By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony sticks its penis in the hornet's nest?

Will Sony sticks its penis in the hornet's nest?

Yes 158 72.81%

No 59 27.19%

Total:217
Tigerlure said:
Euphoria14 said:
Tigerlure said:

Alright, so me and other gamers might end up without the PSN because some group decides that Sony infringes on their rights?

To all you consumer rights people on here, how does that help me and the other millions of consumers rights who buy a PS3 to play games?

What's more important to you? PSN or your consumer rights to do what you please with the stuff you purchase?

You act like PSN is going to be down forever.

Well the situation I have concerning my consumer rights is fine. I dont intend to hack my PS3 in the foreseeable future. Same with my iPod Touch, and Android phone. It already does what I need it to do, and I think I'm safe to say the majority of the millions of other customers for each of these devices feel the same way.

Tell that to owners of the Samsung Galaxy devices, which happen to be one of the best selling Android phones.

I am not sure if majority of the Sony supports realize what could happen if Sony wins this case.

It doesn't matter if you think majority doesn't care. The fact is that there are millions who do.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Seihyouken said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

What about my rights as a consumer to be able to use a service that fecktards with no jobs spend their lives trying to ruin. Fuck Anon! Fuck them in the arse until they get hemorrhoids that then burst and get infected and they need rectalplasties.

What about all the people that paid $600 to use Other OS on their system only for Sony to take out the feature for the sole purpose of their own greed?

The option to not upgrade your firmware was made available. If you paid $600 for Other OS, you had the option to keep it. You got everything you were advertised and sold when you spent money on your PS3. If you chose not to upgrade it meant having to sacrifice access to  PSN and the ability to play newer games, but those aren't things you were ever promised or entitled to when you bought your system.

You completely missed the point, some people did buy the system to play the latest games and use Other OS.  What Sony did by removing that feature I can guarantee you is illegal in some countries but what 20 something male can afford a court case to fight the likes of Sony?

Why should a consumer have to sacrifice anything with no compensation for the loss of features.  I'm sick of reading mindless drones harp on like Sony did no wrong in this.  They tried to f**k over some of the userbase and now they act like the shitstorm that follows isn't their fault.  I bought and therefor own my hardware, Sony had no right to disable features advertised when I bought it.  Fair enough they can revoke my access to PSN that is their right but not to stop me playing the latest games, I only hope someone can actually fight for the consumer and prove this point in court at some point.

Lets just hypothesize that Sony decide the only way they can fight piracy next is to release a update that means you cannot play games unless you're connected to PSN hence they can detect your firmware.  This DRM would then leave millions unable to use their consoles if they aren't connected online.  Would this be acceptable?  How far are you willing to be shafted, before you stand up for yourself exactly?

For those people whinging about losing out on a short time on PSN you're part of the reason it got this far.  Had all consumers actually complained to Sony rather than making excuses on their behalf something might have been done to steer Sony away from the path they took.  Don't forget this all started when the other OS feature was removed because a potential exploit was found for old systems to fully utilize the PS3.  They already had no Other OS on slims so it wouldn't have been a huge issue until they forced Geohotz to go all out to protect his rep for them removing Other OS.  This resulted directly in all PS3's becoming fully hacked and the root key posted online.

Euphoria14 said:
goforgold said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

What about my rights as a consumer to be able to use a service that fecktards with no jobs spend their lives trying to ruin. Fuck Anon! Fuck them in the arse until they get hemorrhoids that then burst and get infected and they need rectalplasties.

What about all the people that paid $600 to use Other OS on their system only for Sony to take out the feature for the sole purpose of their own greed?

their own greed, your joking right

*facepalm* because your not

There is a court case about Sony removing Linux to save costs on licensing and not because of security reasons, so no he isn't joking.

how much money do you think Sony is saving on removing other os?  bucket loads I'd bet, I mean I'd wager they put the feature in JUST so they could remove it to save SOO much money, I mean it's not like they launched the ps3 for 250 dollars less than what it's worth, they have been profiting off of the ps3 this entire time, and removed other os.....just to mess with people and of course save SOOO much  money, greedy bastards, who are they to modify shit THEY OWN.

I could go forever.....and you still wouldn't get it -_-

kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

How does hacking the websites fix that?

