By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS perfectly follows the PS3 path to success

Soleron said:

Both launched without a strong first party title (that makes people pick up the system).

So the sequel to the 10th best selling game on VGChartz doesn't count as strong?

Around the Network

No. Just no

Besides the fact that most of your facts are wrong (as have already been pointed out), it's far too soon to see any definitive trends yet. And 3D is nothing like HD...

But the biggest failing for the PS3 was not the price, but the release date and the fact it was released in direct competition with the Wii, a game-changer that everyone wanted and was talking about. If you didn't want a Wii, you'd get a 360, because it was less than half the price, and had way more games at the time than the PS3. Why spend over $300 more to get a console with less games and less support?

Now, with the 3DS, it has brand recognition (DS), it has an awesome line-up of games in the pipeline, it has Nintendo behind it, and it's up against the NGP, which could easily be over-expensive and focused on things other than games. If it ends up being over $300, then I don't see anyway that it can even remain competitiove. Remember that the 3DS will already have been out for a year, sold about 10 million, have a good games lineup, have all its features and have good word of mouth, as well as being cheaper. NGP can't compete with that...

Is it possible that the 3DS won't sell as well as the DS? It's possible, but it's too early to tell. To say it's like the PS3-PS2 is nieve and judgemental

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

scottie said:
Soleron said:

Both launched without a strong first party title (that makes people pick up the system).

So the sequel to the 10th best selling game on VGChartz doesn't count as strong?

Is it selling hardware?

I guess we can't tell yet, we're still in the early-adopter phase where people (including me) are picking it up with no games.

I Love my PS3 probably more than any game console I have owned since 1996. It does everything I could ever want, I am always playing games on it, downloading mini's, always watching 1 of the 70 or so movies I have downloaded into the videos section, listening to music while I play a picture slide show, browsing the web, checking my facebook (mobile facebook is great on the PS3 browswer, m.facebook.com) video chatting with my friend who is in the army and lives in another state now, playing Sports Champions and SingStar Dance with all my friends. I am more than satisfied with every dollar I paid for my PS3, and I would probably regret if I got a different HD console. Oh and I also plan on getting a 3DS, I guess this makes me stupid, right? 

ouch ^^

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

@soleron  wasnt resistance a launch title?? im i missing something?

Erik Aston said:

The system costs $250, which is 2 to 3 times what previous handhelds were sold for.

?

UK Prices which either I or my cousin paid @ Launch (all from Amazon UK):

DS/DSlite - £100 ($161)

DSi/DSiXL - £150 ($242)

Original PSP - £180 ($290)

3DS - £186 ($300)

while it is worth noting that the 3DS' price dropped rapidly due to the forces of competition, I pre-ordered mine at Amazon when it was £219 ($353), something which didn't really happen to the others, the launch prices above tell the true story.  No, just no.

just, no

in 3DSs defense they have a way better launch than PS3 did. Oh sure a good chunk of the games or ports/remakes, but dammit, at least there ports of great games

but he ps3 doubled the price of it's successor at launch

the 3ds i believe is only $50 higher than it's successor

I feel bad for all of you that dont already have one >.<