By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Official Halo Lore and Universe Thread

kitler53 said:
@above (i'm in hawaii and quotes don't seem to work on the mobile).

1) thanks
2) how many novels are we talking here to get the full story?

There are currently 8 main timeline novels for Halo already released with two more being written right now.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Potable_Toe said:
BenVTrigger said:
smroadkill15 said:
Awesome thread! It makes me laugh when I hear people say Halo universe isn't very deep, but in actuality it's probably one of the deepest and most engaging universes in video game history.

Thanks I'll be keeping this thread alive and going for a long while still especially now that there will be plenty of new story related stuff to discuss with Halo 4 on the way and the CE remake!

And personally I believe Halo has the single deepest story of any game in any genre in the history of gameing.  Perhaps not always the best storytelling but in terms of depth there isn't really anything near on its level

And with the new books being released, namely Cryptum squel and Ghosts of Onyx 2....

To be honest I feel bad calling myself a Halo fan when I have yet to complete Halo Wars and finish the Cole Protocol :(

Ghosts of Onyx 2 is the one that takes place after Halo 3? 

Well Ghosts of Onyx 1 took place over a long period of time and the mainly covers the creation of the Spartan III's and their trainer, mentor, and supervisor the Spartan II Kurt 051.

Basically Ghosts of Onyx left off with a major cliff hanger because the planet Onyx the UNSC was using to secretly train the Spartan III's was actually a Forerunner shield world created to keep Forerunners and other creatures alive in the event of the Halo rings being lit.  At the end of the book Dr. Halsey, the Spartan II's Fred and Kelly, and several surviving Spartan III's end up trapped in a Dyson Sphere in the heart of the planet.  Basically anyting could be inside including living Forerunners. 

The majority of the universe had zero idea Onyx even existed in the first place so no one knows to look for them and even if they did they would have never found them because as part of the Dyson Sphere's defense it went into slipspace. 

So basically Ghosts of Onyx 2 will probably tell the story of the survivors inside Onyx and what they discovered there. And yes will probably take place after Halo 3 or at the same time since I believe the final events of Ghosts of Onyx transpire during Halo 2's timeframe.

I wanted to say 'is this the one written by Karen Traviss'?  Because she is writing one that takes place after Halo 3;..But it could be that it is now called Ghosts of Onyx 2...   A bit confused about it...

Lostplanet22 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Potable_Toe said:
BenVTrigger said:
smroadkill15 said:
Awesome thread! It makes me laugh when I hear people say Halo universe isn't very deep, but in actuality it's probably one of the deepest and most engaging universes in video game history.

Thanks I'll be keeping this thread alive and going for a long while still especially now that there will be plenty of new story related stuff to discuss with Halo 4 on the way and the CE remake!

And personally I believe Halo has the single deepest story of any game in any genre in the history of gameing.  Perhaps not always the best storytelling but in terms of depth there isn't really anything near on its level

And with the new books being released, namely Cryptum squel and Ghosts of Onyx 2....

To be honest I feel bad calling myself a Halo fan when I have yet to complete Halo Wars and finish the Cole Protocol :(

Well Ghosts of Onyx 1 took place over a long period of time and the mainly covers the creation of the Spartan III's and their trainer, mentor, and supervisor the Spartan II Kurt 051.

Basically Ghosts of Onyx left off with a major cliff hanger because the planet Onyx the UNSC was using to secretly train the Spartan III's was actually a Forerunner shield world created to keep Forerunners and other creatures alive in the event of the Halo rings being lit.  At the end of the book Dr. Halsey, the Spartan II's Fred and Kelly, and several surviving Spartan III's end up trapped in a Dyson Sphere in the heart of the planet.  Basically anyting could be inside including living Forerunners. 

The majority of the universe had zero idea Onyx even existed in the first place so no one knows to look for them and even if they did they would have never found them because as part of the Dyson Sphere's defense it went into slipspace. 

So basically Ghosts of Onyx 2 will probably tell the story of the survivors inside Onyx and what they discovered there. And yes will probably take place after Halo 3 or at the same time since I believe the final events of Ghosts of Onyx transpire during Halo 2's timeframe.

I wanted to say 'is this the one written by Karen Traviss'?  Because she is writing one that takes place after Halo 3;..But it could be that it is now called Ghosts of Onyx 2...   A bit confused about it...

I found this about the sequel

The Ghost of Onyx sequel is the first novel in a multi-book deal between Tor Books and bestselling writer Karen Traviss, taking place within the Halo universe [1].

Traviss has clarified the term "sequel" in regards to the statement by saying: "It isn't a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx in the sense that you mean a sequel, i.e. a continuation of the same story with the same cast—these novels are just set after it and follow the events of Halo 3. There'll be new characters and new storylines."

So yes Karen Traviss is the author though I'm a little bit dissapointed that she says it won't be a direct continuation.  How the hell are we supposed to know what happened to Dr. Halssey and the others?  I hope she at least explains what happens to them even if that isn't the main goal of the book

kitler53 said:

1) thanks

2) 8 books, around 6-7 comic series and around 10 pages a day (average) are added on Halo nation...

Just play the games if you feel like you want to know more about the Universe then read 'The Fall of Reach' and if you like it be sure you will have a future where you will spend a lot of time reading about the Halo universe :).

BenVTrigger said:
Lostplanet22 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Lostplanet22 said:
Potable_Toe said:
BenVTrigger said:
smroadkill15 said:

The Ghost of Onyx sequel is the first novel in a multi-book deal between Tor Books and bestselling writer Karen Traviss, taking place within the Halo universe [1].

Traviss has clarified the term "sequel" in regards to the statement by saying: "It isn't a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx in the sense that you mean a sequel, i.e. a continuation of the same story with the same cast—these novels are just set after it and follow the events of Halo 3. There'll be new characters and new storylines."

So yes Karen Traviss is the author though I'm a little bit dissapointed that she says it won't be a direct continuation.  How the hell are we supposed to know what happened to Dr. Halssey and the others?  I hope she at least explains what happens to them even if that isn't the main goal of the book

That is good news and I am looking forward to it, she is an excellent writer (loved her Gears of war books;..Yeah read them too =p.)

Around the Network

Man i'm glad this thread got bumped it totally deserved it!
Speaking about the Halo story does anyone know when part 2 of the Forerunner story comes out? The first book was incredible!

BenVTrigger said:
kitler53 said:

1) thanks

There are currently 8 main timeline novels for Halo already released with two more being written right now.

Two more? I know they are working on another forerunner book but whats the second one?

yo_john117 said:
BenVTrigger said:
kitler53 said:

1) thanks

Two more? I know they are working on another forerunner book but whats the second one?

Ghost of Onyx 2 (just a few post above you) =p.

Ontopic:

I was just reading the Halo Forums and I was reading about the spectre....Damned I can't remember the vehicle anymore =p.. (From Halo 2)

Lostplanet22 said:
yo_john117 said:
BenVTrigger said:
kitler53 said:

1) thanks

Ghost of Onyx 2 (just a few post above you) =p.

Ontopic:

I was just reading the Halo Forums and I was reading about the spectre....Damned I can't remember the vehicle anymore =p.. (From Halo 2)

Oh sweet!

And the spectre sucked lol.

BenVTrigger said:

I remember reading that a few days back... I also remember being as disappointed as I am now after reading it again.

Its such a horribly good cliff hanger, it NEEDS to be continued!