Hacking the websites does not fix that but i guess they want to send a message to Sony that they are not in control. It was Sony's choice to piss off hackers when they decided to remove Other OS. Anyone could have seen it coming and I still think the best thing for Sony to do is apologise, put back Other OS and work with the hackers that can fix the piracy problem instead of sueing them for something they are not responsible for. Knowing Sony and the way they do business they wont do neither.

All it does is really fucking annoy the consumer they are apparently fighting for. Other OS users are a minority, it has also already been unlocked so what exactly do Anon have to gain from this?

They are just a bunch of cunts with a an elevated sense of self importance.

Minority? The Black Panther movement was a minority. Look at the damage they did in the 60s when they wanted equality. Read the letter at the beginning and see their purpose for it.

comparing the removal of a feature of an electronic device to racial equality?

Freedom seems like the same thing to me. Read the letter at the start they explained their purpose.

I read the letter, I fail to see how their reasons justify their actions.  You don't have the right to smash the shit out of someones place of business if they breach your consumer rights, why should you have the right to do the same if their place of business is online? Nothing about this is for the consumer at all. Its about the bragging rights and causing as much disruption as possible no matter who is affected.

Kasz216 said:
Tigerlure said:
Kasz216 said:
Tigerlure said:

Alright, so me and other gamers might end up without the PSN because some group decides that Sony infringes on their rights?

To all you consumer rights people on here, how does that help me and the other millions of consumers rights who buy a PS3 to play games?

That's kinda like asking how it helps people who want to get an education, when a building gets shut down because of a protest.

The answer?  Stop thinking so short term.

So I'm thinking short term because I can't see how this will help the majority of PS3 owners in any way? Assuming this group gets whatever they want ( I assume Linux and freedom to hack their PS3s), thats a small minority of PS3 Gamers.

A)  A minorities rights are worth a damn because they inconveince the majority.

Seriously, this is the arguement you want to go with.

B) It goes on much past that however, since the legal arguement sony has applied is they can literally do anything they want to your PS3 to make you buy a new one.

Including removing things like Blu-ray playback or intentionally brick yours for no reason if they feel like it.

According to Sony, it's perfectly legal for them to brick out of warranty consoles at will, randomly for whatever reason.  If you can't see why that should be illegal... well ok.

I don't know what to say.

Most of them have not done any research on the situation. If Sony wins the Geohot case all the Sony products you bought will still be owned by them and they can do as they please with it. Thats the reality of the situation and it seems people could not be bothered.

Around the Network
hehey said:
Euphoria14 said:
hehey said:
Kasz216 said:
Tigerlure said:

That's kinda like asking how it helps people who want to get an education, when a building gets shut down because of a protest.

The real answer is that it doesnt, most consumers are not hakers so the only thing athat affects them in this case is a bunch of dick hakers are messing up their gaming experiences.

Wrong. If Sony wins the case then it doesn't just affect your PS3, it will end up affecting any peice of technology you purchase.

If you wish to pay full price to only rent something then more power to you. I on the other hand like to fiddle with shit I buy.

Maybe in conspiracy land or whatever fantasy world your living in. But here, in the real world the sequence of events goes like this: "hakers tried to hack, Sony tries to stop them, Hakers succesfully hack, sony sues their asses, then hakers decide to take down PSN and mess up the experiences of millions of gamers".

I and the majority of consumers have no interesting in haking, i buy game consoles to oplay games on them. If Sony wins then i am not hurt in any way, actually i benefit cause i dont have to worry about hakers on PSN.

You're not hurt, but I am.

What makes YOU special?

Answer that? I hope the answer isn't: "Because I am in the majority" because that argument is weak.

Majority may not hack, but that "majority" does not necessarily include people who wish to mod their hardware, run homebrew on official firmwares, etc...

If you think all of those people exist within the same group then you are mistaken.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

ssj12 said:
kitler53 said:
ssj12 said:
goforgold said:

your naivety and ignorance is astounding, yeah you fucking hope they won't go that far is more like it

eh, really I couldn't care either way. I expect them to just hack the PSN, drop prices, and maybe block the admins forcing the network division to have to hack their own service to change things back.

It will be an epic knockout punch either way. Just one will be a sucker punch that leads to the knockout, and the other will be a brutal punch straight to the nose with brass knuckles.

i'm quickly learning you are a very very scary person.  the posts i've seen you make lately really scare the hell out of me. 

