippi anyways... 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Khuutra said:
MrBubbles said:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MS_0407915.pdf

To quote,

"Do you think interracial marriage should be legal or illegal?"

It doesn't get more straightforward than that.

And how many polled were aware what interracial meant?

And this is 400 GOP primary voters - it's for the sake of getting an indication of where the party's voters stand now. Democrat numbers would be meaningless in this context (as would this particular question - if you asked this of  democrats, the vast majority would assume you're being satirical)

Only 400? That's not a good sample size for a poll, also, depending on where the people are from, what religion, and what lifestyle these people lead (all that information is avalable to the polling company) the results can be skewed.

OT:

Hahaha, wow, that's something all right

I tend to take polls with a grain of salt because time and time again, once facts about the polling proceedures are revieled, it turns out the results were a result of selective polling.

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

dsister said:

No one likes Mississippi anyways... 

Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, South Carolina >>>> California

ssj12 said:

Seems the GOP still has the mentality of segregation. Not to shocked actually.

And what about the Democrats? Always trying to separate races, trying to agitate by insinuating racism where none exists. And don't get me started on the shovanists in the Democrat party... If you think segragation only exists in the Republican party...well, you need to check your facts.

"with great power, comes great responsibility."