By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare: We've Only Used 10% Of Kinect's Technical Capabilities

Yes, but the Playstation 3 is a complex console. Kinect is a camera. I don't see how you can develop for "10% of capabilities" of a CAMERA.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

Yes, but the Playstation 3 is a complex console. Kinect is a camera. I don't see how you can develop for "10% of capabilities" of a CAMERA.

You're confusing Kinect with the Live Vision webcam peripheral.

this thing can onlt get better.  with continual updates and wide range investment from developers, kinect will become what they were hoping over time- like all game systems

Why are people ripping on Kinect Sports? It's a pretty solid game, the best along with Dance Central, for Kinect.

Viva Pinata is a solid game as well, Rare get bashed far too much and compared to yesteryear.

It's also people that likely WANT rare games to suck, always PS3 and Wii owners that wouldn't play them either way ...

The most critical question now is when will we see the remaining 90%?

The reason is because the general concensus seems to be that the 10% is neither impressive nor groundbreaking in the realm of gaming.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Why are people ripping on Kinect Sports? It's a pretty solid game, the best along with Dance Central, for Kinect.

Viva Pinata is a solid game as well, Rare get bashed far too much and compared to yesteryear.

It's also people that likely WANT rare games to suck, always PS3 and Wii owners that wouldn't play them either way ...

Or they are like me and have played the games of the new Rare. Well, not Viva Pinata or Kinect Sports, but games like Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker, Kameo and Banjo which range from disapointing to "I can't believe they released this".

You chose the sucky ones then, self inflicting rol?

Soleron said:

If they thought they could extract more in the future, why did they lay off half their staff?

Lol, that's good. Maybe those that got laid off disagreed.

I hate when developers say crap like this about any system.If it's there why the heck didn't they use it and I don't buy into that nonsense about it being new.

Yes, these things do get better as developers get the hang of them but they had been anticipating this since 2005.

No point arguing, let's see what they come with next and then hold them to this quote.

Seece said:

I think it's because they were one of the greats - almost every game was gold. Now they're a middling studio and people are still getting their hopes up for some reason.

On the topic saying '10%' of something that can't really by quantified is just stupid. However Kinect is pretty cool - using it for some computer vision stuff at the moment and it's nifty tech. I'll admit I underestimated it before launch.

This is good to hear.  I like when I hear more about the future of Kinect and the comment about the hacks was VERY reasurring that we are going to see some great applications of this tech going forward.

Say what you will, but after playing Nuts & Bolts, I'm excited about the creative energy that Rare still obviously have.  As far as big dev studios, they've taken more risks this gen than anyone else by far and Kinect NEEDS developers that think like that (though their first release was predicatably safe).

Hopefully E3 will be a Rare treat.  10 weeks ...

This is like saying a movie only uses 10% of your HDTV.