I believe and support certain things, Freedom of Information, Civil Rights, and Freedom of Property are three. Sony is violating all three and should be stopped. And the justice system really can't be trusted as its easily bought out and unjust. Its the people who need to stand up for their rights.

its called vigilantism and it helps no one

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Cunning_Linguist said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

How does hacking the websites fix that?

Hacking the websites does not fix that but i guess they want to send a message to Sony that they are not in control. It was Sony's choice to piss off hackers when they decided to remove Other OS. Anyone could have seen it coming and I still think the best thing for Sony to do is apologise, put back Other OS and work with the hackers that can fix the piracy problem instead of sueing them for something they are not responsible for. Knowing Sony and the way they do business they wont do neither.

All it does is really fucking annoy the consumer they are apparently fighting for. Other OS users are a minority, it has also already been unlocked so what exactly do Anon have to gain from this?

They are just a bunch of cunts with a an elevated sense of self importance.

Minority? The Black Panther movement was a minority. Look at the damage they did in the 60s when they wanted equality. Read the letter at the beginning and see their purpose for it.

comparing the removal of a feature of an electronic device to racial equality?

Freedom seems like the same thing to me. Read the letter at the start they explained their purpose.

I read the letter, I fail to see how their reasons justify their actions.  You don't have the right to smash the shit out of someones place of business if they breach your consumer rights, why should you have the right to do the same if their place of business is online? Nothing about this is for the consumer at all. Its about the bragging rights and causing as much disruption as possible no matter who is affected.

Well Sony had a choice di they not? Anyone could have seen this coming as I stated before. You dont go sticking your d**k into a hornets nest and expect to get an erection do you?

Euphoria14 said:
hehey said:
Euphoria14 said:
hehey said:
Kasz216 said:
Tigerlure said:

The real answer is that it doesnt, most consumers are not hakers so the only thing athat affects them in this case is a bunch of dick hakers are messing up their gaming experiences.

Wrong. If Sony wins the case then it doesn't just affect your PS3, it will end up affecting any peice of technology you purchase.

If you wish to pay full price to only rent something then more power to you. I on the other hand like to fiddle with shit I buy.

Maybe in conspiracy land or whatever fantasy world your living in. But here, in the real world the sequence of events goes like this: "hakers tried to hack, Sony tries to stop them, Hakers succesfully hack, sony sues their asses, then hakers decide to take down PSN and mess up the experiences of millions of gamers".

I and the majority of consumers have no interesting in haking, i buy game consoles to oplay games on them. If Sony wins then i am not hurt in any way, actually i benefit cause i dont have to worry about hakers on PSN.

You're not hurt, but I am.

What makes YOU special?

Answer that? I hope the answer isn't: "Because I am in the majority" because that argument is weak.

Majority may not hack, but that "majority" does not necessarily include people who wish to mod their hardware, run homebrew on official firmwares, etc...

If you think all of those people exist within the same group then you are mistaken.

Get an xbox, microsoft doesnt mind hombrewers and the rest of your kind.

The rest of us would preffer no hakers on psn, psn is a better place when there arent any hakers in there.

goforgold said:
Euphoria14 said:
goforgold said:
kcoward said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

their own greed, your joking right

*facepalm* because your not

There is a court case about Sony removing Linux to save costs on licensing and not because of security reasons, so no he isn't joking.

how much money do you think Sony is saving on removing other os? Fucking bucket loads I'd bet, I mean I'd wager they put the feature in JUST so they could remove it to save SOO much money, I mean it's not like they launched the damn ps3 for 250 dollars less than what it's worth, they have been profiting off of the ps3 this entire time, and removed other os.....just to fuck with people and of course save SOOO much fucking money, greedy bastards, who are they to modify shit THEY FUCKING OWN.

I could go forever.....and you still wouldn't get it -_-

You act as if getting angry makes your argument stronger.

Point is simple. You are supporting the lose of rights for security in online video games. I understand your argument just well, however I also know that company will continually create fixes to deal with future online issues.

However, you can't so easily create a fix for your lost rights.

Go ahead and think that I am the one not understanding things though. At least I know I am on my side and not on the side of corporation for the sole interest of my video games, which aren't going to suddenly vanish.

Currently playing: