By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anon takes down Sony website!

leatherhat said:

You did not just compare this to the civil rights movement did you? Mother of God. 

Back in the day I used to be one of those stoners hanging out 420 chans /i/ board. We were just hanging out and dicking around while messing with some people. Now its snowballed into some pathetic fantasy of freedom fighting. Geohot was just a guy who was looking for some e-cred and spread around his ps3 hack. Sony slapped him down. He isn't a martyr or anything else. Hes just a guy who called too much attention to himself. 

And of course theres the simple fact that vastly different people associate themselves with anon, and the ones with any hacking skills are busy doing actual meaningful stuff with wikileaks and such. These are just a bunch of kids with babys first DDoS tools. 

Movements do evolve past their beginnings, and I do know several hackers that I've worked personally with on my past anime websites. they all apart of anonymous, and they are by far the types of people that one should greatly fear in cyberspace.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:

You did not just compare this to the civil rights movement did you? Mother of God. 

Back in the day I used to be one of those stoners hanging out 420 chans /i/ board. We were just hanging out and dicking around while messing with some people. Now its snowballed into some pathetic fantasy of freedom fighting. Geohot was just a guy who was looking for some e-cred and spread around his ps3 hack. Sony slapped him down. He isn't a martyr or anything else. Hes just a guy who called too much attention to himself. 

And of course theres the simple fact that vastly different people associate themselves with anon, and the ones with any hacking skills are busy doing actual meaningful stuff with wikileaks and such. These are just a bunch of kids with babys first DDoS tools. 

Movements do evolve past their beginnings, and I do know several hackers that I've worked personally with on my past anime websites. they all apart of anonymous, and they are by far the types of people that one should greatly fear in cyberspace.

And are they working on this project? And if so why don't they try to go after some of the real injustices in the world? Where was anonymous during the Wisonconsin incident? 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Doobie_wop said:
fordy said:
Doobie_wop said:
ssj12 said:
Doobie_wop said:
ssj12 said:
Doobie_wop said:

We fight for consumer rights!

*Takes down PSN and hurts the service that millions of people use*

We only for fight for some consumer rights that appeal to a minority, every other consumer can go fuck themselves!

Anon and their fans are hypocrits.

sometimes the majority must suffer in-order for change to occur. and if they do what Im thinking they will, it will benefit consumers for a little bit. free content!

Your a fool and I don't think I'm going to talk to someone who is willing to exploit the innocent just so they can get some free games and some internet cred.

Its not about free games or internet cred. its about whats right. I have the right to modify my console, and help others be able to do so. Its like cell phones, they can be legally modified and jackbreak software is regularly available. What is the difference between a console and cell phone in terms of electronics? nothing, they both are specialized computers. So if i can modify my cell phone, I can modify my console. If the instructions to modify more cell phone is online, so should the instructions to modify my console.

This isn't a Civil War, this isn't even a national crisis, this is a bunch of hackers getting pissed off because they can't get what they want. Consumers are happy with what they've got and now the 'freedom fighters' have come along to ruin the services we already have and like. 

You do not get to choose what the rights of millions of people are.

You do not have the right to fight for my rights.

You do not have the right to fight for your rights and act as if your special, knowing that it'll hurt the rights of millions to feel safe and use a good service that they agreed to.

You do have the right to hack your console, but you don't have the right to go on Sonys PSN services or buy any of Sonys games.

You do not have the right to pick and choose between what is right and wrong. Hackers do not make laws, they are meant to follow them.

You do not have the right to take advantage of the innocent bystanders of this situation, which includes developers, other publishers and consumers.

You do not represent me, you do not represent the majority, you do not represent freedom.

We are Consumers.

We were happy.

We do not forget

We do not put up with needless bullshit.

Piss off.

I'd like to see some kind of opinion poll where you get your facts from, because it isn't safe to say whether the majority support or oppose this. In fact, I'd be safe to say that the majority are in the "no opinion" category.

So what gives you the right to speak for those people, or lobby that you want corporate crackdown on consumer bought hardware? These people are consumers, too. They bought their PS3, so do not treat them as anyone lower than yourself.

Anyone can say they represent the majority, but unless you can back those words up, it's nothing but hot air.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of PS3 owners who use PSN are going to be pissed off that their service was taken offline, just because a few hackers wanted things their way. If they also felt that Sony was being the big bad world in this situation, then they would have reacted. Sony has done nothing to them, so they have no need to freak out about something this silly, on the other hand though, hackers have taken down their service. Sony does nothing bad, hackers attack the consumers right to go on PSN, I wonder which side they'd choose.

I'm pretty sure the majority of PS3 owners weren't online all at the same time to notice it. Once again, no facts, no persuasion.

They HAVE reacted. These are the consumers you are telling to quote "piss off".

Yeah, Sony are the big, innocent corporation here crying out buttrape. How about this? Instead of banning homebrew PS3s from PSN with extreme predjudice, why not enforce regulation of those consoles who DO cause damage to others? Why not? Because Sony do not wish to spend the money on doing procedures the right way, and are sending their brainwashed followers in to do their lobbying.

There is more than one way around this. Sony chose the 'cheaper, but hurt more of their base' path. And you're complaining when those consumers make a stand against this? That is pathetic.

ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:

You dont find it in the least bit strange how much you revere these people?  To the point it practically sounds like your worshipping them?  In some ways I see Anons point of view on this stuff but I think their methods need some work for sure, they are hurting the people they are claiming to help if they bring PSN down.

leatherhat said:
ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:

And are they working on this project? And if so why don't they try to go after some of the real injustices in the world? Where was anonymous during the Wisonconsin incident? 

no clue if they are apart of the anon group doing this. doubt it though as this is way to low level for them. If we were talking a Dox attack, maybe, this no. And Anon is completely decentralized in nature so if the collective does not agree with who or what to focus on, it doesnt happen.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:
ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:

no clue if they are apart of the anon group doing this. doubt it though as this is way to low level for them. If we were talking a Dox attack, maybe, this no. And Anon is completely decentralized in nature so if the collective does not agree with who or what to focus on, it doesnt happen.

We'll hopefully they put their skills to good use. Listen, I agree with you that individual rights must be protected in the face of corporations, I just think you are blowing this whole thing a little out of porportion. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

BenVTrigger said:
ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:

You dont find it in the least bit strange how much you revere these people?  To the point it practically sounds like your worshipping them?  In some ways I see Anons point of view on this stuff but I think their methods need some work for sure, they are hurting the people they are claiming to help if they bring PSN down.

Its because I have worked with members before and stood next to them during the protests of Scientology. While I might not agree with one collective's goals for one target or focus, some I can. This I can. Traditionally wars limit civilian casualties, but since at least in terms of DDoS attacks are temporary, its easily forgiven since ones a DDoS attack stops the servers just need a reboot at the worst. 

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

leatherhat said:
ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:
ssj12 said:
leatherhat said:

We'll hopefully they put their skills to good use. Listen, I agree with you that individual rights must be protected in the face of corporations, I just think you are blowing this whole thing a little out of porportion. 

I've voiced my opinions with no avail (to Sony), so the only choice there is to blow things up a bit. And for the most part I've stated everything soundly on my views of how things are going and from experience and knowledge I know the basics of how Anon runs. While I used extreme metaphors and examples, I think I can say that I've answered things the way they needed to be based on the more and more extreme nature of the chat that has flared up.

Forget the fact that ssj12 seems to revere anonymous, you should probably be more worried that he's a writer for the site.

In any case it probably won't be long before anonymous goes after someone in a heavy lobbying industry at which point there is a good chance it could be game over for privacy on the internet (some people refer to it as a right but I don't know if we should go that far).  Governments have already been looking for reasons to force ISP to allow them to do wiretaps on the internet similar to phone lines, I'm not sure giving them a reason to point to is a great idea.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think.