By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii first party library vs PS3 first party library?

Wii first party library vs PS3 first party library?

PS3 1st party library 175 46.05%

Wii 1st party library 178 46.84%

Both 17 4.47%

Xbox 360 1st party library (vote me) 9 2.37%

Total:379
Acevil said:
patapon said:
Acevil said:
patapon said:
Acevil said:
patapon said:
digitalnasties said:

Forget all Sony games, in ten years time no one will remember them, but people will still be talking about Nintendo Wii games.

The funny thing is that Sony already has games made 10 years ago that are still talked about today

I don't think cult classics are necessarily on the same level as classics. 

Can you please clarify what your comment means?

As in comparing a game that is talked about from niche demographic, compared to a boarder demographic. Sorry if I am not making sense, I am not able to edit some of my work, due to me taking off my glasses.....because I was about to go to sleep. So if my sentences are grammatically incorrect, I am terribly sorry. 

No, no your grammar is fine. It's just that I don't see the differentiation between classics and 'cult classics'. Or at least I do, but not in the sense that digitalnasties is suggesting. He stated Sony games don't have the ability to stand the test of time. I offered an example that contradicted his claims. I have not played Ico personally, but considering the industry recognition from gamers, game sites and game developers I think it more than qualifies for obliterating digitalnasties notion.

Do you agree? Or do you disagree and think that Ico is not talked about today and that nobody remembers it? I'm not sure if you're contradicting me or what's the case. I'm just trying to understand...

Oh i already stated, that I do not agree with the original poster, given it was quick edit, so it might have been missed, but I thought you were comparing Ico to something by nintendo, hence my statement. 

Ah, I didn't see the edit at all! You should have been quicker!!! >:(

As for the comparison to Nintendo, what they make that stands the test of time and what Sony makes that does the same are mutually exclusive. Just because Ico is remembered doesn't mean that we subtract one from Nintendo and vice versa... but I think we agree soooo...

Go to bed :P

Around the Network
Acevil said:
NYANKS said:
Acevil said:
patapon said:
digitalnasties said:

Forget all Sony games, in ten years time no one will remember them, but people will still be talking about Nintendo Wii games.

The funny thing is that Sony already has games made 10 years ago that are still talked about today

I don't think cult classics are necessarily on the same level as classics. Also while I don't agree with the user above, I do think Nintendo has more leverage of making classics, compared to Sony. 

You're right, Ninty has bigger franchises, mostly attributed to one man, but still.  They've also been around longer.  But still, Crash was pretty big.  Crash, Gran Turismo, Legend of Dragoon, Syphon Filter, Wipeout. God of War. Classics.

Also, would Shadow be a cult classic, seeing as nearly everyone has resigned it to being the best game on PS2?

I would say Shadow might not be a cult classic (rather a classic), but ICO for sure is a cult classic.

The other titles, I don't know if I put them necessarily as classics, as some of the titles are not really used to define classics (Syphon Filter, Crash, and Legend of Dragoon). God of War I think is still fresh, so that might still be a wait and see. Gran Tusimo is some type of beast... 

I hope sales aren't influencing you too much here, but I'll assume they aren't.  Okay, so Gran Turismo and Shadow are probably fair to call classics.  Crash's games sold like 3d Mario games and were the closest Sony ever had to a mascot, he even possesses the vaunted Ninty large sales aspect.    Legend of Dragoon proabaly didn't seel amazingly well, but it's a much loved rpg that people always clamor for a remake, and its rep might have actually increased since it released.  God of War....true, it's a bit new, but unless people take back those old reviews calling it the pinnacle of its genre to this day, it will be.  Syphon Filter is the weakest to call of the bunch, but there is no denying it has left its mark by name recognition.  See the thing with Ninty is that you CAN'T forget its franchises, they won't let you, with constant releases (meaning every gen, not calling it a bad thing lol).  Sony has to "make" new classics from scratch every gen, and BUILD new recognition. 

Different strategies, same result.  Many classics games by both companies. 

EDIT: And Sony's number of classics only seem to be accelerating with time....

In my estimation nintendo beats Sony in this regard with ease.

Sony is fighting to have the diversity that Nintendo does and games like Modnation Racers show that...

But then Modnation racers fail to provide that spark that puts them on the sem level quality wise...

Even if they are much better graphically, because Nintendo's current system can't compete on techinical ability...

However, MK Wii not being the best looking thing in the history of ever didn't stop it from destroying many sales records and becoming one of the very best selling video games of all time...

And while Sony is still strugling to catch up in diversity Nintendo is expanding itself in genres it already has a solid foot-hold in... like bringing back DK and Kirby when NSMBWii had absolutely dominated in the sales department (also, that mf'er is truly innovative and awe inspiring at moments even though some people want to ignore that), and the quantity of these games showed that...

Nintendo does not fail to deliver.  They may allow shovelware on their system from 3rd parties, but even their worst games this gen are pretty damn good.  Not just good, and certainly not average, but "if you like this sort of game you will NOT be disappointed" good.

Sony can put out much better looking games and they have hit upon genres Nintendo doesn't do, but in every other aspect Nintendo just owns Sony.  I've had more "oh my god, even if that only lasted a minute it was an awesome gaming experience" moments on the Wii than I have had since I was a child exploring my first video game system.  I've played everything from the Atari 2600 up and no one has managed to drop my jaw like Nintendo has with the Wii (and motion controls only play a fair role in it, with "traditionally" controlled games being just as impressive or moreso).

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

PS3 probably has more 1s party games that interest me than Wii, but those 1st party Wii games that do interest me are better than Sonys.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Around the Network

Sony.

Because the diversity.

FPS, TPS, Action, Adventure, Plataform, Racing, Racing Simulator, Kart, Puzzle, RPG, MMO, Survival Horror, Stealth,     Rhythm, Sports, Party, Music, etc.

Sony cover almost all game generes... and created new like Flower and LBP.

nintendo... 

Zelda, SSBB, DK, Mario kart, mario galaxy...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I would say all, but 3 goes to Nintendo.

But I would like to point out my concerns with the 'quantity' one.  Nintendo releases a lot more 1st party games than Sony on their handhelds resulting in less developers free with home consoles.  I think one should only take 'quantity' into full account when handhelds are considered too.

RolStoppable said:
NYANKS said:
psrock said:
RolStoppable said:

This thread is specifically about first party libraries and I am quite sure that Sony has released more stinkers this generation.

I get what you are saying, but a stinker from Sony gets the same scores as a great game on the Wii, see NSMB Wii vs GT5 scores. How do we seperate them. 

I'm guessing he means move games, thats thte only way I can see this working...even remotely.

If we are going to call GT5 a stinker we are going to get nowhere with this. I edited my previous post with the Metacritic count for first party games that scored under 50 and it's three for the Wii and five for the PS3 (three of these are pre-Move).

Remember this is first party games, not games that are publish by Sony, so studios like Insomniac, The Game Republic and the first LBP game doesn't count as they were made by independent studio contracted by SCE.

Here is the full list of retail release from Sony's world wide development studios along with Metascore:

68 - NBA 07
75 - The Eye of Judgment
74 - Formula One Championship Edition
77 - MLB 07: The Show
84 - MotorStorm
63 - NBA 08
88 - Uncharted Drake's Fortune
84 - Warhawk
80 - Buzz!: Quiz TV
80 - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
85 - MLB 08: The Show
63 - NBA 09 The Inside
82 - MotorStorm Pacific Rift
63 - SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
78 - Siren Blood Curse
91 - Killzone 2
90 - MLB 09: The Show
96 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
70 - EyePet
76 - MAG
91 - MLB 10 The Show
92 - God of War III
76 - Sports Champions
36 - Kung Fu Rider
56 - TV Superstars

84 - Gran Turismo 5
91 - LittleBigPlanet 2
67 - DC Universe Online (Please note that the PC version has higher score, this is the correct score)
84 - killzone 3

I've omitted 2 first party published games: Singstar (82) and Buzz TV (80) as both game has scores of expansion retail releases that I simply cannot keep track of that are generally inferior with regards to Metascore, though most tends to be around high 60's to high 70's.

You will also be suprise to know that the vast majority of crap MOVE game are actually not made by first party developer but from independent studio that were contracted by Sony. The only game in that list below 50 is Kung Fu rider and the next and only game that is below is 60 is TV Superstars.

I would do the same for Nintendo but I am not familiar with their internal studio and so cannot tell when an independent studio actually made the game.

ChichiriMuyo said:

In my estimation nintendo beats Sony in this regard with ease.

Sony is fighting to have the diversity that Nintendo does and games like Modnation Racers show that...

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB