By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ps3 active install base passes x360

BOSTON -- Sony’s PS3 games console passed Microsoft’s Xbox 360 to become the number two TV console worldwide by the end of 2010, according to the latest research published by Strategy Analytics’ Connected Home Devices service. According to the report, “Global TV Games Console Forecast: Will New Sensor Technology Revive the Demand?”, the active installed base of PS3s reached 43.4 million by the end of 2010, compared to 42.9 million Xbox 360s. Nintendo’s Wii remained the number one global TV console with 75.5 million active devices.

“While the Kinect peripheral has given a boost to Microsoft’s Xbox 360 strategy, the console’s performance outside of the US continues to disappoint,” says report author, Jia Wu, Senior Analyst in Strategy Analytics’ Digital Consumer Practice. “Global demand for Sony’s PS3 has exceeded that of the Xbox 360 in each of the past two years, and we expect that to continue over the coming years.”

The report predicts that global sales of the Xbox 360 will further increase to 13.7 million in 2011. Global sales of the PS3 will also expand to reach 15.7 million units. The Wii’s decline will continue, with sales falling to just over 10 million units, taking the console from first to third place in sales rankings. The report predicts that Nintendo will launch a Wii successor within the next 12 months.

Read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2011/03/31/2989252/strategy-analytics-ps3-passes.html#ixzz1ID0XqW4S

___________________________________________________________________________________

so by this, there are more people playing ps3s than x360s? also, they expect the gap between sales to shrink by 2 million this year (in favor of ps3), also wii2 coming within a year? lots of predictions

Around the Network

Of course. It's hard to be active when you have NO GAEMZ! (I'm not sure how Wii owners are managing to do it, though.)

Was just about ot post this, Great news for PS3 fans, dont have to put up with the 360 sales debate! could be shipment but sony said at the conference (GDC? i think) they sold 43.4 units well doen PS3 is true! but there stoll on like 4m off anyways :)

I owned a 360 for 7 months and i realised there is no point will all the PS3 games coming out this year Uncharted 3 <3

PSN : Stocko

Currently Playing : Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3, 9/10) Ar Tonelico Qoga (PS3, 8/10) MVC3 (PS3, 9/10) Pokemon Black (DS, 9/10) Dissidia 012 (PSP, 10/10), God Eater Burst (PSP, 9/10)

It's because the Xbox 360 RROD error... these consoles are not more active.

So the numbers could be true.

Pretty much impossible to figure out what's active and what isn't. So until PS3 passes it shipping wise, you're just clinging on to whatever you can.

Wii around 10 mill units this year? I don't think so .. ..

Around the Network

I wonder what they mean with active installed base. Either PS3 and Xbox 360 has in reality a much higher install base, the Xbox 360 has  actually 10 Millions more than they estimate here, the Wii also has real 11 Million more than here and the PS3 has 6 Million more. They undertracked all Konsoles heavy.